+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, British Computer Society in General; I've just been looking into this organisation, after some people advised me to have a look, and I can't decide ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

British Computer Society

I've just been looking into this organisation, after some people advised me to have a look, and I can't decide what they actually are. They do seem to make the assumtion that everyone in IT is a graduate, or is qualified to the eyeballs and would not mind parting with £50 per year, but they seem quite reluctanat to say on the site what they are all about (http://www.bcs.org/bcs/aboutbcs/) and the about page is a bit vauge, not like the part where they want your money. Is anyone here a member, and if so, what do you get out of it?

Thank Post

Re: British Computer Society

Never known a member who was any good at IT

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

thankyou

Russ (bcs member)

p.s

i will post about bcs in bit

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    thankyou

Russ (bcs member)

p.s

i will post about bcs in bit
    Yeah - cheers - another BCS member.

I joined because I believe that IT people will rarely get respect within an organisation until IT is viewed as a "profession" like accountants, doctors, engineers and *hah* teachers.

To be an engineer requires passing exams in several subjects, and demands a minimum competance to perform the job. I think IT is like engineering was in the mid 19th century - anybody can call themselves an IT professional/consultant yada yada yada, and if they can blag a job - they get to have a go, some will be OK, but a lot won't (and lets face it - we've all met them and cleaned up the messes they've left). Engineering became a profession after a lot of large project failures (bridges collapsing, building failing etc etc) and a mandatory minimum knowledge became required because people died as a result of those who did not know how to do the jobs they were in.

I think that closely parallels the situation today in IT - many large projects fail, and I would guess that billions of pounds are wasted every year on IT work that is so badly done that it never bears the fruit that was promised of it. A system failure in the new NHS system , or traffic or airflight management may well cost lives in event of a failure....so...I support the BCS which (amongst other things) pushes for a professionalisation of IT and offers a gradiated membership scheme dependant on qualifications, experience and exams. Cmon, lets get rid of the cowboys.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

this is my views....

the personnel benefits are local meetings (which havnt had chance to attend much), the software testing sub group they have large free library.

I always say this to people we moan we don't get treated like professionals so being part of bcs means you are in professional org you need to be long to a professional org accountants do, teachers do, engineers do to be taken seriously. I belong to bcs for same reason as ii belong to alt and naace.

I do like the cpd system were you track you cpd (ok needs work on usability but in essence is good system)

The newsletter via post and bi-weekly email letter always provide useful info.

The internet speaclist group were on about providing fully paid trips to www conference in Scotland as were on about having skills stand there...

Russell

Thank Post

Yep... Another member over here. Been with the BCS for about 4 years now.

And largesly agree with Russ.

Thank Post

haha, thought I'd probably drop myself in it.

no offense intended ofc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

lol we only pulling you leg over that

but people should thinking about but like most these things you get what you put into it so going along to local meetings taking active part always helps...

now i think education part has long way to go to helping support staff and I hope to meet up with bcs staff at bett if they are there to discuss this as the education user group at bcs work is to teacher centric focused and that BCS need to work with support staff more.

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

I am a member of the BCS as well, it has some good benifits like Russ and co have listed, the software is a good one as well for legal copies, perfect for if I left my current job, I can purchase the licences I require to stay legal etc.... I am just applying for a membership upgrade to the Associate level as I am still an affiliate as I forgot to upgrade at renewal, so then I can also get some letters after my name

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

what do enourge you to do bcs member or not if going to bett on bcs store there should be someone on duty for education either schools working party or education and training group talk to them and say that want bcs to look into how they can help ict support staff the school/education side is too teacher centric and that they also need to focus on us more that we push them the better.

Russell

Thank Post

Yep I am a member too. I joined because my degree was BCS acredited and I felt that the IT industry lacked any sort of recognition of professionalism and the BCS is trying to improve that.

Pete

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

also on that note i was speaking with chairperson of on of workgroups who role is to provide support to bcs members in education so how would you like to see bcs help you...

russ

Thank Post

Another member here! Probably went to same Uni as you pshuttle!

I was going to write and say that you have full and free access to the IEE's library in London (you can request books to be sent) which is really good. But this morning I had an email saying I couldn't renew my books because BCS weren't paying for it anymore

Andy MBCS (for now)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

no but they have just annouced load more deals if login to members area and look under benafits it has access to article from load of journals and plus lots more also try out the software testing library

russ

Thank Post

To those who are already members: What grade are you?

I've just looked at the website, and I think I qualify for Associate Member grade.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast