+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Makes me sick!!! in General; ...

Thank Post

Makes me sick!!!

I just read this story about an old lady in Australia who lay dead in her house for 8 years and no one noticed!! Authorities think she died in 2003.
    Her husband had died long ago. She had relatives but none of them had time to visit her. Her house was worth over £500,000, she had no will and now all her relatives are laying claim to her estate.
    I find it sickening that while she was alive no one could be bothered to visit but now they all want her money.
    My mum is around the same age and had a brain tumour. I couldn't imagine not having time to visit her.

http://news.sky.com/story/1207737/wo...or-eight-years

2. Thanks to fiza from:

ButterflyMoon (7th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Being that the only family I have in the UK outside my immediate family are in scotland, I dont get to see them often, I do however keep in touch with an email, facebook or a phone call every so often.

I also make the time to visit old people in homes, as they're often quite lonely, I only go once a month due to other commitments, but I like to take the time to ensure they have a friendly face to see. I bring my daughter along as well and she loves it as they tell some awesome stories (be it from the wars, or from when they were younger) and she sits there mesmerised!

4. 4 Thanks to featured_spectre:

andyturpie (7th February 2014), ButterflyMoon (7th February 2014), fiza (7th February 2014), Novalee (7th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    tragic, but does sound like someone without any immediate familly (children, husband). Human nature I suppose. If one of my Aunts died would I know about it? Only if on eof my cousins posted it on Facebook.

Thank Post
    Well someone was a bit wrong here

"A small plaque where her ashes are laid says simply ''Natalie Jean Wood … Loved and remembered.''

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,825 Posts
    TBF she may well have pushed everyone away or been one of those people who is just happy on their own. I understand why it doesn't look good that the relatives are pushing for the money but I don't see why the state should get it and some of those relatives are probably innocent in all this and maybe didn't know she existed?

Thank Post
    from the story it sounded like at least the sister-in law lived in the same placed as she last saw her from a bus. I know the sister in law isn't a blood relative but that isn't stopping her making a claim on the estate.
    The relatives making a claim on the estate but only 2 people turned up to her funeral and one of those was a cop.

Thank Post
    It is tragic and last year there was a case in Edinburgh near the city centre, an elderly lady was found to have been found dead for more than a year and IIRC it might have been something like a non payment of a bill which triggered officials to arrive at the door. Unfortunately, we do not live in the late 70s or mid 80s when there was social cohesion, families have been thrown further apart over the last few decades in the search for work etc. Like Nephilim all my family are up in Scotland and with work commitments and the actual cost of the travel, I never see my side of the family as much as I would like to...

10. Thanks to andyturpie from:

featured_spectre (7th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Ah @fiza's information makes it much worse - although she still could have been a miserable old mare who wouldnt countenance visitors!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    TBF she may well have pushed everyone away or been one of those people who is just happy on their own. I understand why it doesn't look good that the relatives are pushing for the money but I don't see why the state should get it and some of those relatives are probably innocent in all this and maybe didn't know she existed?
    I would have hoped more than 1 person turned up at her funeral.
    I know what you mean about the state getting the money.
    It just makes me sad. I think its because my mum is the same age.

Thank Post
    Whatever the circumstance in her family it is still a very sad way to end your life. I agree with Witch in that why should a government snaffle someone's estate after their death! They are parasites every bit as much as absent family raking over a person's wealth. No one will ever know the reason's why this woman was estranged from her family but a sad lonely end is not a nice one.

14. Thanks to ButterflyMoon from:

fiza (7th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    I just read this story about an old lady in Australia who lay dead in her house for 8 years and no one noticed!! Authorities think she died in 2003.
    Her husband had died long ago. She had relatives but none of them had time to visit her. Her house was worth over £500,000, she had no will and now all her relatives are laying claim to her estate.
    I find it sickening that while she was alive no one could be bothered to visit but now they all want her money.
    My mum is around the same age and had a brain tumour. I couldn't imagine not having time to visit her.

'Woman Sydney Forgot' Lay Dead For Eight Years
    Sounds almost like my family, my nan who although could talk for England and very two faced I loved her say how it is approach. Spent a lot of time with her and I was one of few members of the family who made any effort to see her.

When she fell ill and doctors said she didn't have long that's when magic happened and everyone started to make an effort because there was a lot of money left behind some where. It was the only thing they all cared about, one of them even told me to make sure I got my paws on my money!!!........

Yeah people are naturally sick.

Thank Post
    Basically if I turn up at my mums and she looks at my little boy and says "hasn't he grown" I know I've I left it too long to see her, Which with a 4 yr old can be about 2 weeks. If she's out when we call round (usually at the bingo) I atleast make the effort to call her.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyPete View Post
    Basically if I turn up at my mums and she looks at my little boy and says "hasn't he grown" I know I've I left it too long to see her, Which with a 4 yr old can be about 2 weeks. If she's out when we call round (usually at the bingo) I atleast make the effort to call her.
    Not only that, with a new born it can even be just a week (I know its extreme but its true). I've seen my nephew I think 6 times in the 5 months he has been alive (due to extenuating circumstances outside of my families control), and he looks different every time (though you can tell its him).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andyturpie View Post
    . Unfortunately, we do not live in the late 70s or mid 80s
    It really wasn't different then - maybe in the 50's? I didn't really know my neighbours as a child in the 60's and when I was in my teens, in the 70's, I went off to college, as did my sister, and and we never went home again, which was the same for most of my friends - thus fragmenting families. In my first house in the mid 80's everyone was as busy as they are now and I didnt know anyone really in the local area other than one neighbour.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Not only that, with a new born it can even be just a week (I know its extreme but its true). I've seen my nephew I think 6 times in the 5 months he has been alive (due to extenuating circumstances outside of my families control), and he looks different every time (though you can tell its him).
    i hate the fact i only see my nephews a few times a year (aged 1 and 3) but when they are 5 hours away even what i did for their birthdays drove down saturday early morning drive back sunday afternoon is tiring its hard to see them enough

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast