+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Fake microsoft Caller Scam in General; had an indian fella try this one this morning. His accent was amusing and made me instantly think of it ...

Thank Post
    had an indian fella try this one this morning. His accent was amusing and made me instantly think of it as a scam, only stringed him along for a few mins really.

He claimed he was from MS and My computer had been hacked and all my personal info had been stolen and they were going to transfer me to some other department.

Crazy I couldnt beleive the cheek of these people, it had the delay at the start before the call got connected so I not sure if that means theres some call center abroad doing this all day.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    it had the delay at the start before the call got connected so I not sure if that means theres some call center abroad doing this all day.
    I'd assume that the people in the call centre don't know its a scam or that they aren't making calls for Microsoft. You'll find that $ShadyCompany are paying for time/calls at $CallCentreOwningCompany since they transfer you to the technical dept they are probably transferring you out of the building to the scammers.

3. Thanks to Arcath from:

Garacesh (10th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Mr gee40 took one on Saturday while I was out. The asian caller from "Microsoft" opened with asking him if he had any problems with the performance of the computer; Mr gee40 said he just put the phone down without saying anything. We haven't had a return call... yet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcath View Post
    I'd assume that the people in the call centre don't know its a scam or that they aren't making calls for Microsoft. You'll find that $ShadyCompany are paying for time/calls at $CallCentreOwningCompany since they transfer you to the technical dept they are probably transferring you out of the building to the scammers.
    That has not occurred to me. So all the Asian call-centre workers think we are incredibly rude and arrogant because they are totally oblivious to the fact that their client is trying to rip us off?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    That has not occurred to me. So all the Asian call-centre workers think we are incredibly rude and arrogant because they are totally oblivious to the fact that their client is trying to rip us off?
    If you were smart, that's how you'd run the scam, yeah.
    The 'front-end' workers think they're legit, so they won't kick up a fuss. The 'back-end' scammers don't have to do anything at all until someone feeds them a prospective mark that's already 'invested'.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    If you were smart, that's how you'd run the scam, yeah.
    The 'front-end' workers think they're legit, so they won't kick up a fuss. The 'back-end' scammers don't have to do anything at all until someone feeds them a prospective mark that's already 'invested'.
    The 'back-end' scammers also have the ability to deny being from Microsoft because they never mentioned it after you get transferred to them.

8. Thanks to Arcath from:

Garacesh (10th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcath View Post
    The 'back-end' scammers also have the ability to deny being from Microsoft because they never mentioned it after you get transferred to them.
    Also true, I'd suspect.

Thank Post
    That certainly rings true with my experiences of them. The front end get very upset when you accuse them of scamming you, but then again, they're almost too defensive. Methinks they do protest too much!

Thank Post
    Maybe a part of them suspects, that they don't want to believe, because they're actually earning money right now, and the needs of their family outweigh the possibility that they might be aiding scammers, so long as it's only a possibility. It could be wrong, right? Right? Please let that be right..

You never really know the whole story, I s'pose.

Maybe they're only paid on commission and commission alone, so it's in their interests to get you invested.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    That's interesting because none of the callers I have ever had havent put me through to anyone - they have launched straight in to the event viewer stuff

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    That's interesting because none of the callers I have ever had havent put me through to anyone - they have launched straight in to the event viewer stuff
    I believe the eventvwr stuff is first as the bait and hook. Once they have you convinced something is seriously wrong with your PC you get escalated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoZeroAlpha View Post
    I believe the eventvwr stuff is first as the bait and hook. Once they have you convinced something is seriously wrong with your PC you get escalated.
    Ah, I see, except that most of them have actually said they work for microsoft - or I thought they did....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They use eventvwr to show you how many "viruses" are on your machine, and then alter settings on the machine which cause it too look like it has been heavily infected. By that point they then charge to get it back to how it was, install AVG free and Malware bytes. They charge between 200-500 for this service.

I have had them on a virtual machine, and when it "rebooted" and came up the same, they said there was a problem. They didn't like being connected to a virtual machine at all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    They use eventvwr to show you how many "viruses" are on your machine, and then alter settings on the machine which cause it too look like it has been heavily infected. By that point they then charge to get it back to how it was, install AVG free and Malware bytes. They charge between 200-500 for this service.
    bonkers. obviously works with some people. Had a teacher in the last school I worked in come in with her laptop as her hubby had payed 80 for something to be done over the phone, so we checked it was still vanilla windows.

I have had them on a virtual machine, and when it "rebooted" and came up the same, they said there was a problem. They didn't like being connected to a virtual machine at all.
    lol. nice one Suppose I need to get something ready incase I get a reoccurence

17. Thanks to Kurgan from:

nephilim (11th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I agree but what's even more infuriating is my bank's recent trend of calling me then asking me to confirm my identity via a series of personal questions. When I point out that they called me and that they could be anybody, they act like I'm the idiot!

Of course I never tell them anything but have called my bank directly when this has happened and yes, it was the bank and yes, they do need to confirm my details. Absolute stupidity. Then again, I am with Lloyds, nothing they do makes any sense to me any more!
    Funny. I'm with Natwest and had this exact issue. Never did find out what they wanted.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast