+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, CRB checks in General; it was my understanding that if you had an active CRB check your employer would be notified if you made ...

Thank Post

CRB checks

it was my understanding that if you had an active CRB check your employer would be notified if you made a snafu but I've been told this isn't the case hence why our school lets all crbs expire without renewing them. Is that the case?

Thank Post
    I always though it was a legal requirement for anyone who works with children to have an active CRB. When they expire they should be renewed.

That is my understanding of it anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    it was my understanding that if you had an active CRB check your employer would be notified if you made a snafu but I've been told this isn't the case hence why our school lets all crbs expire without renewing them. Is that the case?
    Not sure about CRBs, but now they are DBSs and this what the gov say:
    From https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barrin...check/overview
    A DBS check has no official expiry date. Any information included will be accurate at the time the check was carried out. It is up to an employer to decide if and when a new check is needed.
    Seems like no, you won't be informed, they don't expire and its up to the employer to decide about rechecks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    DBS/CRB should be current and active, and renewed every 3 years (or when they expire). It is the same for schools, legal institutions and many health organisations (NHS, Bupa etc)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    DBS/CRB should be current and active, and renewed every 3 years (or when they expire). It is the same for schools, legal institutions and many health organisations (NHS, Bupa etc)
    Um, did you not read the quote from the DBS website saying they don't expire?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Some people are still on a CRB still...hence not having a DBS yet.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Some people are still on a CRB still...hence not having a DBS yet.
    Ahh I see, your statement above applied the 3 year things to DBS.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    should have been clearer, my apologies!

Thank Post
    Its like a car MOT - valid only on that day.

I'd assume that there's be something in your contract that would stipulate that you notified your manager if you did anything which would cause issues.

When I was arrested I went to see my line manager the next day to warn them the police may come a knocking.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    From Ofsted | Safeguarding children (emphasis mine)

Is there still a need for a three-year rolling programme of DBS checks?

The ‘three year rolling programme’ for all staff is a myth. There has never been a requirement for a rolling programme of three-yearly checks for staff who have unbroken service (that is, no break of three months or more). The only reference to three-year checks in Safeguarding children and safer recruitment in education is in appendix 11, where it is recommended for agency staff. Ofsted and the Department for Education have repeatedly pointed out that such routine checks for staff directly employed by a school or college are not required. Ofsted will consider such routine re-checks to be excessive, as they go beyond what the law requires or the Government recommends. They will not be considered evidence of good practice, and may be considered to represent a poor use of resources.

11. 3 Thanks to AngryTechnician:

DPrince (29th January 2014), sparkeh (29th January 2014), strawberry (29th January 2014)

Thank Post
    The DBS has changed everything. Points to note...

Your employer no longer gets a certificate. You do and they have to ask to see it.
    They can register as an employer and subscribe to an update services. Once they have your DBS number they can ask for an update anytime they like. You don't need to fill in the forms every time.

You can go to another employer an give them your number/show them your certificate and they have to accept it. If they want it updated THEY have to subscribe to the update service. Some agencies etc try to get their costs back by charging you £13...

Edit: Read the FAQs for a general understanding... https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...7_04.10.13.pdf
    Last edited by GeekyPete; 29th January 2014 at 12:59 PM.

13. Thanks to GeekyPete from:

Garacesh (29th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyPete View Post
    They can register as an employer and subscribe to an update services. Once they have your DBS number they can ask for an update anytime they like. You don't need to fill in the forms every time.

You can go to another employer an give them your number/show them your certificate and they have to accept it. If they want it updated THEY have to subscribe to the update service.
    So what happens if I leave Employer 1 (who is subscribed to my naughty-boy updates) and being working for Employer B (who also subscribes to my naughty-boy updates). Do they boot Employer 1 out or can Employer 1 keep getting updates if they felt like it?

And if that's the case, what if I hold down two jobs? Can Employer 1 and Employer B both get updates? Am I consulted about this? How does it work?
    (Haven't read the PDF yet, so it may be answered there. Will read it later) Had a quick skim through it, couldn't see anything immediately
    Last edited by Garacesh; 29th January 2014 at 02:00 PM.

Thank Post
    I kinda skirted over it a little... (read I got it wrong)

You can subscribe for £13. Then you can take it from employer to employer.

Then as far as who can access it:
    Do you have the applicant’s permission?
     Are you legally entitled to the same level of DBS Certificate - Standard or Enhanced?
     If you are legally entitled to a Barred List check does the DBS Certificate contain the one you require i.e. Children’s list, Adults’ list, both or none?
     Does the DBS Certificate contain information which you are legally entitled to see, such as Barred List checks? 
    Is the DBS Certificate for the right workforce – Child, Adult, Both or Other? This will be indicated in the ‘Position Applied For’ section and will show which workforce has been used to determine the relevancy of any locally held police information.
    Child Workforce: any position that involves working/volunteering with children.
    Adults Workforce: any position that involves working/volunteering with adults.
    Child and Adults Workforce: any position that involves working/volunteering with children and adults.
    Other Workforce: any position that does not involve working/volunteering with Children or Adults e.g. Security Guard.

So if you move from School IT to Security Guard say, you still might not be able to take your BDS with you. Because it's a diffent workforce and your employer may not be entitled to see that information. Same applies for standard and Enhanced. But either way it looks like they cannot see it without your permission.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyPete View Post
    But either way it looks like they cannot see it without your permission.
    Yeah, 'cause we all know that's not prone to abuse, don't we? If you'll pardon my scepticism.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread