+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Laptops for Teachers in General; Dear all After the demise of the laptop for teacher scheme 2 or 3 years ago, we have not bought ...

Thank Post

Laptops for Teachers

Dear all

After the demise of the laptop for teacher scheme 2 or 3 years ago, we have not bought any replacement laptops for any of our staff out of the school budget.

Having spent nearly £400,000 on ICT this last year it was not a priority to buy staff laptops.

For the next financial year I am now contemplating on purchasing some new laptops for our staff. All classrooms have access to a PC and we have a staff study area with 15 PC's for them to use before school, after school dinnertimes and during their PPA time.

With the launch of a VLE will the demand for teachers to create resources at home increase through the use of a school laptop?

I am interested to hear what has happened in other schools:

Do you have a rolling programme in place for your staff laptops especially since the end of the LfT scheme? How often do you replace teacher laptops?

Do you lease laptops for your staff?

Does the purchase / contributions of laptops come from department capitations?

Do the likes of Subject Leaders, Heads of Year, Senior Management get priority on the best laptops / always get the newest laptops?

We find its the NQT's that will more often use the laptops more for teaching and learning - do other schools buy brand new laptops for new staff when they join the school start life as an NQT?

Do teachers on long term supply get the chance to loan a school laptop? Or if the person goes off on maternity do you ask for their laptop back until they return?

Sorry for all the questions but I’d be interested to hear your views.

Thanks

Andrew

Thank Post

Re: Laptops for Teachers

for us department heads arrange purchase of laptops during budget. They apply for either a standard laptop, hi end laptop or a custom one ( music, graphics). Sometimes departments will have to trade in a laptop which is then passed onto another person.

We buy laptops with a 3 year do what you like guarantee and insure them thought the schools insurance. After 3 years any repairs are charged to the department or if the laptop is written off it goes towards spares. There is no replacement policy so departments are encouraged to budget for a laptop after the third year, even if they dont actually buy one.

Thank Post

All laptops at our school are purchased through the main ICT budget and every Teacher, TA and CLA has a laptop. This is mainly due to us having electronic registration and an IWB in every classroom.

We've written it into the staff ICT policy that any damage to the laptop could be charged to the member of staff. Whilst we've had several dropped laptops the head has yet to have the guts to make a teacher pay. As a result this year we brought some HPs with a 3Yr accidental warrenty.

We are trying to run on a 4 year life cycle for staff laptops but are looking for alternatives if they exist as we just can't afford to keep buying them each year. We always make the decisions as to who has the newest laptops so that the staff that would benefit the most get the laptops.

Thank Post

Thanks for the replies so far.

The RM Asus Mini PC's. I know these are not "laptop replacements" but has anybody trialed these and thought it could well be the ideal replacement for teacher PC's drastically reducing the cost?

Thanks

Thank Post

We've set up a 3-year laptop program starting from October(ish) this year (only been at this job for a few months and there was almost no ICT support for years before that, so it was slow going to start with!)

Once a laptop reaches its 3 year mark, I'll take it and have a good, thorough look at it, and then make a recommendation as to wether or not a new one is required (with the demise of XP planned for early 2008, that's going to be a lot of fun having Vista around eh?) Some of the laptops here, notably the Acer Travelmate220's (one of which I'm using right now) are great (spec wise) despite being a few years old now - however, little can be said for it's asthetics (fine by me).

Thing is, that seems to be a big issue with staff; they want something that LOOKS good more than they want something that WORKS good (then again, that seems to be a theme in school in general; they'll spend £4k on a new office setup for reception, but won't fork out £300 for a decent PC to give to one of the reception staff!) leading to some quite heated debates (read: shouting at me) about why certain NQTs didn't get a brand new laptop, and are "unhappy" with their one, despite it being only 1 year old and having a better spec than the PCs I was given to use. :x

Anyway, back on track; basically, I suggest who needs a new laptop. Unless management come over and tell me who needs one.
    Then I have to obey.

Isn't life grand?

Pete

Thank Post

Install a Terminal Server:

They can then use their existing laptop to access the school LAN, run SIMS.Net etc etc..

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by djm968

They can then use their existing laptop to access the school LAN, run SIMS.Net etc etc..
    Not from home

And that would be the dealbreaker for me.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict
    Quote Originally Posted by djm968

Not from home

And that would be the dealbreaker for me.
    Why.... I am confused?

Configure an RDP connection on each Laptop and connect to the WTS from home over the Internet. (SIMS.net etc… can be installed on the WTS)

I think RM call it ClientConnect and charge exorbitant licensing fees to integrate their product into CC3.

All of which can be achieved using Windows 2003 and standard Group Policies.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread