+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Cancelling Sky TV in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Whilst sky may say you cannot resubscribe as a new customer for 12 months if they ring you after you have cancelled and offer you something that's a different story.

Also consider a nowtv box we have some for movies as it's £8.99 a month with multiple boxes in the house.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    I couldn't we cancelled sky and lost all recorded TV Shows. Instead I set-up a XBMC Frontend with a DVBViewer backend this is so much better than the sky package we had as we only bought the standard channels. We get 100's of channels now, plus we can record TV, Rewind and Pause all works flawlessly! Plus it also means the HTPC is now a DVB Viewer server meaning any computer connected to our local network can stream live TV from it so we have sky TV all round the house. It's well worth looking into a solution like this if you're cancelling sky!

Edit: We didn't even get standard freeview when we cancelled sky only BBC One, Two, ITV, Channel 4 and Five nothing else worked!
    I don't understand. How can you get the sky channels without a subscription, are they broadcast online and they're hacked into with DVBviewer?

Thank Post
    I was under the impression that for recording to work you needed an active Sky account?

also River Monsters is on Netflix and if you go down the NowTV route side load Plex on to it.

Thank Post
    @Pyroman We only get Freesat channels although I have found that with DVB Viewer it picks up free channels from around the globe so say for instance USA gets Disney Channel for free we receive USA's Disney channel we also get from other places like Iraq etc... But we don't understand the language so we get rid of these. There are also unlockable codes if you do some searching online so that you can get paid british channels for free. Though I didn't do this I have 480 Channels as it is I don't need any more. Really cool setup you should try it!

Edit: Some channels we get include all of CBS Channels, Fox, Disney Channel, Comedy Central, just off the top of my head
    Last edited by abillybob; 31st January 2014 at 12:24 PM.

5. Thanks to abillybob from:

Pyroman (31st January 2014)

Thank Post
    I am hoping to set up a htpc with twin satellite feeds, pvr and of course xbmc.

How do you find the pvr function integrates with the satellite? Can you schedule recordings? series link? Can the pc hibernate when not being used and start up for recordings??

Thank Post
    Edit: I have just noticed this thread is old, oh well its info for anyone that wants to know.

There are too many posts to read, but if you cancel Sky, all the recording functions on your Sky box will be switched off. You will not be able to play back any recording content or live pause.

If you want to keep the recording functions without a Sky subscription you have to pay £11.15 per month.

There was a time when you could switch off the box before cancelling and leave it off for a few months, the box would then miss the "turn off recordings" signal, but those days are long gone with the new firmware and cards.

It is apparently against EU law to brick the box so it cannot record, but Sky allegedly use a loop hole to bypass this law.

You can cancel and then go back to Sky at any time. There is no year limit as others have said.

Sorry if this has already been said.
    Last edited by Alkaline; 4th October 2014 at 03:51 PM.

Thank Post
    What's the loophole?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
    It is apparently against EU law to brick the box so it cannot record, but Sky allegedly use a loop hole to bypass this law.
    The viewing cards expire don't they? Is that the loophole?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freesat...y#Viewing_card

Thank Post
    To be honest I don't see why Sky would need to "brick" the box as when something is bricked it's unuseable they have granular control over what services are available to their subscriber depending on the subscription so I don't see that as a loophole it's their business model?

Ben

Thank Post
    An expired viewing card shouldn't stop you recording free channels though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    An expired viewing card shouldn't stop you recording free channels though.
    It does. In order to record anything on your sky+ box, you need a current subscription. Even the free stuff.

Thank Post
    I am currently in my 30 days cancellation window, have allready been offered 35% for the next year if I continue with them.

I have a Plex server and netflix, ruckus and chrome devices everywhere.

It's the Mrs that's going to be the issue, she likes the sky PVR and the on demand stuff.

Thank Post
    Yup on demand is great and the recording is one of the best, we have a sky tv sub which I got reduced after saying I was going to leave and have movies on a now tv subscription as that's cheaper than adding it to the sky package.

Sky should start offering internet connected sky boxes now rather than needing a dish as it's just an extension of what you can do with now tv anyway.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryMonkey View Post
    It does. In order to record anything on your sky+ box, you need a current subscription. Even the free stuff.
    That's not what I meant. I mean there is no technical reason, Sky just deliberately hobble the box. It's a bit naughty considering they make you pay for the box. They don't tell you that its your box until it breaks and they tell you to buy a new one.

Thank Post
    I've never paid for a box, it's always been free with the install. Why is it naughty to make you pay for a feature? I think it's perfectly acceptable for them to sell you something (namely the ability to record programs from their satellite feed) and then withdraw the feature once you stop paying for it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast