+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Michael Gove Pledges 10-Hour School Days in General; Originally Posted by Hokalus I agree that things like homework clubs etc may be a good idea for schools to ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokalus View Post
    I agree that things like homework clubs etc may be a good idea for schools to implement, but these things don't come for free and he's already said there ain't going to be any budget increase. Who's going to pay for teaching for these hours, additional support staff hours, catering (you can't expect the kids not to eat until after 6pm)? Also, is another school going to open even longer so that the staff at this school don't have to pay for childcare?
    I agree that there will need to be extra money somewhere but I think there would be a net benefit to the economy, possibly even some new opportunities for school staff?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    It's just a PR stunt... designed to distract the the media / public from the bad PR created by the unedifying sacking (or not renewing the contract) of the Chairwoman of OFSTED, and just prior to that the suggestion by OFSTED that the Eduction Dept. was briefing against them. On Sunday the spin was about bringing back disciplin in the classroom and students doing lines etc.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26003722

I'm amazed the media get taken in. I guess it's their professional obligation to report and analyse statements from the Government / Ministers no matter what they think is behind them.

Bruce.

Thank Post
    sounds a good plan to me. I doubt the teacher union would be happy but with public support for teachers at a bit of a low, now could be the time to rock the boat.

Thank Post
    Hmmm would it require massive costs - really?

PLANT

Most schools are open until gone 6pm most days anyway - boilers are still firing which would be the single largest energy expenditure.

Teaching Staff Costs

Teaching Staff do not work 9-5 they work a set number of days a year. Drop the holidays down from 12 weeks to 6 and there's your extra teaching hours per day.

Support Staff Costs

Would in the grand scheme of teaching staff costs be minimal. Let's be honest your standard 1000 pupil comp would spend a good 85% of it's budget on staff and barely 20% of that would be on support staff. On average you can get (excluding management support) 2 or 3 support members of staff for one UPS teacher - let alone before you start adding TLRs in.

Is this is a good idea in my opinion? No.

Are there a major obstructions to to adoption? No - especially after Boris persuades Dave to toughen up the striking rules.

5. Thanks to Trapper from:

stariq (5th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Hmmm would it require massive costs - really?

PLANT

Most schools are open until gone 6pm most days anyway - boilers are still firing which would be the single largest energy expenditure.
    Not here they're not. Boilers go off at the end of the school day at latest.

Teaching Staff Costs

Teaching Staff do not work 9-5 they work a set number of days a year. Drop the holidays down from 12 weeks to 6 and there's your extra teaching hours per day.
    So when would they do their preparation, marking, meetings etc...? You've just said you'd expect them to do an extra 6 weeks work. Would you do more work for no more pay?

Support Staff Costs

Would in the grand scheme of teaching staff costs be minimal. Let's be honest your standard 1000 pupil comp would spend a good 85% of it's budget on staff and barely 20% of that would be on support staff. On average you can get (excluding management support) 2 or 3 support members of staff for one UPS teacher - let alone before you start adding TLRs in.
    Money doesn't just appear from nowhere. Extra support staff hours mean less for resources and maintenance. Less for CPD.

Is this is a good idea in my opinion? No.

Are there a major obstructions to to adoption? No - especially after Boris persuades Dave to toughen up the striking rules.
    I think it'll be harder than you think. Teachers are a grumpy bunch, and if the strike rules change they will react accordingly.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Has there ever been a more detested and interfering Secretary of State for Education - why do these silly people never learn the lesson history of education clearly provides - keep your election promises, stop tinkering and let the teachers teach with consistent standards and goals. Mind if they binned maternity leave and cover teaching that would sure help as well. It's hugely disruptive for students to suffer from poorly disciplined lessons given by supply teachers. My word for Michael Gove M.P.

"Listen"
    Last edited by speckytecky; 5th February 2014 at 05:07 AM. Reason: iPad inserted spelling mistakes!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    An improved government:- rnment.

9. Thanks to localzuk from:

Garacesh (5th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Talk of the devil...

Michael Gove Pledges 10-Hour School Days-gove.jpg

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is why the DfE is in fantasy land right now, he looks like Harry Potter.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce123 View Post
    It's just a PR stunt... designed to distract the the media / public from the bad PR created by the unedifying sacking (or not renewing the contract) of the Chairwoman of OFSTED,
    But its not a sacking, no matter how much Labour cries that it is.

It was interesting to see the list (it took some finding) of how many Labour people run other departments and have done for years.

Teachers and Unions don't like Ofsted. But its run by a Labour woman. Now she's going, I imagine "DOES NOT COMPUTE" going through their heads and they're struggling to work out who to side with!

Thank Post
    The main difference between private schools and non private is discipline and the kids are pushed much harder. 30-45 minutes of home work for each of the two subjects each night with three at the weekend.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    The main difference between private schools and non private is discipline and the kids are pushed much harder. 30-45 minutes of home work for each of the two subjects each night with three at the weekend.
    My son gets at least this at his state school

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    My son gets at least this at his state school
    Both the schools I work in, and my governor school, have a robust discipline policy and a homework policy that certainly provides this sort of level of homework from year 6 upwards.
    The main differences between private and state schools are:
    Class sizes- much easier to stay in contact with each student if there are only 15 in a class.
    Committed and probably intelligent parents who care deeply about education (yes, I know many private schools offer scholarships but as a proportion of the intake that is only a few)

Thank Post
    I never saw class sizes of 15, and both parents and teachers were told on induction day "There are a queue of parents wanting their kids here, mess about and you are gone" There was absolutely a massive difference in student behaviour in classes. Maybe it's the times, this was 20 years ago.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123