+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Another GPU recomendation thread... in General; ...

Thank Post

Another GPU recomendation thread...

So, my faithful, and rather old Nvidia GTX280 GPU looks like it's finally on the way out after years of service. After 30 mins to an an hour of game time, my rig locks up and this happens:

Another GPU recomendation thread...-img_20140129_204509.jpg

Due to a number of things suddenly breaking, funds are now tight at the moment so I can't afford to splash out on some top end GPU. Therefore any recommendations on a low/mid range GPU are most welcome.

Edit:

Budget: £100-£150 (May try and stretch to £200 if it's a good deal, and if I can convince the Mrs!)
    Games: Currently playing: BF4, DayZ SA, DayZ, ARMA3, Skyrim etc
    Brand: Always had Nvidia cards from Asus, but willing to consider all options... including AMD.

Rig specs in my sig so something that will complement it.
    Last edited by Rawns; 30th January 2014 at 12:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 835 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Due to a number of things suddenly breaking, funds are now tight at the moment so I can't afford to splash out on some top end GPU. Therefore any recommendations on a low/mid range GPU are most welcome.
    What's your budget?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depends on budget and what games you plan on playing.

Also if you have a brand preference.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    What's your budget?
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Depends on budget and what games you plan on playing.

Also if you have a brand preference.
    Post updated!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/GeForce-Dire...=graphics+card < best nVidia within the £150 budget

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Radeon-Direc...=graphics+card < best AMD within the £150 budget

based on amazon links

6. Thanks to nephilim from:

Rawns (30th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/GeForce-Dire...=graphics+card < best nVidia within the £150 budget
    Oooo, looks good. Interested to know if the RRP really is £217 as a 31% saving is very tasty!

Thank Post
    Why do people normally go with: Intel CPU with AMD GPU and AMD CPU with NVIDIA GPU?

Im liking both those card.

What about this. Just over your £150.

EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 FTW Signature2 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (PCI Express 3.0, HDMI, DVI-I, DVI-D, Display Port, 192-Bit, Nvidia Surround, SLI Ready): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

9. Thanks to newpersn from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It is RRP of £17 elsewhere right now (ebuyer, dabs, misco) and none have the sale on.

Thank Post
    OK, I'm just going to throw in to the mix that I had the same budget for my recent build and all sources said R9 270X, and on paper you can't argue. However, I had a lot of trouble with the card (plain 270 in the end) that turned out to be down to a driver problem. It appears to be sorted now, but I'm not alone in having AMD driver problems and it appears to be a long standing issue. Take from that what you will.

In terms of performance, I do think you'd be hard pushed to beat the R9 270X for sub-£150. However, based on my driver nightmare, I'll be sticking to NVidia in future.

On the NVidia front, the main things to know are that first digit is the generation, with the latest being 7. This mainly affects DirectX version compatiability but also often means slightly more efficient power use and if there is a couple of generations gap, faster core memory clocks. The main thing to look for is the last two digits, as they are the range; higher is better. x80 is top of the range, £300+. You'll pay considerably fore for a 7th gen GPU than a 6th with not a lot of noticeable gain, so I'd go with a 6 myself. eBuyer have a range of 660's under £150 at the moment: Graphics Cards Nvidia - NVIDIA GTX 660 Series | Ebuyer.com

And just for comparison, here's how the R9 270X stacks up against the GTX 660 (both on stock clocks, some manufacturers apply a factory overclock): http://www.hwcompare.com/15671/gefor...adeon-r9-270x/

As you can see, for similar priced cards you are getting a significant performance boost from AMD, just be wary that you might have some driver troubleshooting to do if you go that route

EDIT: that ASUS 660 posted by @nephilim is a very good deal
    Last edited by LosOjos; 30th January 2014 at 12:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    OK, I'm just going to throw in to the mix that I had the same budget for my recent build and all sources said R9 270X, and on paper you can't argue. However, I had a lot of trouble with the card (plain 270 in the end) that turned out to be down to a driver problem. It appears to be sorted now, but I'm not alone in having AMD driver problems and it appears to be a long standing issue. Take from that what you will.

In terms of performance, I do think you'd be hard pushed to beat the R9 270X for sub-£150. However, based on my driver nightmare, I'll be sticking to NVidia in future.

On the NVidia front, the main things to know are that first digit is the generation, with the latest being 7. This mainly affects DirectX version compatiability but also often means slightly more efficient power use and if there is a couple of generations gap, faster core memory clocks. The main thing to look for is the last two digits, as they are the range; higher is better. x80 is top of the range, £300+. You'll pay considerably fore for a 7th gen GPU than a 6th with not a lot of noticeable gain, so I'd go with a 6 myself. eBuyer have a range of 660's under £150 at the moment: Graphics Cards Nvidia - NVIDIA GTX 660 Series | Ebuyer.com

And just for comparison, here's how the R9 270X stacks up against the GTX 660 (both on stock clocks, some manufacturers apply a factory overclock): http://www.hwcompare.com/15671/gefor...adeon-r9-270x/

As you can see, for similar priced cards you are getting a significant performance boost from AMD, just be wary that you might have some driver troubleshooting to do if you go that route
    Thats why I've always gone Nvidia. The amount of issues people seem to have with AMD driver updates scares me. Friends have had driver update after update and they've never really helped them, and in some cases just caused more issues. Nvidia driver releases are far less frequent and seem to be more stable too. With a history of 4+ Nvidia cards, I can honestly say I've never had a single issue with them in regards to driver updates.

However on the flip side, people say you can get more from an AMD GPU compared to a similar priced Nvidia model. That's why I've always gone with AMD CPU's. A fraction of the price of Intels and I find performance just as good.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 1,000 Posts
    Aria : NVIDIA Graphics Cards, GPU, Nvidia GeForce, Nvidia Quadro, Tesla - Aria Technology

Failing that I normally use google products to find things like this and normally finds reasonable companies who sell the same item for cheaper. ( Google Shopping )

If you can afford a little bit more there is this GTX 760 ( I think Amazon has this card slightly cheaper ) : MSI GeForce GTX 760 OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card + 1 FREE GAME! - Aria PC

Last edited by mac_shinobi; 30th January 2014 at 12:23 PM.

14. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    However on the flip side, people say you can get more from an AMD GPU compared to a similar priced Nvidia model. That's why I've always gone with AMD CPU's. A fraction of the price of Intels and I find performance just as good.
    I'm yet to put the R9 270 through it's paces, but initial thoughts are 'OK'. Compared to my GTX 560, I can't honestly say I've noticed the vast improvement that on paper it should deliver, and the 560 only cost me half what the 270 did! (admittedly it was an ex-display model so I made a good saving on it)

I'm having a gaming night this saturday so I'll put the 270 under some real pressure then and see how it fares - at the moment, I'd recommend a GTX660 though

16. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Thank Post
    I just swapped out my faulty GTX470 for a new GTX 770 2GB (£230) and I'm pretty impressed with it. A GTX 760 is probably a good bet if you don't want to go over the £200 mark though.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-p...mhz-cores-1152
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 30th January 2014 at 12:39 PM.

18. 2 Thanks to flyinghaggis:

mac_shinobi (30th January 2014), Rawns (30th January 2014)

Thank Post
    I'm a little out of touch with the current generation cards, but the last two i've had were both mid to high end AMD cards and they are both still going strong.

I bought a HD5850 reference card when they were ~6 months old, and it was a very reasonable purchase, never struggled with anything I threw at it and is still rocking along in a mate's rig.

My current card is a HD7950 which I bought about a month after release and was the last major upgrade my machine has had, aside from being a little noisy if you OC it, it's never caused me any problems, drivers have always been stable for me, but I do feel like an exception in that case.

In my opinion, the AMD cards are a very viable budget option and are capable of very good bang for buck. Nvidia are the luxury peace-of-mind option, if you can afford it, it's probably the way to go. On a seperate note, however, Battlefield 4 has just announced the Frostbite engine now supports the new AMD 'Mantle' technology, and makes for quite an interesting read in terms of it's performance boosts. Mantle renderer now available in Battlefield 4 - News - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

20. Thanks to LoyalHeretic from:

Thank Post
    Seems everyone is overlooking the Voodoo2

22. Thanks to d0pefish from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast