+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Winter Olympics 2014. in General; One of them sounds like she is in labour!...
    Thank Post
    One of them sounds like she is in labour!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,825 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawc View Post
    Have just made a complaint to the BBC about the awful commentary this morning in the snowboard. They were squealing and acting like children.
    I am going to complain as well. I know it is a sport for the young and hip but the commentary on the male race was at least informative and interesting - if a little shouty at times!

Thank Post
    I've been watching, I quite like the commentary as it is, mind you coming from a mountain biking background where the commentary is just like it, it makes no odds to me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 690 Posts
    There were a few embarrassing bits in the commentary, like the clapping and especially the singing *cringe*, but overall I was quite charmed by the childish enthusiasm of it and found myself cheering and laughing along with them all. Plus Aimee Fuller was just an athlete who had been eliminated in the semi finals and dragged into the commentary box to join in, so she wasn't expected to be impartial or professional. She was basically just talking about and cheering on all her mates in the final. I really liked it, but I can see why some would hate it too.

Regardless of that, Team GB's first (official) medal on the snow ever! Congratulations to Jenny Jones on her bronze medal at her only chance to do so, considering it is snowboard slope style's inaugural Olympics and she'll probably be retired from competition in 4 years.

Also really enjoyed the downhill skiing, speed skating, biathlon, ski jump and luge over the weekend. Did I miss anything out?

Al

5. 2 Thanks to VeryPC:

crt404 (10th February 2014), mattlynch (10th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,825 Posts
    Figure skating and ice dancing - brilliant!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Figure skating and ice dancing - brilliant!
    I saw only a little bit of that. I quite enjoy it but with so many sports to watch I had to sacrifice something, so along with ice hockey those bits were mostly skipped over. I'll try and catch some later in the week. Do we have any decent GB hopefuls in the arena?

Al

Thank Post
    I thought it funny when they tried to surprise the snowboarder by spring her parents on her but she'd guessed.

Thank Post
    I watched that snowboarding earlier too, that commentary was absolutely awful with the woman who just screamed and hollered when the british girl was on, to the point where I turned it over as I couldnt tolerate it after a few minutes of it.

Thank Post
    All of the coverage has been a bit - meh - IMHO

Constantly flipping between pre-recorded events on BBC2 with the very occasional live event. It's almost like the Beeb is just going through the motions of putting it on the telly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    All of the coverage has been a bit - meh - IMHO

Constantly flipping between pre-recorded events on BBC2 with the very occasional live event. It's almost like the Beeb is just going through the motions of putting it on the telly.
    I agree it's a far cry from the 2012 Olympics which bombarded you with channels solely for the Olympic coverage. Shame really as I prefer the winter sport the the summer games

Thank Post
    Well I realise it's not going to be close to London 2012, but when they show the ladies speed skating and then don't bother to show the final couple of competitors! I know they didn't stand a chance, but it would be nice to watch everyone after investing that time in it.

If they cock up up the ice hokey I won't be happy!

The commentating for the snowboarding was ridiculous. Yes, it's a young sport - but you don't need someone screaming during the event it's just off-putting.

Thank Post
    It really kicks off on Wednesday when the mens hockey starts; alllllllll the big boys have come out to play.

14. Thanks to rickjames from:

bushby (10th February 2014)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I did wonder about the gay rights issue - and indeed the "gangster" issues which are just as worrying, but I have read several articles that state that it is better to expose these things to the world - after the Beijing Olympics China advanced down the road to democracy a bit faster (yes, yes I KNOW they still aren't there yet and there are many issues around human rights yet to be sorted). As for the killing of dogs in Russia - in China dogs are kept in desperate circumstances and then eaten....
    Those who are not watching because of the gay rights issue - did you watch the Beijing Olympics?
    Every venue has issues. There are all sorts of practices in Brazil that I am sure we could cite as being reason to boycott.

For Russia to have to state its case and defend itself puts it out there and it is possible that these things being exposed to the world's gaze will get them to change more quickly.
    This. All of this. Before the Winter Olympic "scandal" I wasn't even aware of the gay rights situation in Russia, it is serving a positive purpose out there in bringing the issue to the fore. To boycott and blame the Olympics instead of the politicians in charge will do nothing but hurt both the sports and the athletes involved. Remember the Olympics are not just a platform for sport, remember the podium protests as a symbol of racial equality? Now skip forwards to today where a Russian politician said no politics on the podium and and IOC official giving him a ticking off over it.

As for bad commentary, can't say I have noticed but then again I am used to the commentary on Sky Speedway...

Thank Post
    well ice hockey is on each day till the end so im happy

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Watched the snowboarding over the weekend, some of the tricks on the mens were insane - that 1620 triple on the very last run was incredible. Delighted for Jenny Jones on Sunday morning as well, she had a great run - maybe not the biggest, but clean, smooth and effortless looking.

The judging seemed very harsh throughout, and I would have preferred a bit less emphasis on getting it robotically perfect in favour of rewarding style and guts, but it is what it is. One thing I couldn't work out was why the men's tricks were so much bigger - they were regularly pulling 1440s when women seemed to top out at 720, and without the flips. Slopestyle favours smaller, flexible riders, so I wouldn't have thought that any strength difference between the genders would make that big a difference. Anyone got any ideas?

The commentary was enthusiastic, childish and more than a little embarassing. Such is snowboarding culture, I fear - the technical delegate from the FIS used the word "stoked" in a statement the other day. A little bit unprofessional maybe

Winter Olympics in the morning, Six Nations in the afternoons... I almost felt like a normal man this weekend, what with all this sport.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast