+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, VISA/Mastercard SCAM in General; This came as an E-Mail from a very good friend and so I am confident of the authenticity [I do ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

VISA/Mastercard SCAM

This came as an E-Mail from a very good friend and so I am confident of the authenticity [I do not believe it to be an ‘Urban Myth’ or anything of that ilk]

The E-Mail begins:

The scam works like this: Person calling says, "This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank) did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for £497.99 from a Marketing company based in London?" When you say "No", the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from £297 to £497, just under the £500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?"

You say "yes". The caller continues - "I will be starting a fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number listed on the back of your card (0800-VISA) and ask for Security.

You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?"

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works the caller then says, "I need to verify you are in possession of your card." He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers." There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, "That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?" After you say, "No," the caller then thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back if you do", and hangs up.

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number.

The rest of the message is personal stuff to me and as such is not included here. Anyone else heard about this? Motto: Watch your credit card transactions I guess!

Thank Post

Re: VISA/Mastercard SCAM

In the situation where somebody calls me - then they should not be asking for card details - simple as.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mortstar
    In the situation where somebody calls me - then they should not be asking for card details - simple as.
    True. But some people will still fall for this, if it is true and if they have not been alerted to it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts

God, I first heard this a few years ago.....
    More details here.....

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/creditcard.asp

Thank Post

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/card-security-code-scam.html

Just shouldn't give that sort of information out!

PEO
    Thank Post

If the bank ever phones me, i take a ref number and call them back, then i go through the dpa. never the other way round

Thank Post

I had a couple of calls similar to that. Strange thing was they were like 'we can either refund it back to your card of or send a cheque'. I said 'ok post a cheque' which they said they would and hung up.

A week later still no cheque but I did get another phone call telling me the same thing!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 1,134 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've had this twice and always ask them to tell me the last 3 payments I made on my card prior to the one they are checking, before I give any more personal information.

When I get asked for a random character from my password I always give it wrong the first time and when it is not spotted then I try to get more details out of them ... if nothing else I will keep them talking to waste their phone bill.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    When I get asked for a random character from my password I always give it wrong the first time and when it is not spotted then I try to get more details out of them
    What a good idea... duly noted...

Thank Post

No offense, but the common sense approach to dealing with this is saying you need to call them back... ask for their name, extension number, the department, etc....

Then call them using the published number for your card, etc... If they're legit you'll get through, if not it's a scam.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread