+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Winter Olympics 2014. in General; Originally Posted by hawc I am going to be glad when Sunday is here - the awfulness will be over! ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hawc View Post
    I am going to be glad when Sunday is here - the awfulness will be over!
    I disagree I've enjoyed every moment of the Olympics and hats off to all the athletes who have participated. I just wished that I had the guts to do something like that when I was that age.

2. 2 Thanks to Jobos:

elsiegee40 (22nd February 2014), witch (22nd February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,662 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    I disagree I've enjoyed every moment of the Olympics and hats off to all the athletes who have participated. I just wished that I had the guts to do something like that when I was that age.
    Me too. I have thoroughly enjoyed the competitions

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,716 Posts
    And me. Just watching the 4 man bobsleigh. Epic crash by Canada 3, thankfully they were all OK

Thank Post
    While watching the curling the wife said have you noticed that all of the British team are Scottish so after looking it up I can see why. In Scotland there are 22 rinks for curling but in England there are only 2 now that really is a disgrace.

Thank Post
    While watching the curling the wife said have you noticed that all of the British team are Scottish so after looking it up I can see why. In Scotland there are 22 rinks for curling but in England there are only 2 now that really is a disgrace.
    I'm not quite sure why it is a disgrace - curling isn't a traditional sport in England - the English do bowling instead and there are many many bowling greens and indoor play areas.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,942 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The sport is originally from Scotland, so I'd fully expect it to have more venues there.

More sarcastically, I've always put down success in Curling to who can shout the best - and you've gotta admit that the Scots are good at shouting.
    Last edited by localzuk; 23rd February 2014 at 07:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,662 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The sport is originally from Scotland, so I'd fully expect it to have more venues there.

More sarcastically, I've always put down success in Curling to who can shout the best - and you've gotta admit that the Scotts are good at shouting.
    It was traditionally an outdoor sport too from the days when outdoor ice was readily and consistently available to those living furthest North.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I'm not quite sure why it is a disgrace - curling isn't a traditional sport in England - the English do bowling instead and there are many many bowling greens and indoor play areas.
    Perhaps disgrace was the wrong choice of word but you get my meaning. It's been 12 years since I went ice skating but then there wasn't any local rinks and I recall traveling a good way to find one. Nottingham seems the closest rink to Leicester so I'm looking at a 60 mile round trip. Want to take my 5 year old and show her what not to do!. My apologies if I appear to be moaning but I've had the week off and it's Sunday evening now and school is looming

Thank Post
    I was surprised when I googled ice rinks and saw that there are quite a few left around the country, unfortunately none down this way. We just get the "pop-up" rinks at Christmas

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,942 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Growing up on the IOM, I've always seen ice skating as a foreign thing. No rinks there! So I'm surprised that there are any ice rinks in the UK.

Thank Post
    Useless Sweden

As a Londoner we have a few rinks but they can't half be a bugger to get to.

Thank Post
    Quite a lot of winter sports stuff in the west mids - Ice skaing rinks and a snowdome where you can ski/snowboard

Thank Post
    I have been ice skating for about 6 weeks now...there is a rink in MK (MKICE) which is kind of temporary while they rebuild the old one. I am really enjoying it well until I fall over but 6 weeks in and I still suck its one of those you have to really work at I think...but it is already improving my fitness. There are also about 4 recreational ice hockey teams in MK including a ladies team which is pretty awesome. Since the Olympics the rink has been packed on the public skate nights, maybe we will see some more rinks popping up over the UK as I hear UK Sport are going to inject some cash into winter sports.....great Olympics loved every minute of it

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 609 Posts
    We're dead lucky in Sheffield because the city is home to some fantastic venues like the English Institute of Sport, Ponds Forge International swimming pool and Ice Sheffield which have professional level facilities and play host to both national and world championships in various sports, including ice based events. All these venues are run by a body called Sheffield International Venues that used to be part of the council and the public can use the facilities at very reasonable rates (think local leisure centre prices). It's great being able to run on an International class track or play badminton on a court that has been on the telly. I might have to try out a bit of skating myself, but I think I'll let the "ice-fever" die down first and go in a few weeks time. I found out that Sheffield hosted the World Short Track Speed Skating Championships in 2011 - definitely gonna go watch that if it comes back soon.

Back to the Winter Games. Which have been your top events to watch over the past fortnight? Here's my top 5:

1. Ski/board cross - just so exciting!
    2. Short track speed skating - basically I love the side by side racing
    3. Curling - tactics, pressure, skill. Nailbiting.
    4. Slopestyle/halfpipe - awesome tricks.
    5. Sliding events (skeleton, bob etc..) - the way the result develops over 4 runs is really gripping

Which were your faves?

Al
    Last edited by VeryPC; 24th February 2014 at 11:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Sheffield used to have a dry ski slope as well!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast