+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Fake microsoft Caller Scam in General; Hi all. Just interested to know, i always hear of these stories on the internet of the companies that ring ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Fake microsoft Caller Scam

Hi all.

Just interested to know, i always hear of these stories on the internet of the companies that ring up from "Microsoft" and claim there's viruses on your pc etc.

Has anyone experienced this directly, if so, how did you deal with it, did you string them along out of curiosity? or do you know of anyone who has actually fallen victim to it?

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    I just did what someone on reggedit said.

I got an old laptop, Samsung r510 or something, loaded it with zip bomb and tons of viruses. Named it 'Bank details'. Then, when / if they call, let them go through the pc, taking that info and unzipping it onto their machine.

Enjoy

3. 6 Thanks to Sunnyknight:

jpaterson (27th January 2014), mmoseley (27th January 2014), ninjashadow (5th March 2014), Rawns (24th January 2014), speckytecky (24th January 2014), VeryPC_Colin_M (5th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    haha, genius, have you actually done that then?

Thank Post
    I have received one and it turned into a nightmare that resulted in me having to have my number changed. I answered the phone and got the usual 'I'm calling from Microsoft, a computer on your network is infected'. I called him on it and told him we HAD no computers in the house (we didn't at the time as we'd only just moved in). Then he said they'd been alerted by BT our supposed line provider (Our line provider was Virgin media). I told him I wasn't falling for the scam and hung up. So he kept phoning back and getting more and more abusive. I tried to ignore the call but our answering machine picked up and he was saying foul things. He asked me horrible personal questions and said he would get people to come around my house and rape me because I was a 'dirty wh*re infidel'. It was really bad. I kept hanging up but he wouldn't terminate the call his end so the line stayed open and he kept taunting me. In the end I pulled the plug on the phone line and rang Virgin from my mobile. I was in a mess. I was going through a really bad time as it was and suffering with depression and anxiety attacks and I was in a complete mess because he wouldn't stop calling. He said he had my number and would call us whenever he felt like it - at 2am, 3am, 4am. I was on the phone to Virgin in tears so they waived the number change fee and expedited my number change - it was done by the following morning (I left the phone unplugged until the next day). So far (touch wood) I've not had any problems with the new number.

Hanging up on them doesn't work and nor does ignoring them - I used to come home to 3 or 4 missed calls every day from 'Out of area' and even though I asked Virgin to block all out of area calls they said they couldn't. It was only because I happened to be in early that day that I even answered the phone.

It was a horrible experience that has left me wary to answer the phone. I keep begging my partner to disconnect the landline and stop paying for it but he won't - despite the fact that we both have mobiles.

Thank Post
    @AMLightfoot, I feel for you same thing happened to my mum when she was younger, people kept calling saying they we're going to rape her and they know where she lives. Only because she questioned that AOL was actually who they said they where. My dad was a police officer at the time so she was alone in the house after 4 as he was on night shifts. She was incredibly scared and then called the police. The police did contact BT and block the phone number but apparently it's only the police which can request this. Change your number or go with another provider. Failing that get the police involved!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    wow, that epically sucks Sorry to hear.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    @AMLightfoot, I feel for you same thing happened to my mum when she was younger, people kept calling saying they we're going to rape her and they know where she lives. Only because she questioned that AOL was actually who they said they where. My dad was a police officer at the time so she was alone in the house after 4 as he was on night shifts. She was incredibly scared and then called the police. The police did contact BT and block the phone number but apparently it's only the police which can request this. Change your number or go with another provider. Failing that get the police involved!
    Yeah Virgin said the same thing. I did report it to the police but they said there was little they could do as it was an overseas number and they don't have the ability to stop them calling. Thankfully Virgin changed our number FOC and all has been well since. I feel sorry for whoever they recycle that number to though...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,693 Posts
    Our school secretary got hounded by them I told her to tell them her line was being monitored by the police due to nuisance callers. They stopped calling

Thank Post
    I had one once, listened to the usual blurb he splurted out. I just said I'm an IT professional and he immediately hung up.

Always tempted to have a XP VM on standby loaded with add bars, spam, viruses etc etc and let them connect through to it. I really like @Sunnyknights idea too.

Thank Post
    I got a call from a particular one, and decided to string them along to the point of them wanting to remote in.

Basically, they direct you to EventViewer, ask you to count the errors, and then say each error is a virus on your computer... To an average user, that would probably be believable.

One that had him confused to start off with, was when he asked what my OS was, I told him Linux... He replied asking if that was Vista So, out of interest I then told him XP to see where he'd go with it.

After 20 or so minutes, he asked me "what are you going to do about the viruses. For one off fee of £99 I can remove them." When I then told him I worked in IT he got very angry and abusive and put the phone down.

I rang the company back, got put through to someone else and then had a big argument about how they're just scamming innocent people out of their cash, they denied they'd ever rang me and put the phone down again!

Was good fun. I've been hoping they'd call me back since, as I want to let them get remote access... Can't remember the name of the company atm, but they had a very badly worded website offering a "free remote health check".

Thank Post
    I got one,

Spoke to my mum - Who believed them, who installed their crap on their home PC - Had to wipe that badboy.

Another one, thought "Ill get my bloody own back here"

Loaded up a VM, that I was reinstalling the day after anyway
    Installed their crappy software that locks everything out
    When they proceeded to tell me, I needed to pay - I informed them that I had just screen captured the entire VM and that I was just going to reinstall it
    Called me a "bast**rd" on the phone and hung up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I let them do their crap on a machine which had deep freeze, was so funny saying "I'll just restart the machine, it has deep freeze so that will fix it". Got so much abuse because I led him on! lol

Thank Post
    It is clear, from all of us working in IT we like to get our own back!

Thank Post
    Quite a few of my friends and relations have had calls from these guys and fortunately they were savvy enough to contact me and ask if the calls were kosher.

I have been called 4 times so far and have had great fun stringing them along and deliberately messing up their script by giving conflicting answers. On one call the (probably) Indian gentleman tried to win me over by asking what my favourite football team is. When I told him I don't follow football he got very confused as his script obviously said that all British guys love football

On another occasion, once I finally persuaded the guy that I really did know my way around a computer and that I earned my living (Ha!) fixing and programming them he asked me for a job!

The sick part of this scam of course is not just that they take money for doing nothing but clearing the event log, but that they know they can call the user back in a month or two and the logs will be filled with lots of new "viruses" that they can charge for "removing"...

Thank Post
    I know two people at my previous job that had these "Microsoft" people call claiming they have detected virus's, on both cases they allowed access to remote on to their PCs.

One pulled the plug after she saw her files being accessed and another one was saved by his Mrs when he started to type in his credit card details.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast