+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Fake microsoft Caller Scam in General; Originally Posted by CHR1S Unfortunately I have become jaded over time and now suspect EVERYONE! Even the poor sod who ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Unfortunately I have become jaded over time and now suspect EVERYONE!

Even the poor sod who knocked the door last week, collecting for the Air Ambulance. He had a very nice looking ID badge, but ill be a monkeys if your getting my details for a direct debit on my doorstep. (and the fact I'm tight as - charity begins at home old boy)

Strangely people tend not to string me along, the lady claiming to be from Virgin offering a free upgrade if I just confirmed my password with her didn't stay on the line.

I often find laughing manically at their stupidity whilst pointing it out is another great way to wind them up.
    I agree but what's even more infuriating is my bank's recent trend of calling me then asking me to confirm my identity via a series of personal questions. When I point out that they called me and that they could be anybody, they act like I'm the idiot!

Of course I never tell them anything but have called my bank directly when this has happened and yes, it was the bank and yes, they do need to confirm my details. Absolute stupidity. Then again, I am with Lloyds, nothing they do makes any sense to me any more!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I agree but what's even more infuriating is my bank's recent trend of calling me then asking me to confirm my identity via a series of personal questions. When I point out that they called me and that they could be anybody, they act like I'm the idiot!

Of course I never tell them anything but have called my bank directly when this has happened and yes, it was the bank and yes, they do need to confirm my details. Absolute stupidity. Then again, I am with Lloyds, nothing they do makes any sense to me any more!
    This^^

How do banks expect people to behave sensibly when their own tactics promote phishing?

Stupid, stupid, stupid

Thank Post
    @LosOjos I'm with Lloyds too, to be fair they have been great with the very few issues I have had in the past.

The callers are quite happy to let you hang up and call them back on whatever number you know to be correct if you are wary. I now have them text me first from a verified number and then I call them back if I need to.

Thank Post
    The callers are quite happy to let you hang up and call them back on whatever number you know to be correct if you are wary.
    Isn't that moot anyway, because if the guy on the other end doesn't hang up, you get put back through to them? (There's some stupid mechanic about if both people don't end the call, I think..)

Thank Post
    Natwest have been really good over this kind of thing... When their credit card services call me they tell me what transaction they are querying about, and only ask for parts of my DOB and then random parts of my security information. They've also been really good when I lost my card and it was picked up and used to set up a paypal account (my verified paypal account does not have this card attached to it) Everything was sorted out in 2 20 minute phone calls to natwest and paypal, and the £200 they had spent was back within 24 hours.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Isn't that moot anyway, because if the guy on the other end doesn't hang up, you get put back through to them? (There's some stupid mechanic about if both people don't end the call, I think..)
    Yep that's how some scams have run. They tell you to hang up, call your bank then they do not hang up so the line is still active. You then pick up, and get through to what you believe is the bank who confirm everything when it's just another person on the same call.

I've had the same with Natwest and did before with O2 as well....call to say can I confirm identity. I've said yes, can you confirm yours.
    A few times the "I'm calling from X" actually means "I'm calling from a company who X sold your details to".....Call from O2 but they had no idea about my contract and said I could upgrade early if I wanted a new phone...despite at the time being 3 months in to a new contract. Turned out it was a company that had my details from O2 and would get a bit of cash if I signed up for a new contract through them.

Basically if you need me now, I'll call you

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    Natwest have been really good over this kind of thing... When their credit card services call me they tell me what transaction they are querying about, and only ask for parts of my DOB and then random parts of my security information. They've also been really good when I lost my card and it was picked up and used to set up a paypal account (my verified paypal account does not have this card attached to it) Everything was sorted out in 2 20 minute phone calls to natwest and paypal, and the £200 they had spent was back within 24 hours.
    The other problem i always see with giving random details is how do you know the other end has it? Say your password is dog. I call you and say I'm from natwest, can you give me the first and third letter. You say D and G because you don't want it to be wrong, I say yes that is correct. At what point have either of us verified the other?
    If you give me the wrong details and I say correct, you might be on to something, but then if I am legit, you've now just given wrong details to your bank and they might start to doubt you!

If you aren't the initiating the call it should always be treated with a hint of suspicion....always!

Thank Post

This......a hundred thousand times this.

As soon as I'm asked to confirm my identity , I say 'But you called me. If you don't know who you're calling, what's the point of talking to you,' and hang up, straight away.

Few, if any, now I come to think about it, ever call back.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    I use mobile 99% of all calls.

Thank Post
    Unfortunately I have become jaded over time and now suspect EVERYONE!

Even the poor sod who knocked the door last week, collecting for the Air Ambulance. He had a very nice looking ID badge, but ill be a monkeys if your getting my details for a direct debit on my doorstep. (and the fact I'm tight as - charity begins at home old boy)

Strangely people tend not to string me along, the lady claiming to be from Virgin offering a free upgrade if I just confirmed my password with her didn't stay on the line.

I often find laughing manically at their stupidity whilst pointing it out is another great way to wind them up.
    its the same with the dead line calls ive started counting from 1 to 10 (increasing in volume every time) then just hang up. Again i olny have a land line for the internet the only people who have my number are bt (duh) parents sister and aunt and uncle. Ive come to the conclusion that any one that doesent do the courtesy of showing on called id who they are gets ignored

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    its the same with the dead line calls ive started counting from 1 to 10 (increasing in volume every time) then just hang up.
    I really hope you do this in public.

Thank Post
    Someone I know had a call and he strung them along for a bit and then shouted "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? THERE'S SMOKE COMING OUT OF MY COMPUTER - EVERYONE! GET OUT THE HOUSE IS ON FIRE - GET OFF THE PHONE YOU BARSTEWARD I NEED TO PHONE THE EMERGENCY SERVICES".

He's not been troubled since.

13. Thanks to laserblazer from:

Arcath (27th January 2014)

Thank Post
    I really hope you do this in public.
    on my landline? suppose I could open the windows. Don't think other than the operator ive ever had a cold call on my mobile

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    on my landline? suppose I could open the windows. Don't think other than the operator ive ever had a cold call on my mobile
    I get them on my mobile all the time never use the landline and retailers I want to have my details have an irritating habit of selling them to the highest bidder

Thank Post
    I get them on my mobile all the time never use the landline and retailers I want to have my details have an irritating habit of selling them to the highest bidder
    on web forms etc when it asks for a phone number I cheat so say its a ford dealer I fill in a vauxhall dealers number instead of mine or just make one up most forms don't check so a lot start 0891 lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast