+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
General Chat Thread, Fake microsoft Caller Scam in General; Mum seems to get these calls every now and again. Luckily she says to them that my brother and I ...

Thank Post
    Mum seems to get these calls every now and again. Luckily she says to them that my brother and I are IT techs and she'll get us to fix it. Don't think my Gran has had any of these calls, but I'd hope she'd do the same thing as Mum as we look after her laptop too.

Thank Post
    I recently discovered my parents machine full of malware so created an 'admin' profile and an 'Office' profile that cannot install anything and has no permissions to change settings. It's working out well. I still can't believe the abuse I got when I called out one of these 'scammers'. It was terrifying. If you've never experienced this you're lucky, but sometimes snarking back or calling them out on the lie results in more hassle.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I recently discovered my parents machine full of malware so created an 'admin' profile and an 'Office' profile that cannot install anything and has no permissions to change settings. It's working out well. I still can't believe the abuse I got when I called out one of these 'scammers'. It was terrifying. If you've never experienced this you're lucky, but sometimes snarking back or calling them out on the lie results in more hassle.
    They are ramping up here, had two in one night. I now just leave them in no uncertain terms that I am not interested and suggest they go get ravaged by crazed wild goats at their earliest convenience. I have yet to find one that is more creative than me with words.

4. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Garacesh (14th July 2014)

Thank Post
    They did get upset when I called them Oxygen thieves. Never said a rude word but they did use some juicy language. I then informed them that they would not be going to paradisewith that sort of language. That really upset them They hung up!

Thank Post
    Yes, they called me on Sunday and I let him explain to me everything in details. After all, I said, I did not switch on my laptop, and asked him where is the Shut up button and then thankfully, he got fed up and hang up without saying goodbye. LOL

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,004 Posts

Windows tech support scammers take root in the U.S. « Computerworld

Not every Windows tech support scam starts in India, not every scammer speaks in heavily-accented English, a security company said today.

In a new trend, scams have gone home-grown, said Malwarebytes on Monday, with twists that include bogus warnings driven by malicious websites that urge users to call a toll-free number.

"This is the first instance [of a Windows support scam in the U.S.] on this scale that I've found," said Jerome Segura, a senior security researcher with San Jose, Calif.-based Malwarebytes. "Most scammers are in India, but we wanted to expose this because they're harming U.S. customers, who will feel more comfortable with a [native] English speaker."

Segura, who said he has been tracking fraudulent support schemes for the last 18 months, stumbled across the latest operation while investigating violations of Malwarebytes' software licensing. Previously, the company had found other borderline businesses illegally selling its security software.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,636 Times in 1,462 Posts
    Had a couple of these:

https://soundcloud.com/plexman/

Ben

9. 2 Thanks to plexer:

Arthur (11th August 2014), VeryPC_Colin_M (12th August 2014)

Thank Post
    They even make the mistake of phoning the BBC's Technology Reporter......funny

https://soundcloud.com/rorycellan/another-call-about-my

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567