+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Winter Olympics 2014. in General; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I can't see how the ski jump is any worse than the other ski stuff women do - they do jumps in slopestyle and the moguls must be absolute hell on the knees and hips.
    The issue about lack of interest is just nonsense
    Well, the stats, seem to say different about it being worse than other disciplines...

Within twelve months, eight female top athletes suffered serious knee (and in one case: vertebra) injuries and thus had to withdraw for long recovery periods, putting their good chances at the Olympics in Sochi at risk. On 12 January 2013, Daniela Iraschko, the 2011 World Champion, fell in Hinterzarten and withdrew,[14] Anja Tepeš suffered a serious injury on 17 March in Oslo,[15] 2013 Cup de France winner Espiau suffered a knee injury in June[16] and on 12 August 2013 Alexandra Pretorius, two-times women's Grand Prix winner, suffered a serious knee injury in Courchevel.[17] On 21 August 2013, Sarah Hendrickson, the 2013 World Champion, suffered a knee ligament damage in Oberstdorf.[18] On 20 December 2013, Jacqueline Seifriedsberger fell during the training jumps for the World Cup event in Hinterzarten,[19] and on 3 January 2014 Svenja Würth fell during the training jumps in Chaikovsky.[20] On 11 January 2014, Ema Klinec, ranking first after the first jump, fell in Predazzo.[21] Female ski jumpers need a longer approach than their male colleagues to make up for their light weight and to reach the necessary speed. Due to their light weight, however, female jumpers reach distances which are not below those of male jumpers. In media reports, it is argued that this might physiologically overburden the knee of female jumpers.[citation needed]
    However, I'm all for equality in the ability to choose to wreck one's body.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC View Post
    Hey everyone.

Who's watching the winter Olympics? What are you looking forward to and what awesomeness have you seen so far?
    I'm idly watching it in the gym, just because it's on the tv by the bench and the crosstrainer.

I'm almost exclusively watching and looking forward to the fitties who might be competing:

[/perv]

I mean GO TEAM GB or smthg.

Thank Post

LOUI <3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 668 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscbrah View Post
    I'm almost exclusively watching and looking forward to the fitties who might be competing:

Let's stay focussed on the sport and other discussion worthy stuff shall we?

Al
    Last edited by VeryPC; 12th February 2014 at 12:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC View Post
    <SNIP>
    Reminds me so much of the Keirin in velodrome cycling, which I also love.

Also saw some early rounds of the curling - such a compelling game. I'll be following that right through to the finals for sure.

Al
    Is that the one where they all chase after a postman on a moped? When I saw that during London2012, I thought it was so sweet, I had to watch it again.

Curling's great. Strategy, precision, focus, calm.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Is that the one where they all chase after a postman on a moped? When I saw that during London2012, I thought it was so sweet, I had to watch it again.

Curling's great. Strategy, precision, focus, calm.
    And yet bowls, which is almost exactly the same sport but with rolling instead of sliding, is somehow as dull as dishwater!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 668 Posts
    Is that the one where they all chase after a postman on a moped?
    Yep that's the one. Slowly build speed and wait for the Derny bike to pull off the track, then explode in to a spoked maelstrom of finish line hunting fury. Cue glory, elation, crashes and injuries - much much like the short track speed skating in fact.

Al

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    And yet bowls, which is almost exactly the same sport but with rolling instead of sliding, is somehow as dull as dishwater!
    Only because there aren't as many babes playing bowls. Otherwise, I find it just as absorbing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,795 Posts
    @Oaktech - where are the stats for injuries to male ski jumpers?
    Listening to the commentary for the snowboarding - both males and females seem to have lots of injuries in that sport but they haven't stopped women competing
    I don't think decisions like this should be taken by the IOC - in the past women weren't allowed to compete in lots of sports because they weren't considered strong enough - and yet that has been shown to be false. I'm sure that women would prefer to do these things than not - it is up to them as to whether they want to risk injury or not.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Reminds me of this looking at the medal count.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscbrah View Post

Only because there aren't as many babes playing bowls. Otherwise, I find it just as absorbing.
    If you want to make comments like this please start your own thread. Tired of sensible and interesting threads being diverted into male posturing and sexist rubbish.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,613 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm of the opinion that Curling is won by the team who shouts the most.

It really is a fascinating sport.

Thank Post
    Firstly, just to make sure we aren't talking at cross purposes, I'm not agreeing with them in. As I said before, I totally support anyone's ability to make their own decisions.

The stats for injuries in the top flight of the mens tour are much lower, but as far as I can tell this is only because the mens sport has a bigger pool of talent to choose from.

My personal opinion, is that the quality of the competitors are currently so variable, some ladies are there because they have the guts to do it, rather than because they are particularly good. I have great respect for them, I wouldn't do it, but those are some of the accident stats. Better competitors will come up through the ranks and they will be more highly skilled, better trained and less prone to accidents. It's a sport that will only get better and better if it is allowed to.

Thank Post
    Yeah, I know - it isn't a dig at you, it's just difficult for women who have had legions of men deciding over the years what is "best" for them. I don't remember any other male sports being a concern because of injury rates.
    I agree with your "pool of talent" comment and I hope the powers that be can see that woman's ski-jumping can only improve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    If you want to make comments like this please start your own thread. Tired of sensible and interesting threads being diverted into male posturing and sexist rubbish.
    *looks at shoes*

Sorry witch & VeryPC.

16. Thanks to Miscbrah from:

VeryPC (12th February 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast