+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Winter Olympics 2014. in General; The curling is starting to get interesting. Looks like the GB men's team is fairly comfortable, but the GB women's ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,060 Times in 606 Posts
    The curling is starting to get interesting. Looks like the GB men's team is fairly comfortable, but the GB women's team needs to get a few more wins on the board to be safe - nervous times for them (and us).

Looking forward to the weekend so I can actually watch the sport live and in full rather than trying to cram 9 hours of viewing into one evening by skipping over all the inbetweeny bits like run replays, athlete preparation, race set up, commentary fill and shot selection. I'm glad that I can do this so that I do get to see all the crucial action (with the curling, I watch a shot slide into place, skip 30 seconds and the next one is just sliding in, skip, watch, skip...) ; overall the sports I like I save about 2 minutes out of every 3, but it's still not enough time, so some sports (like Ice Hockey and Ice Dance) necessarily have to fall by the wayside and get cut altogether I'm afraid.

Saturday, Sunday: curl up on the sofa with a mug of tea and let the whole thing unfold in real time in front of me. The analysis, interviews, tactical discussions in the curling, anticipating a great upcoming event - so much more satisfying. I can't wait for tomorrow morning!

Al

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The half pipe events seem to be a bit of a disaster - lots of complaints about poor snow conditions, world champions falling left right and centre!
    Definatley the pipe was far below acceptable.

I really felt for Iouri Podladtchikov and Ayumu Hirano though, I keep hearing talks about how the conditions are the reason behind the 'shock results' in the mens halfpipe where Shaun White failed to place, admitedly mostly from american sources. Conditions were obviously poor but it was a level playing field and both these two are in my opinion just as good as White and have regularly shared the podium or beaten him in other competitions. In my opinion iPod has a superior bank of tricks so It frustrates me that all these people work for years at this and then there deserving victory is pegged down to luck that White was affected by conditions which all of them had to overcome.

Rant over

Thank Post
    I'm waiting to get to watch the Bob sled, there's been a lot of posturing from Steve Holcomb and the USA team on twitter over the last 24 hours. Going to need to see them put their money where their twitter messages are!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nyiss View Post
    Definatley the pipe was far below acceptable.

I really felt for Iouri Podladtchikov and Ayumu Hirano though, I keep hearing talks about how the conditions are the reason behind the 'shock results' in the mens halfpipe where Shaun White failed to place, admitedly mostly from american sources. Conditions were obviously poor but it was a level playing field and both these two are in my opinion just as good as White and have regularly shared the podium or beaten him in other competitions. In my opinion iPod has a superior bank of tricks so It frustrates me that all these people work for years at this and then there deserving victory is pegged down to luck that White was affected by conditions which all of them had to overcome.

Rant over
    Iouri's gold medal run was flipping excellent and well deserving of the win. Shaun White can't be the best in the world forever, and who wants a single athlete to dominate a sport so fully that the winning result is always a foregone conclusion anyway. Well done to all the medallists.

Al

5. Thanks to VeryPC from:

nyiss (14th February 2014)

Thank Post
    I'm treating myself to an afternoon off today so I can go home and watch the final of the men's curling live, uninterrupted and with no fast forwarding!

It'll be a tough one for Team GB who are up against the excellent Canada, but here's hoping we can bag our 2nd gold medal of the games.

It starts at 13h30 for those of you able to take the time to catch it.

Go Team GB!

Al
    Last edited by VeryPC; 21st February 2014 at 12:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would be nice, I thought the women were going to go through at one point and it ended horribly lol still bronze is good!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,716 Posts
    I've been watching all of it - given that I am still stuck on the sofa - and I have to say that the snowboard and ski cross have definitely been the most exciting!
    The ice dancing was good but the figure skating was dull. I am amazed that there don't seem to be any new moves - very tired of triple lutz, triple salco, triple toe loop etc etc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I've been watching all of it - given that I am still stuck on the sofa - and I have to say that the snowboard and ski cross have definitely been the most exciting!
    The ice dancing was good but the figure skating was dull. I am amazed that there don't seem to be any new moves - very tired of triple lutz, triple salco, triple toe loop etc etc
    I agree that the figure skating was not very interesting, however, the twizzles are a relatively new move, as are the quad variants of the toe loop and salco and under the new gradings the athletes get credit for attempting the more adventurous moves, however there has been very little evidence of it outside the pairs, people still seem unwilling to commit to quads incase they don't come off!

Thank Post
    Halfway through the mens curling final and we are not doing very well at all

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 1,129 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    Halfway through the mens curling final and we are not doing very well at all
    Its painful...

Thank Post
    Still on track for a silver, that's pretty good.

Thank Post
    Poor Eve Muirhead. "Come here love and say something". It's terrible how they back the athlete's who appear very uncomfortable in front of the camera into doing that.

Notice how its on BBC1 now?

Thank Post
    We're going to concede after this end, calling it now. 8-3 in the 8th end is too much to come back from.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,716 Posts
    @Oaktech
    Twizzles are in ice dancing, not figure skating. I know the figure skaters get marks for attempting things = that seems to lead to many more falls than I remember

Thank Post
    I am going to be glad when Sunday is here - the awfulness will be over!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast