+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Winter Olympics 2014. in General; Hey everyone. Who's watching the winter Olympics? What are you looking forward to and what awesomeness have you seen so ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 690 Posts

Winter Olympics 2014.

Hey everyone.

Who's watching the winter Olympics? What are you looking forward to and what awesomeness have you seen so far? Share your thoughts and recommendations with us all here please.

I'm just enjoying the snowboard slope style as I post (roughly 1 hour behind on pause/catch up). Team GB have 2 medal hopefuls in Jamie Nichols and Billy Morgan this morning. Seen some hooooog tricks so far.

Looking forward to seeing loads of stuff. To mention a few: downhill skiing, ski jump, bobsleigh, skeleton and particularity excited by speed skating and ski/boarder cross; love the side by side race events.

Shameful attitudes and politics aside (which is probably fuel for a whole thread of its own), I'm stoked about these games and plan to catch as much of them as possible.

Al

Thank Post
    Cant be bothered. I am boycotting them due to the gay rights situation in Russia. See this documentary

3. 2 Thanks to hawc:

IWDave (8th February 2014), Marshall_IT (8th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hawc View Post
    Cant be bothered. I am boycotting them due to the gay rights situation in Russia. See this documentary
    Same here, I love the Winter Olympics too! I never really bother with the summer ones, none of the 'sports' interest me.

Thank Post
    - Ditto - Don't get me wrong, I wish everyone all the success in the games, I just won't be watching.
    Last edited by IWDave; 8th February 2014 at 01:16 PM.

Thank Post
    For me I love the winter Olympics but there is just too much nonsense associated with this time. From gay right issues to the killing of dogs etc etc etc it has just kind of put me right off this time around.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,825 Posts
    I did wonder about the gay rights issue - and indeed the "gangster" issues which are just as worrying, but I have read several articles that state that it is better to expose these things to the world - after the Beijing Olympics China advanced down the road to democracy a bit faster (yes, yes I KNOW they still aren't there yet and there are many issues around human rights yet to be sorted). As for the killing of dogs in Russia - in China dogs are kept in desperate circumstances and then eaten....
    Those who are not watching because of the gay rights issue - did you watch the Beijing Olympics?
    Every venue has issues. There are all sorts of practices in Brazil that I am sure we could cite as being reason to boycott.

For Russia to have to state its case and defend itself puts it out there and it is possible that these things being exposed to the world's gaze will get them to change more quickly.

8. 2 Thanks to witch:

CAM (10th February 2014), hallb15 (10th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I didn't watch Beijing either.
    But then then didn't bug me as much as I don't like the summer sports.

I think the organizers of these large public events need to make a stand and say either you sort these issues it or you don't get to host these types of events.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have our own legacy of issues around the Olympics. We cleared away homeless people from the venue area and hid them away. The sponsors of the games in London used foreign labour to produce merchandise, paying poverty level wages, with enforced overtime and instant dismissal a worker complained. The medals were made from metal supplied by Rio Tinto, who were allegedly complicit in the deaths of 15000 people.

There's plenty more examples too. So, yes, Russia has major issues that need sorting but we cannot dictate to them to do our bidding. We also shouldn't be punishing the athletes for the actions of the host government.

Me? I'll be watching some curling. :-D

11. Thanks to localzuk from:

Elison (10th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Obviously the attitude to and treatment of homosexuals in Russia is anachronistic, hurtful and just plain wrong. Presumably it would not be changing any time soon either. I personally hope that an event like the Olympics, being a lens for the world's attention, brings issues like these to light and makes social change a little bit more possible. Over the next two weeks there will be hundreds of openly gay athletes and members of the world's media very visibly in Sochi, not to mention thousands of visitors who are friends, colleagues and supporters of those high profile individuals. Maybe we'll see some sort of protest in the form of interviews or podium gestures, maybe not, but either way the issue of gay rights in Russia has undoubtedly been highlighted and I hope it leads to change.

Al

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall_IT View Post
    I think the organizers of these large public events need to make a stand and say either you sort these issues it or you don't get to host these types of events.
    Maybe that would work, and I certainly support the sentiment behind it, but I worry that if countries get 'cut off' like this they will only fall further behind and social change will become less possible. Non-discrimination is written into the Olympic charter and I really hope that a little bit of that message infects the attitudes of Russia and gives courage to those who must sorely need to know they are not alone.

Al.

Thank Post
    I think maybe for me it is way too soon after the tragic death of a lesbian friend who died tragically at Christmas over there way too soon and just before she was due to embark on a life of freedom. It could all have been so different had the laws been different....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyMoon View Post
    I think maybe for me it is way too soon after the tragic death of a lesbian friend who died tragically at Christmas over there way too soon and just before she was due to embark on a life of freedom. It could all have been so different had the laws been different....
    Gosh that is terrible to hear. I'm sorry for you and anyone else affected. Let's hope things improve so other lives can get better. My condolences.

Al.

16. 2 Thanks to VeryPC:

Bradlys (8th February 2014), ButterflyMoon (8th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would worry about that too.

I am ever hopeful though and I really do hope that at least some level of change comes from this!

Thank Post
    Have just made a complaint to the BBC about the awful commentary this morning in the snowboard. They were squealing and acting like children.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have just made a complaint to the BBC about the awful commentary this morning in the snowboard. They were squealing and acting like children.
    The only bits I have heard are when they cut into a program I am listening to, and yes it's been dreadful. There is one particular women who just seems to shriek over everyone else. Very irritating.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast