+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Your medical secrets... in General; Call me an old fuddy duddy (or a bonkers revolutionary - see thread on Royal Family), but I'm not so ...

Thank Post

Your medical secrets...

Call me an old fuddy duddy (or a bonkers revolutionary - see thread on Royal Family), but I'm not so keen on the imminent scheme to centrally collect all our medical records and "monetize" them by selling them off to whoever fancies them (in particular to the insurance industry, which with the way the NHS is being privatised in pieces, I guess will be a big player in providing healthcare soon) - irregardless of assurances of privacy, it seems quite clear from reading around that the records can be de-aggregated fairly promptly and your details retrieved.

If you don't want this to happen to your data - you need to act now, as you cannot change your mind after the event.

This site provides some details and a ready made letter to print off and send to your GP

medConfidential | Keep my secrets

2. 2 Thanks to SpuffMonkey:

LeMarchand (29th January 2014), Theblacksheep (29th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Irregardless isn't a word btw. Just FYI.

Having been subject to a referral to a privately run hospital (Care24) via the NHS and having received better care and treatment from them, in principle I have no problem with the NHS sharing my medical details for these purposes. When you take out life insurance policies they ask for everything anyway and having a mortgage without a life insurance policy is probably not wise unless you're rolling in it. So your medical details are already floating about in the insurance world anyway. I don't see a problem with having a central database - at least I know it is all correct rather than 2 or 3 different 'versions' of data out there that may or may not be accurate or up to date. I think selling the details are wrong if it is for promotional purposes but for the purposes of administrating care across providers I can't see an issue.
    Last edited by AMLightfoot; 29th January 2014 at 10:19 AM.

4. Thanks to AMLightfoot from:

SYNACK (29th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    I certainly dont want them sold but having them in the same place would be great - I am sick and tired of going to the doctor after a hospital visit, or vice versa and have them ask ME what was done and why. I'm not a doctor!

Thank Post
    insurance, pharma, privately run data collection companies, google....

If they limited it for something that is useful, but its just going to be abused, hacked and be available to literally everyone.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    insurance, pharma, privately run data collection companies, google....

If they limited it for something that is useful, but its just going to be abused, hacked and be available to literally everyone.
    With enough effort it already is...
    @witch brings up a valid point - when you go to hospital they should already know your history, allergies, currently prescribed medication but they don't and you end up having to go through it so many times with 3 or 4 different people - I'm sure it would help waiting times you know.

Thank Post
    Didn't this project stop after spending like £700 million and having nothing to show for it, or am I thinking about Universal Credit IT System

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    With enough effort it already is...
    Now no effort, just money.

Thank Post
    Interestingly my fiance works for the NHS as a business intelligence and SQL developer and deals with the NHS IT systems and centralised databases day-in day-out, as well as all the requests to send data to third parties.

She lets me know whenever they make a new attempt to centralise everyones data and makes sure we both opt out as having seen the state of the systems and how they're used there's no way she wants any of our data in them

Thank Post
    Irregardless isn't a word btw. Just FYI.
    I think it is irregardless: definition of irregardless in Oxford dictionary (British & World English)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I certainly dont want them sold but having them in the same place would be great - I am sick and tired of going to the doctor after a hospital visit, or vice versa and have them ask ME what was done and why. I'm not a doctor!
    If that was what it was for - I'd have less of a problem with it - however - its not about improving your care in hospital or at the docs - its about earning a buck from your private details - personally, at the moment - there are no data on my record that are embarrassing or pose a threat to my personal or private life - but that might not be the case in the future - a "social" disease or a bout of mental instability might make things difficult in some arenas, and once you're "in" this system, there is no opt out, whereas if you're out at the start, you can always opt back in if you think the benefits outweigh the costs.

Thank Post
    Irregardless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is not a 'proper' word per se. Am surprised at the Oxford English Dictionary even listing it as it is usually referred to as a colloquialism or nonstandard.

Quote Originally Posted by The page you linked to
    Irregardless means the same as regardless, but the negative prefix ir- merely duplicates the suffix -less, and is unnecessary. The word dates back to the 19th century, but is regarded as incorrect in standard English.
    So I stand corrected. It IS a word, just not a 'proper' one.

Thank Post
    It is not a 'proper' word per se. Am surprised at the Oxford English Dictionary even listing it as it is usually referred to as a colloquialism or nonstandard.
    The same folks who have added "Google" as a word.

Thank Post
    I would like another option - to allow use of my data under an Open Source licence which would mandate that anything developed from that data be released under the same licence.

Thank Post
    I Don't mind having my details centralised so that it would benefit me in a medical emergency, while away from home say. But to sell on even de-personalised information I object to in the strongest terms. It is a trust issue. I don't trust the kinds of organisations who would buy this data. Plus once this information is out there then it will form the basis of the financial model to Privatise healthcare in the UK.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    I would like another option - to allow use of my data under an Open Source licence which would mandate that anything developed from that data be released under the same licence.
    Genius! I like this approach.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast