+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Fake microsoft Caller Scam in General; Originally Posted by AMLightfoot Funny. I'm with Natwest and had this exact issue. Never did find out what they wanted. ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Funny. I'm with Natwest and had this exact issue. Never did find out what they wanted.
    just been on phone to barclays, she couldnt find details, it wont do this, and other stuff ffs. im patient but they asked me 3 times my details on an 0845
    number 6.6p / min landline and mental on mobile so...
    barclays have annoyed me numerous times over the years still.need to work out who to change to.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    just been on phone to barclays, she couldnt find details, it wont do this, and other stuff ffs. im patient but they asked me 3 times my details on an 0845
    number 6.6p / min landline and mental on mobile so...
    barclays have annoyed me numerous times over the years still.need to work out who to change to.
    I think they are all as bad as each other. FWIW I also have accounts with Halifax and at least whenever I phone them the person on the end of the line usually has a scottish accent. The Halifax online banking site is not as feature-rich as the Natwest one, so if I were judging my bank based on online provision I'd choose Natwest over Halifax simply because the online site allows me to interact as little as possible with the bank itself.

Thank Post
    I'm with Smile, and never actually have to talk to them. Was with Halifax many years ago, but the only Xtra they gave me was grief. Smile "just works" - wonderful.

Thank Post
    my opinuion to solve phone calls and when they ask you to confirm your indentity by answering security questions as people point out they can be anybody - my solution would be they required to provide a security question and answer aswell to confirm they are who they say they are aswell

Thank Post
    Had one call me up today just to say he needs to inspect the computers at my workplace, he also started going on about saying Windows XP is no longer supported did you know and your computers are infected with malicious software! I replied that's funny we don't have Windows XP machines anywhere, yet he still went on to say we did it was like he wasn't listening, then he asked me to go to team viewer.... I did a sarcastic laugh and hung up the phone muttering "idiot"! Grrr make me so angry!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    Had one call me up today just to say he needs to inspect the computers at my workplace
    If somebody falls for that, the consequences could be extremely scary..

Thank Post
    It's a good job all remote applications are blocked via Smoothwall only I have access to the sites

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Just had a call from "windows technical department" you know microsoft well these are the technical department of them and if i looked at event viewer in applications then I have errors and warnings that are been reported to there windows server in there office ( just the one server mind). They could fix this for me if I went to ammiiee .com .
    Their senior technician talked me through it all he did get flustered when he told me to go to that site and asked me what could i see..... and i said 'boobies' ( just to be clear I knew what they were on about and was playing along ) kept him talking for 10 mins before I lost my rag with him and told them what I thought of them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Best I managed was about half an hour, got all their scam details then reported them to the NZ Police scam department and told them so at the end of the call.

Got another one much layer and could not be bothered with the long winded setup so just asked them to describe which computer it was, then lead them on a magical journey of the collection of classic mainframes in my imaginary basement just to check it wasn't one of those, they hung up when I asked if it was a problem with one of the valves.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Still not had one of these

Thank Post
    My neighbour was at my door early Saturday morning in tears, having just had one of those calls. She's a single mum who scrimped a long time to be able to get a computer for her daughter, and the call really upset her. Fortunately she has no money to pay their "fixing fee" so eventually put the phone down on them. It took us a long time to convince her it was an evil con.

For those of us who understand computers these calls are funny, but the effect on the majority of people is horrible to witness.

Thank Post
    We get these all the time here in Switzerland. I seriously struggle to understand why though, as no one I know has ever fallen for it.
    Its quite funny when they try to convince me or my wife that our windows is stricken with loads of viruses when we don't run any windows PCs at home. I wouldn't mind, but I actually live in the school building that I work at, (Boarding School), which means they are actively calling a school when they dial the number, and should realise that we have our own IT department anyway.

Thank Post
    @claerq
    Yeah a vicar near me has fallen for it and payed out £75 for them to fix it, she never got the money back as far as I'm aware. I did go and sort her computer out afterwards.
    Think is if you dont know much about computers then they are convincing. eventview with errors and warnings so there must be problems.

Thank Post
    My mom gets these occasionally, have started getting her to tell them not to bother as she is running Ubuntu.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast