+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 197
General Chat Thread, The Big Benefits Row in General; Just turned the TV off, before I go down to channel 5 and knock Katie Hopkins'es lights out. I think ...
  1. #1
    hawc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in one of the Shires.....
    Posts
    783
    Thank Post
    73
    Thanked 80 Times in 61 Posts
    Rep Power
    37

    The Big Benefits Row

    Just turned the TV off, before I go down to channel 5 and knock Katie Hopkins'es lights out.
    I think that benefits are there for a reason. All they need is tighter control, however I have heard a lot about ATOS and think they need calming down.

  2. Thanks to hawc from:

    newpersn (3rd February 2014)

  3. #2
    newpersn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    1,322
    Thank Post
    304
    Thanked 120 Times in 88 Posts
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by hawc View Post
    Just turned the TV off, before I go down to channel 5 and knock Katie Hopkins'es lights out.
    I think that benefits are there for a reason. All they need is tighter control, however I have heard a lot about ATOS and think they need calming down.
    Can me and mrs come?

  4. #3
    rich_tech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    1,113
    Thank Post
    133
    Thanked 142 Times in 123 Posts
    Rep Power
    66
    I cant understand why she gets given the light of day, especially since she is trying to be a British "Anne Coulter" these days and saying stuff just puerly for the controversy and airtime.

    That being said I thought that "debate" was pretty farcical overall, it started off ok but soon got fairly abusive with the way that Matthew Wright failed to control the debate reasonably I felt, when people started shouting over one another it descended into a bit of a joke I felt.

    Stuff like this does not help the debate in any way I thought overall.
    Last edited by rich_tech; 4th February 2014 at 08:24 AM.

  5. #4

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,964
    Thank Post
    397
    Thanked 390 Times in 276 Posts
    Rep Power
    234
    We need benefits in the UK but there is a lot I disagree with. I believe if your sick but able to work for short periods of time then you should, not just sit there smoke and drink while the state pays for it. The problem with a lot of people on benefits (not all) is their priority's seem to all be wrong in how they spend their money. My girlfriends parents are on benefits "because they are sick" but they spend around £70 a week on tobacco, spend it on loads of alcohol, they have a huge 60" TV with surround sound in their living room, 6 Cats to feed, 1 Dog, 3 Kids and all they do is sit there everyday put the TV on and not move a muscle the house is such a mess. I'm amazed how they can live in it, holes in the doors Cr*p lying all over the floor, hardly ever have enough food to feed their kids properly. Dirty cups and plates lying their for months, so how is it my house is clean but for 9 hours a day I also go to work. It's a prime example the ginger woman and the strange man who lived together with their child on benefits street, there he was walking down to the food bank but he had enough money to buy a designer T-Shirt, Designer Jeans, A new Bike..... It's all about priorities. Instead of the government giving these waste of space people just cash they should give them vouchers to spend so £70 week at supermarkets, £10 week home improvement. Therefore none of the money can be wasted on drugs and alcohol!

  6. Thanks to abillybob from:

    knightrider (4th February 2014)

  7. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    I agree with you. What really annoys me was when me and my girlfriend lived together we weren't getting by due to her not finding a job even though she was looking everywhere for one and we had the basics of living to get by, when we asked for any benefits the government says no I should pay for everything even though we couldn't afford anything but if I went on the jobseekers then they would pay out happily. Why people get punished for working hard I will never know, but that is why we need tighter control on the system.

  8. #6

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,964
    Thank Post
    397
    Thanked 390 Times in 276 Posts
    Rep Power
    234
    My mum's friend who has worked all her life has become very sick she has MS, it's a neurological condition which is causing her other issues also. Sometimes she can't even wash herself and she used to be such an independent happy woman. She asked for disability allowance and was told she had to wait 6 months before they'd even consider her case as she was working before. Then 6 months passed she went back up but because the doctors have said it is MS but they can't be 100% sure so they aren't officially diagnosing the problem thus resulting in her not being able to claim. It has been 2 years now she has a daughter, mortgage, son and a husband. The husband works but only earns around 17k a year and that's all that is the income. That's what Pi$$e$ me off is that you have people like that white dee sitting there doing nothing who lets all be honest can walk around and shout her mouth off but doesn't go to work and lives off the state, but a honest hard working person such as my mum's friend can't get any money. It's disgusting and I'm sick of the lot of them!

  9. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Temporary account as I know some colleagues use this site.

    I think benefits should not be allowed to be spent on alcohol or cigarettes. You should only be able to get a basic TV package /(Freeview, whatever) not Sky, Virgin etc. I think a basic internet connection is extremely valuable as well. You basically should get the basics for most benefits. Some benefits (for example long term illness or disability) would be entitled to more.

    It annoys the hell out of me when through my job I see people I know to be on benefits smoking. It makes me think basically I am paying through my taxes for you to smoke which incidentally is also going to cost me more for the nearly inevitable medical conditions due to your smoking. You can also buy booze and get drunk causing trouble (police cost) and more medical issues (NHS cost).

    Grrr

  10. #8

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    12,258
    Thank Post
    1,670
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    451
    Having been on disability allowance and then bumped to employment support allowance, I can tell you the system is flawed.

    I was on disability because the Dr did not want me working, he still doesn't too this day, but wont go over me because I feel confident and fit enough to work. I was bumped off disability at my own choice and moved to employment support allowance and here is where the problem lies. Moving from one benefit to the other should be seemless, but it isn't. I spent a month waiting to get the ESA and had to go through various medicals to ensure I could get it.

    Because I can work, they determined I should not get it at all, despite specialists and GPs telling them otherwise. ATOS themselves are a joke, at the time I went to see them, I was heavily reliant on a walking stick, taking over 30 pills a day, just to keep my symptoms at bay. They said because I can walk unaided for 5 metres, can answer a phone, I have (and I quote) "A full capacity to work". I have since learnt some exercises to help with my dizziness and I am nowhere near as reliant on the walking stick, but ATOS are a farce.

    The benefits should be altered, to cover major expenses only (IE rent, gas, electric, food) and it should be paid directly to the creditors each month (with the exception of the food which should be done by food stamps / vouchers, with an ID required to redeem).

  11. #9

    SpuffMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,257
    Thank Post
    55
    Thanked 283 Times in 189 Posts
    Rep Power
    135
    What a load of censorious killjoys you lot are! If you could work up as much bile about the overpaid and the tax dodgers, I'd concede you have a point.

  12. #10

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,469
    Thank Post
    630
    Thanked 2,116 Times in 1,452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by temporaryuser View Post
    which incidentally is also going to cost me more for the nearly inevitable medical conditions due to your smoking.
    Try again.

    Factcheck: Does smoking cost as much as it makes for the Treasury? | Full Fact

    About 85% of the cost of cigarettes is tax. Which goes straight back to the government. [And more than covers the NHS' smoking related illness costs.]

    Also, it costs the NHS more over time if you're healthy.

    Alcohol, Obesity and Smoking Do Not Cost Health Care Systems Money - Forbes


    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    tax dodgers
    Tax avoidance is legal. [If you're referring to people using clever accounting to pay less tax.]

    Why pay more than you have to?
    Last edited by X-13; 4th February 2014 at 09:25 AM.

  13. #11

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    12,258
    Thank Post
    1,670
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    What a load of censorious killjoys you lot are! If you could work up as much bile about the overpaid and the tax dodgers, I'd concede you have a point.
    I have done so, I despise the tax dodgers as much as the benefit scrounges

  14. #12

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,964
    Thank Post
    397
    Thanked 390 Times in 276 Posts
    Rep Power
    234
    I totally agree with you, tax avoidance annoys me just as much! But this is a different debate and tax avoidance shouldn't of played a part in it. Overpaid doesn't bother me, it depends what you mean by overpaid, I could state that most of you guys are overpaid as I earn 12k a year and some of the people on here are on 20k+ and still feel like they should get more, the fact is I don't people work hard to get where they are and I respect that so I disagree with your overpaid statement completely!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    What a load of censorious killjoys you lot are! If you could work up as much bile about the overpaid and the tax dodgers, I'd concede you have a point.

  15. #13

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,964
    Thank Post
    397
    Thanked 390 Times in 276 Posts
    Rep Power
    234
    Ok fair comment but what about the people for example my Girlfriends parents who buy the tobacco in bulk from people who visit foreign country's a lot. People do this vastly and this has a huge impact which is not considered on your post. So if someone buys a pack of 50g tobacco from abroad it can be had for around £7 here from another person and they aren't paying any tax. I know too many people who do this and it's very hard to do anything about it. Same with Alcohol it all applies, so unless the website you have posted express concerns on these issues then I wouldn't even bother taking these into consideration. There are too many loop holes. We'd have a much better society if it was controlled so vouchers should be the way to go so that people on benefits can't pay for luxury items such as big TV's, Fibre broadband, Sky and instead are forced to spend it on home improvement and food the necessity's that keep people ticking over.
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Try again.

    Factcheck: Does smoking cost as much as it makes for the Treasury? | Full Fact

    About 85% of the cost of cigarettes is tax. Which goes straight back to the government. [And more than covers the NHS' smoking related illness costs.]

    Also, it costs the NHS more over time if you're healthy.

    Alcohol, Obesity and Smoking Do Not Cost Health Care Systems Money - Forbes




    Tax avoidance is legal. [If you're referring to people using clever accounting to pay less tax.]

    Why pay more than you have to?

  16. #14
    mthomas08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,627
    Thank Post
    139
    Thanked 173 Times in 149 Posts
    Rep Power
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    We need benefits in the UK but there is a lot I disagree with. I believe if your sick but able to work for short periods of time then you should, not just sit there smoke and drink while the state pays for it. The problem with a lot of people on benefits (not all) is their priority's seem to all be wrong in how they spend their money. My girlfriends parents are on benefits "because they are sick" but they spend around £70 a week on tobacco, spend it on loads of alcohol, they have a huge 60" TV with surround sound in their living room, 6 Cats to feed, 1 Dog, 3 Kids and all they do is sit there everyday put the TV on and not move a muscle the house is such a mess. I'm amazed how they can live in it, holes in the doors Cr*p lying all over the floor, hardly ever have enough food to feed their kids properly. Dirty cups and plates lying their for months, so how is it my house is clean but for 9 hours a day I also go to work. It's a prime example the ginger woman and the strange man who lived together with their child on benefits street, there he was walking down to the food bank but he had enough money to buy a designer T-Shirt, Designer Jeans, A new Bike..... It's all about priorities. Instead of the government giving these waste of space people just cash they should give them vouchers to spend so £70 week at supermarkets, £10 week home improvement. Therefore none of the money can be wasted on drugs and alcohol!
    What you have said right there sums up WHY people are angry and fed up with the benefit system. its disgusting that a real disabled child who will spend his life in a wheel chair gets his benefits cut but people who don't care about anyone or anything continue to get money.

    People always use the excuse claiming that its all about the "bad press exaggerating the problem" but how many of us actually know people who ARE on benefits. I have a younger sister who has done nothing to help her self yet expects hand outs as if she deserves them. She has barely worked her entire life (soon to be 28) has had her 3rd child with guy number 2 when she had known him for 3 months before she fell pregnant. She spends her money on fags and going out, her kids get the cheapest clothes yet she wears superdry.

    I completely agree that benefits should be vouchers, been saying it for years (even on here) yet there is always some one who claims they should spend the money on what they want. And frankly its those kind of people who are just adding fuel to the fire of cuts/scrapping of the benefit system entirely. The vouchers can then go on the "NEED" items not the "WANT" items.

  17. #15
    cpjitservices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hessle
    Posts
    2,525
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 293 Times in 269 Posts
    Rep Power
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    We need benefits in the UK but there is a lot I disagree with. I believe if your sick but able to work for short periods of time then you should, not just sit there smoke and drink while the state pays for it. The problem with a lot of people on benefits (not all) is their priority's seem to all be wrong in how they spend their money. My girlfriends parents are on benefits "because they are sick" but they spend around £70 a week on tobacco, spend it on loads of alcohol, they have a huge 60" TV with surround sound in their living room, 6 Cats to feed, 1 Dog, 3 Kids and all they do is sit there everyday put the TV on and not move a muscle the house is such a mess. I'm amazed how they can live in it, holes in the doors Cr*p lying all over the floor, hardly ever have enough food to feed their kids properly. Dirty cups and plates lying their for months, so how is it my house is clean but for 9 hours a day I also go to work. It's a prime example the ginger woman and the strange man who lived together with their child on benefits street, there he was walking down to the food bank but he had enough money to buy a designer T-Shirt, Designer Jeans, A new Bike..... It's all about priorities. Instead of the government giving these waste of space people just cash they should give them vouchers to spend so £70 week at supermarkets, £10 week home improvement. Therefore none of the money can be wasted on drugs and alcohol!
    THIS ^^^ , you have described my inlaws exactly!! Spend hundreds a week on Cigs, they have quit a couple of times and saw the benefits then the next week they are smoking again. They have Cats, and a disabled son living with them. Father in law broke his back many many many moons ago... no doubt this does affect him and BUT there are jobs hes capable of doing aslong as hes sat down... what about Office work ? or something to do with PC's since he's competent with PC's ? Fair enough my other-in-law is having strokes etc quite a bit and I understand why she can't work. They have been on benefits for a lot of years, I believe it's over 10 years. they have had credit card after credit card and are in masses of debt. They even had to get rid of the mobility car they had as they spend that much on Cigs that they couldn't put fuel in the car.

    Same story with my Sister in law, nothing wrong with her fully capable of work, She just chooses not to work. Her words to me have been "Why work when I can sit at home and get paid for it? and miss out on time with my Daughter?" (Bearing in mind her daughter doesnt live with her!!).

    Priorities are all wrong, and to get people to change they need a MASSIVE hoof up the backend!! my wifes family have basically disowned (The in-laws) me now because I am working, I have a job so im not at there immediate call any-more! I'm the outsider!! Excuse me for trying to give me and my family a better life and show them that working does pay.

    I work and still cannot afford A Car, which for me is the biggest thing!! I know of people on benefits living in 4 5 or 6 bedroom houses, really nice cars and they live with no worries at all.

    I have no car, but I have a nice house. Tax bills coming out of my ears and at the moment am struggling to feed my self let alone my family!!

    Hopefully soon, things are going to turn around!
    Last edited by cpjitservices; 4th February 2014 at 10:27 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone Attend any of the big Lan Events?
    By ChrisH in forum Gaming
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 17th October 2011, 05:18 PM
  2. Recycle the big Konica Minolta cartridges
    By dgsmith in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 15th November 2008, 09:03 PM
  3. The Big Bang Machine
    By beeswax in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st July 2008, 06:53 AM
  4. The big 300
    By Dos_Box in forum General EduGeek News/Announcements
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 6th February 2006, 01:19 AM
  5. The big debate?
    By StewartKnight in forum Hardware
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 3rd August 2005, 02:15 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •