+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, The Big Benefits Row in General; Someone was complaining about foreigners coming in and stealing jobs from british people which is why he couldnt get a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Someone was complaining about foreigners coming in and stealing jobs from british people which is why he couldnt get a job. My reaction was this...and this actually got me thrown out of the job centre when I said this...

If a person comes here with a limited grasp of the English language, with no contacts to out them into a job and a willingness to do whatever job pays a wage...maybe, just maybe, you are a lazy **** (redacted because I used a 4 letter swear beginning with S).

Thank Post
    I know I'll get shot down for this. Where are the fathers and husband s that should be providing for the mums and children. Im not against benefits. I'm against men not working when they have responsibilities.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    I know I'll get shot down for this. Where are the fathers and husband s that should be providing for the mums and children. Im not against benefits. I'm against men not working when they have responsibilities.
    It genuinely worries me that some people have such a black and white view of the world... which fathers are we talking about here? The ones who were happily working away earning a living until budget cuts saw them laid off and those same cuts have meant they've struggled to find work since, scraping together what they can each day and trying to get their family through on the meager benefits they are given [compared to full time work], no doubt stressed to the hilt and feeling guilty, like they're failing their families and struggling to see a way out, all because someone high up in government [whose job and salary are just fine thankyouverymuch] decided to slash budgets putting him out of a job in the first place?

No, I guessed you didn't mean those fathers.

Come on people, things aren't that simple; they rarely are!

4. Thanks to LosOjos from:

ButterflyMoon (5th February 2014)

Thank Post
    I worked 2 jobs to support my family when we hit rock bottom.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    During my years I was working during the day in a shop from 8am - 3pm, then an evening job as a cleaner in an office block between 5pm - 7pm, and then a night shift at McDonalds between 8pm and midnight, just to bring in a wage that paid the bills

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by newpersn View Post
    I worked 2 jobs to support my family when we hit rock bottom.
    You where very lucky to get two jobs when you hit rock bottom as @nephilim's recent job hunting experiences prove.

There will always be people out of work - for whatever reason, most through no fault of their own. As a soicety I believe we have a duty of care to help and support these people - workhouses, slums and homelessness should not be considered options in this day and age. Whatever system you dream up so support those in most need, a minority will find a way to abuse that system for their own gain.

Once you accept that the question becomes more about the best ways of allocating the funds available. (And by that I mean amounts allocated to JSA, disability, child benefit, etc - not whether or not vouchers are a good idea). And the fairest way to test eligability. (should child benefit be universal - even for multi millionaires?)

There are more injustices in the current system than benefits cheats. The top end tax rate reduced from 50p to 45p? The bedroom tax?

If you think someone is a benefit cheat - report them!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I caught the repeat last night. Very very poorly edited into 30 minutes it almost made no sense.

That Katie woman on there... cracked me up. Was she high? I don't disagree with the general points she was making but coming across so aggressive just made here look a complete tit!

Thank Post
    I meant the guy on benefits street who quit after a day. Surely he can get some factory work. That's what I had to do at first, then admin/office then IT.

Thank Post
    This debate will go on forever let's all agree to disagree

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    I meant the guy on benefits street who quit after a day. Surely he can get some factory work.
    This'll set the cat amongst the pigeons...

Having done factory work. Experienced the working conditions and pay - I'd sooner stay on the dole and wait for something more suitable to come along, personally.

True story - I signed up to Uni becuase I couldn't stomach doing any more factory work (lasted barely 2 weeks) and there where no other job opportunities available.

Thank Post
    Its always interesting to read these social commentary threads on Edugeek, reminds me of the "big question" on tv

But I'm not sure there's any benefits debate to be had, is the leakage in money enough to be of a concern any more than it is already addressed - I don't think so imho.

I believe in the value of the welfare state as a social safety net, I think its needed but I think its always going to be open to abuse by people who are thankfully small in number. Some of whom genuinely do need help with education and other issues not always addressed by social services.

It was good to see the young family in benefits street having "family\parent classes" - much more of this type of service is needed I feel, I meet a lot of people - as does my partner who works in social services - who don't appear to have had much nurturing or guidance as children - its a vicious circle that creates poorly life skilled adults who often rely on benefits I think.

I also know from experience that a lot of people who project the image of your stereotype "why should I work when I can sit at home and get paid" scrounger are often people who have hidden educational or emotional issues to be dealt with and our current social services system is poorly funded\equipped to recognise let alone tackle that as its busy dealing with the "very" broken people let alone the "moderately" broken... Its tempting to dismiss these people as scroungers and scum - I'm sure some of them are scroungers, but I think a real reduction in the already small amount of people abusing the system could be made by simply helping them instead of demonising them.

I think the idea of vouchers for a percentage of a benefit payment is a very good idea and should be trialled, If I was in a position to need benefits I would be okay with that.

Yes, dealing with peoples issues and needs is all very expensive, but to be honest I don't really believe that any social services are in reality "under threat", its a choice of what the government pays for and who's needs they server and I think history and a brain hints that this usually isn't the business of the people they govern.

So, generally I think the issues around benefits are a handy distraction for hard working types and good for providing someone else to blame - often people that are damaged and uneducated who cannot always defend themselves, and I think people would benefit more - pun - from looking up the tree than looking down it to see why more cannot be done in the context of benefits and social services to improve things for people struggling in this country.

I'm not actually as liberal as I sound btw!

Hope this helps,

my 2 cents

13. 6 Thanks to jbailey:

ButterflyMoon (5th February 2014), Earthling (5th February 2014), Ephelyon (17th February 2014), LosOjos (5th February 2014), witch (5th February 2014), zag (5th February 2014)

Thank Post
    On another note North Korea.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    On another note North Korea.....
    Fascinating Panorama the other night on educating their university students. Worth finding on iPlayer if you've not seen it.

Thank Post
    Watched it last night, I felt sorry for the kids! Do you ever think North Korea will change? I hear Anonymous hacked into their intranet and vandalised the government web pages with pictures of Kim as a pig!! Haha!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Fascinating Panorama the other night on educating their university students. Worth finding on iPlayer if you've not seen it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    I hear Anonymous hacked into their intranet and vandalised the government web pages with pictures of Kim as a pig!! Haha!!
    If that's true, I suspect someone would probably be shot for that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast