+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Winter Olympics 2014. in General; Luge and skeleton are my faves. I suppose because its like the grown up version of sledging which I loved ...
    Thank Post
    Luge and skeleton are my faves.
    I suppose because its like the grown up version of sledging which I loved as a child, and still do. Anyone remember John Noaks going down the cresta run for Blue Peter?

When is it going to snow this year so I can get 'lighning' out of the garage and drag my girls down to the park?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I thought it funny when they tried to surprise the snowboarder by spring her parents on her but she'd guessed.
    That was really sweet wasn't it? Had me reaching for the hankies I have to admit.

Al

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Great stuff. Seriously unbearable irritants, the lot of them.

Thank Post
    Ok, I agree with some of the comments being out of place, such as the 'face that makes bread rise', but aside from that I thought having someone in the booth who knew about riding was a fresh position. So often you get people who don't know the basics commentating and it makes it very stale and clinical.

It was great to have enthusiasm put into the commentary, but it needed to be reigned in in places.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Figure skating and ice dancing - brilliant!
    I thought that Yulia Lipnitskaya the 15yo Russian girl was just spellbinding. I've also enjoyed most of what's been on so far (including Amiee Fuller's enthusiasm for her team mate). Watched the women's curling this morning.

Thank Post
    Wow you guys all have gigantic sticks up your posteriors about this snowboarding commentary. I thought it was the best commentary we've had out of any of the events - the commentators obviously were extremely knowledgable about the sport AND incredibly enthusiastic about it, something which I think has been missing from a lot of the commentary on the other events. Did you seriously put a complaint into the BBC because somebody showed that they were an actual person whilst talking about a sporting event?

Out of interest, how many of you wrote letters about the appalling violations of human rights going on in russia?

Thank Post
    Yeah, there's being knowledgeable and enthusiastic then there's blatant bias swirled in with incredibly pathetic comments made.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crt404 View Post
    as the 'face that makes bread rise'
    I can't even work out if that's a compliment or an insult, let alone what it means. Stupid BBC commentators, making me feel old and out of touch!

Thank Post
    Personally I found the BBC commentary very good. It reflected the whole spirit of the event and the enthusiasm shown by Amiee Fuller in support of her team mate was very infectious and captured how so many of us felt when watching it.

For far too long we have suffered that stiff upper lip jolly well done half hearted support from our national broadcaster and this made a welcome and refreshing change. Far from making me feel old (I'm 55) and out of touch, I found the enthusiasm very refreshing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickjames View Post
    Yeah, there's being knowledgeable and enthusiastic then there's blatant bias swirled in with incredibly pathetic comments made.
    Is it really so bad that British commentators commentating an event where Britain is likely to win a medal are biased towards Britain when they are doing that commentary on the British Broadcasting Corporation? I bet you 50p it's much the same in any other country, and even more biased in places like the USA.

Thank Post
    I've watched a lot of this sort of sports, downhil mountainbiking, freestyle skiing, slopestyle and X games, Redbull promoted sports etc, and this is just how it's done. I saw nothing wrong with it as commentary for what it was, it is obviously less, how shall we say, 'Classy' than that for ice dance, but its a different audience most of the time.

It might have been an idea for the producers to get everyone on the commentary team to watch some previous commentary for say, superG and tell them 'Thats the level we expect'.

I'm really in it for the sliding... I've always watched all of the Bobsleigh, Skeleton and Luge, and I watch the preceeding world champs on eurosport before hand as well.

Thank Post
    The men's moguls finals last night were seriously good, the Canadian that won it was incredible!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryMonkey View Post

For far too long we have suffered that stiff upper lip jolly well done half hearted support from our national broadcaster and this made a welcome and refreshing change.
    Did you not see the Olympics then? This belief that we still go "oh well done old chap" was blown out of the water then, I thought. We had cheering and jumping on chairs and all sorts - which was great. What we DIDN'T have was excessive squealing, screaming and gratuitous insults to fellow competitors.
    I am currently watching the final of the women's ski slopestyle and the commentary is superb - enthusiastic, informative and understandable. Just how it should be done

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast