+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What a great time it is at the moment to be a PC Gamer :) in General; I agree with @ X-13 problem being yesterday I got my Guitar Hero game, installed plugged in controller ready to ...

Thank Post
    I agree with @X-13 problem being yesterday I got my Guitar Hero game, installed plugged in controller ready to play. NO. There was no driver for 64bit Windows 7 for the Xplorer Guitar that comes with the package I had to obtain a third party one which took me hours to find on the internet. Then Guitar Hero wouldn't boot as it said I have a virtual drive installed and it needed no Virtual software installed to be played this isn't an option as I use VMware a lot for other O/S so I had to source a no-cd Crack. Don't worry it's legal as I bought the game it was just to bypass this issue. When I finally got to the game the buttons on the controller weren't working so I had to load up Xmapper and configure the layout of they keyboard to the layout on the Guitar.

Works perfectly now but required a lot of faffing and this is what puts people off pc gaming rather than consoles.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You seem to be of the understanding I feel that the future is PC gaming, when I said the opposite - the future should be a proper entertainment system (or range of) that cope with it all. Simplicity is therefore still there.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    You seem to be of the understanding I feel that the future is PC gaming, when I said the opposite - the future should be a proper entertainment system (or range of) that cope with it all. Simplicity is therefore still there.
    I'm with you - consoles as they are now are a dying breed. They're all trying to become the all-in-one home entertainment system we all want, but all fall short somewhere. At the moment, the PC is the closest thing to this ideal but that doesn't mean it is the answer.

I've just built an "HTPC" that runs XBMC and Steam in Big Picture mode. It has a TV tuner so and a DVD drive (BluRay will be a future upgrade when I sell the PS3). So in one box I have my games (my entire Steam library as it's Windows 7 based, plus emulators for many old consoles which yes, I do own!), my movies, my internet streaming, my music, my TV, my web browsing... it does everything that consoles want to do.

However, it's still a PC, it's still based on Windows and I still have to deal with the occasional crash (BTW, modern consoles suffer crashes occasionally too!), but for now it's about as good as it gets IMO.

I've said this many times over the past few weeks, but I'd love to see SteamBox succeed. I doubt it will, but hopefully it'll do well enough to push manufacturers to develop a new form of home computer, one with simple upgrades, auto configuration of games based on your hardware (as GeForce Experience already does) and a simple, living room friendly front end.

TL;DR - the future has to be an easy to maintain, easily upgradeable machine similar to a PC but that acts more like a console.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thatuser View Post
    All of my wat.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    the future should be a proper entertainment system (or range of) that cope with it all.
    Nope.

This is why it's getting ridiculous now. They're trying to make consoles do too much.

There's also the fact that all the extra hardware/software needed to run all the different functions is A) Another point of failure [Oh, the music part is broken... Can't watch a DVD any more.] and B) An unnecessary cost.

What's wrong with just buying devices to do what you want?

Want TV? Get a TV.
    Want games as well? Buy a console.
    Also want music? Buy a Stereo.

Having to buy a >£1000 multifunction multimedia device to play a few games is silly.

Thank Post
    @X-13 but surely to buy a games console, dvd player, bluray player, Internet Streamer, and a HiFi system will be around the £1000 anyway for decent kit so doesn't the £350 price tag on a PS4 make this a bit easier on the wallet?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    What's wrong with just buying devices to do what you want?

Want TV? Get a TV.
    Want games as well? Buy a console.
    Also want music? Buy a Stereo.

Having to buy a >£1000 multifunction multimedia device to play a few games is silly.
    Cost and space. I'd rather spend ~£1,000 on a single box that does it all than pay as much or more for separate devices that will take up more space, use up more energy, require upgrading every time a new technology comes out (HVD? Upgrade the drive, not buy a whole new machine!)

Thank Post
    @X-13 kind of has a point, but when the shoe is on the other foot..

I don't want a games console. I have a PC.
    I don't want a DVD player. I have a PC.
    I don't want an internet streamer. I have a PC.
    I don't want a hi-fi system. I have a PC.
    I don't want a TV. I have a PC.

Aren't consoles just basically doing what PC's have always done? PC's are very much multi-function devices. I can watch TV on my PC, so I don't need to buy a TV. I can listen to the radio on my PC, so I don't need to buy a radio. I can watch DVD's on my PC - you get the idea.

One of the things that attracts people to consoles is the fact that they don't have to build or maintain it. They don't have to upgrade it. All games designed for that console will run on that console. (In theory anyway) but also part of the attraction is the developers are trying to cram in that glorious all-in-one..ness that I enjoy from my PC.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    TBH, PC and console landscapes are entirely different beasts. We then get problems with developers making rubbish ports that don't cater to different needs.

That Guitar Hero controller problem is a prime example, it is shoddy for the developers to not provide a driver. Likewise, there are PC titles out there running at fixed resolutions, or restricting the FOV to something silly (PC players are closer to the screen then console). What about that NFS title that capped game speed to a low refresh rate! And the menus...every PC has a pointing device of some sort so why do developers make options menus where you cycle through options instead of drop-down menus? Or even make it so the UI won't accept mouse input at all? Lazy ports are the answer as they try to simplify titles to console levels and cock it up instead because they won't pay a bit extra to make a mouse-friendly UI or allow power-users to edit options like FSAA or resolution.

Two different worlds entirely! They shouldn't meet and clash because there will be outrage (look at MS' attempts at a PC-style business model on X1).

Thank Post
    The lack of so-called AAA titles doesn't bother me a bit. Most of the AAA titles are rubbish and rely solely on flashy graphics, gimmicks and hype.
    Unfortunately console makers pander to this and design consoles with (supposedly) high quality graphics cards. Titles like CoD/BF/FIFA and such like are basic rehashes of the same game year on year with improved graphics, and generally with a mention somewhere of a new physics engine.

I'd much rather PC gaming (can only really talk of Steam and Bundle sites at the mo) carry on as they are; selling the occasional big name game but also having a lot of games that are fun, challenging and most importantly don't rely solely on graphics to sell. Two such games, Rogue Legacy and Hammerwatch. Both have very low graphics requirements, but both are extremely fun.

I'm completely with @X-13 here, if I want a TV, I'll buy a TV, not a TV with ability to send tweets and browse Youtube. If I want to play a console game, I want to be able to buy a console, not a device that can control everything else around it and thinks it is part of Skynet!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    One of the things that attracts people to consoles is the fact that they don't have to build or maintain it. They don't have to upgrade it. All games designed for that console will run on that console. (In theory anyway) but also part of the attraction is the developers are trying to cram in that glorious all-in-one..ness that I enjoy from my PC.
    This is why I think a modular design, similar to this, is the way forward. Simply pop a label on the front of the game, for arguments sake let's say that the GPU is given an arbitrary ID based on it's overall power such as GPU1 to GPU10 (this can just keep increasing over the years). Games have a label "GPU1 required, GPU4 for HD." You know which GPU you have, so you know what to expect from the game. The geeks amongst us will still know that GPU4 is a GTX 780/R9 290X, but those who just want to play have a simple numbering system to judge whether their machine is up to task or not.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 30th January 2014 at 11:02 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    @X-13 but surely to buy a games console, dvd player, bluray player, Internet Streamer, and a HiFi system will be around the £1000 anyway for decent kit so doesn't the £350 price tag on a PS4 make this a bit easier on the wallet?
    True, but for the people who don't want all the extra things [or who already have them] it's just an extra cost.

Example: XBL Gold. %cost% for online play, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, "premium entertainment apps", video streaming from Microsoft, music, 2 "free" games a month...

A lot of people only use the online play. Or the Netflix. So you're being forced into paying for a lot of things you don't want/use, so you can get the few things you actually do want.

Same with smartphones. Phone, text, email, internet, camera, music player, video player, photo editing, word processing... But how many features do people ACTUALLY use? Or want... I know a few people who want a decent SIMPLE phone, which are becoming harder to find.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    when the ps3 came out it was the cheapest Blu Ray player you could buy...

Thank Post
    AAA titles to bother me. I like these games and nearly all of the time they have better graphical capabilities on a PC then on a games console so I always wait for a PC version, I also like to be able to talk to people about games problem being is that most of my friends have a games console and not a gaming PC so I can't normally discuss games with them anymore. I used GTA5 as a prime example as it first came out on the PC, it's made on a PC but they haven't released it for PC? I know there are a lot of good indie games out there like Broken Age for example which I love and my laptop doesn't even need to use dedicated GPU only Integrated meaning I can play it on battery for AGESSSS... this is all great but I can't talk about these games to my friends over a cold beer one night and find different secrets like easter eggs with them as the game is not available to me as a PC gamer. Don't get me wrong I'll most probably never buy a console again as I love the graphics performance on my computer and I'd pick an accurate mouse and keyboard over the PS4 controller any day I just wish there where more AAA titles as surely this would also encourage more people to buy PC's rather than games consoles as PC's can do far a lot more.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    when the ps3 came out it was the cheapest Blu Ray player you could buy...
    Because Sony own it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast