+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What a great time it is at the moment to be a PC Gamer :) in General; It was a marketing technique as the PS3 wasn't doing so well so they used the PS3 to be the ...

Thank Post
    It was a marketing technique as the PS3 wasn't doing so well so they used the PS3 to be the cheapest Blu-ray player around thus winning the HDDVD and Blu-Ray war and making it so many other people bought a PS3 and started using it as a games console.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    when the ps3 came out it was the cheapest Blu Ray player you could buy...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    AAA titles to bother me. I like these games and nearly all of the time they have better graphical capabilities on a PC then on a games console so I always wait for a PC version, I also like to be able to talk to people about games problem being is that most of my friends have a games console and not a gaming PC so I can't normally discuss games with them anymore. I used GTA5 as a prime example as it first came out on the PC, it's made on a PC but they haven't released it for PC? I know there are a lot of good indie games out there like Broken Age for example which I love and my laptop doesn't even need to use dedicated GPU only Integrated meaning I can play it on battery for AGESSSS... this is all great but I can't talk about these games to my friends over a cold beer one night and find different secrets like easter eggs with them as the game is not available to me as a PC gamer. Don't get me wrong I'll most probably never buy a console again as I love the graphics performance on my computer and I'd pick an accurate mouse and keyboard over the PS4 controller any day I just wish there where more AAA titles as surely this would also encourage more people to buy PC's rather than games consoles as PC's can do far a lot more.
    The part that annoys me with PC ports is the fact they need better and better GPUs. Even though high-mid/low-high range cards were more powerful than last gen consoles[Citation needed], they were still unable to run the games with console-esque settings.

It's also annoying that they seem to detect mobile GPUs and refuse to work properly... even though they SHOULD run fine... But I can't prove that.
    Last edited by X-13; 30th January 2014 at 11:13 AM.

Thank Post
    I think a part of the PC-Console "war" is that a majority of console gamers are teens or younger, so get to play Generic Shoot-em-up 5 on their parents 50" LED TV. Buy them a PC and they get to play the same game on a 21" monitor. Parents are generally not going to buy a 50" monitor for the kid, and they also lose the ability to play on a sofa.

The TV is a key part to the console draw. If all PS4/XBOne games were played on the same hardware but on 21" monitors, while sat in a smaller room on an office chair, it wouldn't have the same appeal

So developers could make all the AAA titles they want available for the PC, but the mindset of not being able to play on a very large screen in the living room but instead on a small screen while sat most likely on an office chair will still stop some people committing.

Yes I know there would be alternatives, it's just a generalisation
    Last edited by d0pefish; 30th January 2014 at 11:15 AM.

Thank Post
    My mobile GPU runs great. Even games that don't support mobile GPU's can now be forced with Nvidia's new driver it allows you to run the game with dedicated graphics rather than it just trying to default back to your integrated all the time. I've never seen this as the case at one point I had built a VERY budget gaming PC cost me around £200 and had an GT610 GPU and it seemed to still run most games like the new splinter cell at low graphics and got a decent framerate looked just like it did on PS3!
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    That part that annoys me with PC ports is the fact they need better and better GPUs. Even though high-mid/low-high range cards were more powerful than last gen consoles[Citation needed], they were still unable to run the games with console-esque settings.

It's also annoying that they seem to detect mobile GPUs and refuse to work properly... even though they SHOULD run fine... But I can't prove that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's all short sightedness IMO. Consoles should not need to exist, nor powerful gaming PCs outside of the enthusiast/tinkerer's market which will always exist. Do you honestly see piles of devices by tellies in 10 years time? You shouldn't have seen them last year, yet because of money and stupidness they do. As said, it's an idealist view but there it is. I don't think people are trying to make consoles do too much, they are far more than capable of it. They don't really need to multitask (yet) so we're not asking them to play music whilst viewing BBC HD and play Call of Doody at the same time. Yet.

Also I find it hilarious how often people appear to have difficulty with their PC. I did used to, but then again I was also squeezing 605mhz out of a 300mhz Celeron and had a heatsink larger than my case attached to it with zipties. Crashing was often down to using Windows betas. Not had any problem at all recently, and yes I use windows 8.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 30th January 2014 at 11:17 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopefish View Post
    Such as attatching a wireless Xbox controller and pluggin a PC into a HDMI port on a big TV? I'm sure most kids nowadays are capable of this!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopefish View Post
    I think a part of the PC-Console "war" is that a majority of console gamers are teens or younger, so get to play Generic Shoot-em-up 5 on their parents 50" LED TV. Buy them a PC and they get to play the same game on a 21" monitor. Parents are generally not going to buy a 50" monitor for the kid, and they also lose the ability to play on a sofa.

So developers could make all the AAA titles they want available for the PC, but the mindset of not being able to play on a very large screen in the living room but instead on a small screen while sat most likely on an office chair will still stop some people committing.

HDMI out on the graphics card > Problem solved.

Hell, my TV has VGA.

This doesn't require enterprise tech support levels of technical ability... It's just laziness.

Thank Post
    Nope.

This is why it's getting ridiculous now. They're trying to make consoles do too much.

There's also the fact that all the extra hardware/software needed to run all the different functions is A) Another point of failure [Oh, the music part is broken... Can't watch a DVD any more.] and B) An unnecessary cost.

What's wrong with just buying devices to do what you want?

Want TV? Get a TV.
    Want games as well? Buy a console.
    Also want music? Buy a Stereo.

Having to buy a >£1000 multifunction multimedia device to play a few games is silly.
    Which is why the PS4 went down the games machine first approach because multimedia devices are almost irrelevant themselves.

For example my TV does: TV, Satellite, Recording, iPlayer, webbrowser, avi/mkv/mp4/mp3 DLNA nas streaming, usb avi/mkv/mp4 playback, html5 games, twitter, netflix, hulu and soon game streaming with a pad connected via bluetooth. I like this approach, it uses about 50w of power and its simple.

Console connected to TV for console games and DVD/BR. I prefer sofa and no windows/typing.

PC on a desk for PC games and PC stuff.... I played BF4 more than any other game last year, but I wouldn't want it in the front room. It is a great time for PC games (Strike Vector anyone), but its not some master race for the intelligencia.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 30th January 2014 at 11:30 AM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Example: XBL Gold. %cost% for online play, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, "premium entertainment apps", video streaming from Microsoft, music, 2 "free" games a month...
    Don't forget Internet Explorer in the premium features list. :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Don't forget Internet Explorer in the premium features list. :P
    It'll only be used to try and work out how to install Firefox/Chrome.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    You've only just got this on PC!?! Wow, we had this on console back in the PS2 days! Maybe you do have hope for Red Dead Redemtion after all

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Just got hold of the 'family spare' PS3. Yes, after six years, it's finally my turn. Been gagging to play Red Dead Redemption ever since I watched my son doing some when he first bought it. Having a whale of a time on it, haven't watched any TV since New Year's apart from football, of course.

In fact, it's rekindled my interest in gaming.

I loaded ArmA and Dayz mod but my PC is just plain too old (Core 2 Duo, 4Gig) or needs too much of a rebuild. Screen lag, mainly, I could fork out for a new GFX card, but somehow ArmA just don't do it for me like Land Warrior/Black Hawk Down did back in the day.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've said it before, console and PC gaming are different beasts aimed at different audiences who want entirely different things from their gaming experience. As a console gamer, and no we're not all teens using mum and dad's 100" TV's, I find PC gaming too full of issues such as drivers and whether my graphics cards good enough. I know thing have improved greatly, especially with steam, but I really can't be asked.

The idea console gaming is dying is laughable. The two big players have just enjoyed the biggest console launches in history! Console sales have been declining over the past couple of years not be because people have lost interest, but because everyone had a PS3 or 360 and that generation had gone on a little too long. It's been time for new hardware for a while.

Personally I'd say valve are heading in the wrong direction if they want SteamOS to compete effectively in the living room space.

I don't mind PC's offering backend services for the living room, like media streaming, but I'd sooner something with a little more finesse like a Roku box or a console or AppleTV on the front-end.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 30th January 2014 at 12:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    As a console gamer, and no we're not all teens using mum and dad's 100" TV's
    Which is why I said it was a generalisation.

I don't get how people keep mentioning drivers and such though. When I installed Win7 about 3 years ago I installed the Nvidia driver, and since then that is it. Again I understand there are many not in the same boat, but for the most part, drivers will cause as much problem to your gaming experience as the trouble of not having batteries in your controller or TV remote with your console.

Thank Post
    @Dopefish sometimes it's not just GPU drivers they are easy to sort out half the time! Its drivers for stuff like my Guitar hero issue!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    @Dopefish sometimes it's not just GPU drivers they are easy to sort out half the time! Its drivers for stuff like my Guitar hero issue!
    Fair enough, I can only talk from personal experience of using keyboard/mouse/USB XB360 controller so I can understand the frustration on that part

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast