+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Cancelling Sky TV in General; Hi all, I'm thinking about cancelling my Sky TV as all I watch is endless reruns of Star Trek TOS ...
    Thank Post

Cancelling Sky TV

Hi all, I'm thinking about cancelling my Sky TV as all I watch is endless reruns of Star Trek TOS and occasional River Monsters sort of stuff
    I'm wondering if someone can answer a couple of questions that might have been down this path.

1. Once you cancel your Sky subscription do you loose the ability to record using Sky+, can you view programs only from then on?
    2. Will I loose access to all the already recorded content on the box?

Cheers all.

C. Monster

Thank Post
    As far as I am aware you can carry on using record but you will obviously only be able to record the free channels.

Not so sure about 2, my first thought would be that you have it recorded locally so you should be all right, but I seem to think there is some DRM at work so it may look to your card and block you.

3. Thanks to TechMonkey from:

cookie_monster (30th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    From what i remember from when i helped a family friend out, once you cancel your subscription, you do lose access to what you've recorded

I'm basing this on the fact they had problems with their card, and while they had this problem, they couldn't view anything on the Recorded section either. (any paid for service anyway) Channels like BBC ITV and some other 'Basic' ones still work IIRC.

5. Thanks to Tesla from:

Thank Post
    Yeah you lose access to everything recorded (that you no longer have access too, i.e BBC1 recording should be fine).

Your also apparently barred from taking up sky in your house in your name for a year!

But seriosuly cancel Sky, then wait and wait and wait, usually they will ring you and give you an offer you can't refuse. My brother got all Sky TV free for 6 months then 6 months half price on a 12 month contract.

7. Thanks to Achandler from:

Thank Post
    So we ''think'' I'll still be able to record free channels?

I think I'll watch what I've got recorded then cancel Sky and see what they ring back with

Thanks peeps

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1: You lose the ability to record anything beyond standard freeview (remember, sky add their own set of free channels, which you cannot record unless you have a basic sky sub)
    2: You will lose the ability to watch anything recorded from a channel you no longer have access too. Say for example you record Phineas and Ferb from disney channel, and you cancel the sub, you can't watch it any more as disney isn't on the freeview.

Worth a note, once you cancel, you cannot retake a sky sub for 1 year, so it might be worth going to retentions and haggling for a better deal.

10. Thanks to featured_spectre from:

Thank Post
    Once you cancel Sky you could buy a Freesat+ box and plug it into the satellite feeds from your Sky dish.

It will work out-of-the box with your Sky dish and allow you to record, pause live TV etc. for no subscription charges.

You only get the Freesat (Freeview) channels, but there are quite a few good ones and some in HD.

Andrew

12. 2 Thanks to adhutton:

cookie_monster (30th January 2014), Garacesh (17th October 2014)

Thank Post
    I couldn't we cancelled sky and lost all recorded TV Shows. Instead I set-up a XBMC Frontend with a DVBViewer backend this is so much better than the sky package we had as we only bought the standard channels. We get 100's of channels now, plus we can record TV, Rewind and Pause all works flawlessly! Plus it also means the HTPC is now a DVB Viewer server meaning any computer connected to our local network can stream live TV from it so we have sky TV all round the house. It's well worth looking into a solution like this if you're cancelling sky!

Edit: We didn't even get standard freeview when we cancelled sky only BBC One, Two, ITV, Channel 4 and Five nothing else worked!
    Last edited by abillybob; 30th January 2014 at 11:13 AM.

14. 2 Thanks to abillybob:

cookie_monster (30th January 2014), mac_shinobi (17th October 2014)

Thank Post
    You wont be able to record at all once you cancel - the recording function is tied to part of the subscription.

If you are keen to ditch sky - and with todays prices who isnt looking at saving some money - have a look at a Freesat or Freetime box. (Freetime just being the newest generation of Freesat receiver with added functionality from the internet connection

Freesat give you full recording capability with no subscription and a reasonable selection of entertainment channels.

16. Thanks to Nibiru from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    I couldn't we cancelled sky and lost all recorded TV Shows. Instead I set-up a XBMC Frontend with a DVBViewer backend this is so much better than the sky package we had as we only bought the standard channels. We get 100's of channels now, plus we can record TV, Rewind and Pause all works flawlessly! Plus it also means the HTPC is now a DVB Viewer server meaning any computer connected to our local network can stream live TV from it so we have sky TV all round the house. It's well worth looking into a solution like this if you're cancelling sky!

Edit: We didn't even get standard freeview when we cancelled sky only BBC One, Two, ITV, Channel 4 and Five nothing else worked!

I was thinking along these lines but I've got a babay on the way next month and just haven't got time to play with it at the mo. It's one for the future though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibiru View Post
    You wont be able to record at all once you cancel - the recording function is tied to part of the subscription.

If you are keen to ditch sky - and with todays prices who isnt looking at saving some money - have a look at a Freesat or Freetime box. (Freetime just being the newest generation of Freesat receiver with added functionality from the internet connection

Freesat give you full recording capability with no subscription and a reasonable selection of entertainment channels.

Thought that might be the case. I might look into a freeview box as over the year I'll save over Sky anyway, are the boxes all the same like sky of are there a selection of brands with different features?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Hi all, I'm thinking about cancelling my Sky TV as all I watch is endless reruns of Star Trek TOS and occasional River Monsters sort of stuff
    I'm wondering if someone can answer a couple of questions that might have been down this path.

1. Once you cancel your Sky subscription do you loose the ability to record using Sky+, can you view programs only from then on?
    2. Will I loose access to all the already recorded content on the box?

Cheers all.

C. Monster
    Re point 2, you will loose recorded material for any channels you no longer get once your sub is cancelled. The Mrs subscribed to the Christmas movies channel last year and recorded a load of films. She then decided to cancel it as she was not watching them that often. A couple of weeks later, she wanted to watch a film again but all of them had been deleted.

Thank Post
    I was thinking along these lines but I've got a babay on the way next month and just haven't got time to play with it at the mo. It's one for the future though
    Congratulations! But yes will take a week or so to get it set up perfectly! Though I love it as we have 4 TV's in the house with a raspberry pi with OpenElec on them all so we all have Satellite TV around the house not to mention the extra channels you get rather than just going with Freesat. If you are going to attempt this then use DVBViewer I tried some other free ones and there was no EPG setting on most of them and it was a right faff so for £15 buy DVBViewer!

Thank Post
    I have FreeSat and it's brill! Loads of Star Trek TOS on The Horror Channel, home to those well known "horror" series Xena, Wonder Woman, Dark Angel, Ange, etc and CBS Action, which is great for Hawaii Five-O (the real ones), Bonanza, Gunsmoke and The High Chapperal. Recently FilmOn.tv has popped up on channel 101. This is home to they bizarre program BattleCam.

22. Thanks to unixman_again from:

Thank Post
    Thought that might be the case. I might look into a freeview box as over the year I'll save over Sky anyway, are the boxes all the same like sky of are there a selection of brands with different features?
    Freeview = through the aerial

Freesat = Sky without the subscription element

Both have pvr models available

For the Freesat boxes avoid the cheaper end of the market eg Bush models. They are cheaply made and can be problematical. The Humax HDR boxes from 2-3 years ago have a good reputation and if you care to can have modified firmware applied so you can tinker more fully with the box.

Freetime is new and as far as Im aware only one manufacturer atm. All Freetime adss really is on demand stuff.

Joinfreesat.co.uk has a decent selection of reviews on it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast