+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Fake microsoft Caller Scam in General; I also enjoy playing with them on the phone and string them along for as long as possible, while there ...

Thank Post
    I also enjoy playing with them on the phone and string them along for as long as possible, while there on the phone to me there not scamming anyone else.

I act completely stupid and make them repeat everything 10 times, "im sorry where is that again, im sorry I dont see that link/button to click" kind of thing, and a hold on a minute the front door thrown in for good measure, and leave them hanging 10 minutes. By the time/ if we reach remote login, after i've pretended to download whatever they wanted, and their saying things like im trying to login now and not working, I reveal that they have just wasted the last 40-60mins on the phone with IT professional and i'm not about to fall for a stupid scam, I have to say that some are a mite unhappy, at which point i hangup

I also try and figure out how smart they are when they ask for an ip address ill give them a 10.x.x.x address and see if they catch on.

Thank Post
    If you search on here there are a couple of other threads reporting such calls. I still laugh remembering my colleague taking such a call on our DDI line - What Operating System do I use? Vista 7 I think

Thank Post

Thank Post
    i had one last year on the office line,

that was fun.
    "hello how may i help"
    "ohadsuiogdsa" what ever they say
    "oh you have a issue what machine are you on and where are you located?"
    they say garbage
    "oh sorry i think you have the wrong number as this is microsoft internal tech support"
    phone goes dead

Thank Post
    I have had 10-12 of them over time. But never have they said they are from microsoft . the script is usualy "Windows Support centre"

Originaly I said I run linux, took them a while to get off the phone.

The I decided to "Scam Bate" them set up an XP Virtual Machine and attempted to make the call as long as possible.

45 Minutes is my record.

Even with a BIG desktop background saying " You Idiot , I am not being Scammed by you" and even my saying "" What's that desktop saying, how did that happen" it still took ages.

The last time the guy on the phone went of on a rant when he realised he was being strung along.

Him " You think your smart"
    me "Yep Smarter than you"
    Him "your not so smart, I trash your machine"
    Me "maybee but I am still smarter than you. It's a VM go ahead."
    Him "HAHAHAHAHA, I am deleteing all yoru files"
    Me "I see that, They will be back in 30 seconds"
    Him "HAHHAH they are all going"
    ME " Wow, you realy have me there, I am going to have to revert to snapshot"
    Him " You still think your smart"
    Me " Er Yes "
    Him " I am going to come and f....k you up the a....s"
    Me "That's the VM rebooted and restored by the way"
    Him " You ^$%^$^$%^$^$ ..... Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

That was about 18 months ago. Never been disturbed again.

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,757 Posts
    I have had several of these and EVERY time I have said I am an IT professional and I knew what was going on but they have just kept going - told them that event viewer was not "problems" etc but it made no difference - they just go on arguing. I think it might be because I am female.
    So the last one I had- I said:
    "do you believe in God?"
    He said that he did and I asked him as a religious person if he felt comfortable doing a job like his - ripping people off, stealing their money and frightening people?
    HE WENT ON ARGUING! I was really surprised - I thought he would back off. He just went on and on and on. I put the phone down in the end

Thank Post
    I had one on Christmas eve, lovely early present. Gutted I didn't have a VM ready (will resolve that soon). Strung him along for about 15mins then let slip that I wasn't going to be scammed. He got very upset and was going to give me the number for his office so I could call them but hung up on me instead. Gave me an address in London for where he was based.

I have had 3 different friends caught be this, two gave card details but all three let the gits on their machine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yugo View Post
    That was what got me to start this thread haha.

Thank Post
    I had this a few days ago. Just kept him on and listened to him waffle on, agreeing with anything he said, til i got bored with it and hung up.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I had one of these on Thursday at home, my wife gets quite a few as well and just hangs up on them.

I asked him exactly where he is located, Leicester apparently, I asked where as I know Leicester quite well (don't really), "By the McDonalds" was his reply, "the big one" ! I gave up at this point, just got in from work and just hung up on him.

Had one a while back where I played along a bit and started to freak out when he told me my computer was infected; I went into panic mode and started screaming down the phone pretending to cry that my machine was infected and I was going to throw it out. My family were rolling around in fits of laughter until he told me to "F**k off"

Pete

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I kind of want one, just to string them along, but we at home rarely answer the hosue phone, as almost EVERY time it's a recorded message of some kind, all the people we need to get in contact with have our mobile numbers, so if they do desperately need us then they can ring that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    I kind of want one, just to string them along, but we at home rarely answer the hosue phone, as almost EVERY time it's a recorded message of some kind, all the people we need to get in contact with have our mobile numbers, so if they do desperately need us then they can ring that.
    I'm the same, my home phone line exists only for the internet there is no handset plugged into it and no one knows the number so I don't really get calls like this.

I really want one of these "Microsoft" ones tho, my plan is to give my IP as 127.0.0.1 just to see what happens.

Thank Post
    There's an Australian security guy who has posted a number of videos of him 'scamming' the scammers... See his blog here (Warning, some are NSFW)

14. Thanks to bmdixon from:

sparkeh (27th January 2014)

Thank Post
    We've had a few of those to peoples DDI lines here... One guy clearly knew he was phoning a school because he claimed to be calling from 'Your council IT service' and tried to get them to install log me in on the machine - which didn't work as logmein is blocked as a website for non admins. When the guy was questioned a bit further he couldn't answer any of the questions, and hung up.

One of the calls got abusive when the person discovered that the user on the end of the line couldn't do anything: downloads of exe blocked, installs of activex controls blocked, access to control panel blocked, access to event viewer blocked. Fortunately it was to one of our more pragmatic male members of staff who told the guy where to go with some colourful english invective.

The closest we came to disaster was that one of our local admin users got a call through and began to install, i think, team viewer, before thinking better of it and hanging up.
    Last edited by Oaktech; 27th January 2014 at 12:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Unfortunately I have become jaded over time and now suspect EVERYONE!

Even the poor sod who knocked the door last week, collecting for the Air Ambulance. He had a very nice looking ID badge, but ill be a monkeys if your getting my details for a direct debit on my doorstep. (and the fact I'm tight as - charity begins at home old boy)

Strangely people tend not to string me along, the lady claiming to be from Virgin offering a free upgrade if I just confirmed my password with her didn't stay on the line.

I often find laughing manically at their stupidity whilst pointing it out is another great way to wind them up.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast