+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Fake microsoft Caller Scam in General; My mother got one of these a week or so back. She's fairly IT literate so she knew what it ...

Thank Post
    My mother got one of these a week or so back. She's fairly IT literate so she knew what it was. She just put her husband, Ian, on the line.

Ian, for the record, is a Microsoft- and Cisco-certified owner of an IT consultancy firm. They didn't like learning that, so I'm told.
    @AMLightfoot, I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through that.. I did telesales for a day (literally, only a day, I quit because they asked us to outright lie to customers) and some of the abusive things that I overheard my colleagues say was disgusting. It's the anonymity problem.

Thank Post
    I told them I used red hat.. total call length, 8 seconds. Haven't had it again ^^

They called my grandmother once though, luckily my cousin was there who works in a local school, he just took the phone, listened for a few seconds and hung up. Fortunate really as she's the kind of person who'd really panic about this, though she knows if she has issues she calls one of us and doesn't listen to anyone on the phone / popups etc.

Thank Post
    Had one work colleague who fell victim to so called "Microsoft" last October. She stupidly let them have access to her PC remotely and then gave her bank card details (OMFG!) to them for the support work which would be "30". A day later when her bank balance was 200 lighter she realised her mistake!

She then had to go through the whole process of cancelling cards, asking the bank for refunds etc etc. She got it sorted but what a PITA.

And then, funnily enough, another member of staff spoke to me only yesterday about something very similar. She got called out of the blue on Wednesday night from somebody claiming they provided technical support for Virgin and TalkTalk. They needed to access her PC in order to sort some 'connection issues'. Yeah right. Anyway, she followed their instructions to give them access via TeamViewer and then after they had been doing something (no idea what) on her laptop for 10 minutes they said it was going to cost 39.99 for the work they did. At this point she cottoned on to the scam and hung up. I am now waiting for her to bring the laptop in to me so that I can give it the once over and see what backdoors/Trojans they have probably installed.

Gits

Thank Post
    i expect this to increase with xp support ending. I can see them phoning up and getting you to "upgrade" to windows 7/8 and then while they do that with a dodgy (or no) code nick all your data (or even just use some theme that makes it look like windows 7/8

Thank Post
    I tried telling them I was an IT professional, I tried telling him I didn't even HAVE a computer in the house - nothing stopped the tirade of abuse. The only way I could get it to stop was to have my number changed. I'm envious of those of you that got off so lightly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,883 Times in 1,399 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I sent am email around work so hopefully they will pay attention to it.

Thank Post
    @AMLightfoot, the abuse wasn't because they wanted to scam you give you tech support and you were smarter than that you weren't letting the man help you. It was because he's a scumbag and wanted to upset you. Once he'd decided to give you abuse (due to aforementioned scumbaggery) the fact that you weren't even in a position to facilitate his scam was unimportant.

Whilst your argument was reasonable (You can't 'tech-support' a non-existant pc) he clearly had no desire to reason with you, he just wanted to hurl abuse. In short, he was just a bitter looking to make someone - anyone - miserable. You just happened to be the person he picked (by the things you say he was saying, I assume that's because he feels as an Islamic male he's clearly superior to you) - funny, they never harass their 'equals' do they? It's no reflection against you. I'm sorry you had to go through it, but I'm glad it's over, and I hope you never have to deal with them again.

8. Thanks to Garacesh from:

AMLightfoot (24th January 2014)

Thank Post
    I have never been called by these so-called 'companies', but if I did, I would try and fit this in for my amusment:

Windows 2000

10. Thanks to the_one_that_cant from:

hardtailstar (24th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    hahaha, that is brilliant. Some of my family are geordies so will have to show them.

Thank Post
    My Nan got caught by these scumbag bar stewards, luckily she managed to get her money back and a new computer out of it too! although she did buy it her self lol

When ever they call my house, im always given the phone to take their calls. I always have a bit of fun with them, especially when they say my computer is affected! I have two computers and three laptops so its always a bit of fun getting them to tell me which one is affected then once they have 'worked out' which one it is, I always confuse they by putting 'buzz' words and words that don't make sense into a sentence.

Usually this all works to get them to hang up!

Some one should record their next call!!
    Last edited by hardtailstar; 24th January 2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Spelling fail

13. Thanks to hardtailstar from:

CESIL (24th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the_one_that_cant View Post
    I have never been called by these so-called 'companies', but if I did, I would try and fit this in for my amusment:

Windows 2000
    Oh god, I remember seeing that for the first time when I was around 14 or something. It was just as amusing back then, too

Thank Post
    When they called me saying they were from Microsoft, I told them "Oh, I work for Microsoft too, which office do you work in?" never heard a thing since.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    My boss had one of these calls, strung them along for a while until it got to the point where they wanted him to allow remote access.

"Ooh that's going to be tricky. I work for the secret service and I can't install software on my machine, let me put you through to our IT team"

Phone went dead pretty quickly apparently

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Anyone tried answering the phone in Welsh?

Bore da! Dw i'n CAM. Mae'n ddrwg gen i, dw i ddim yn deall chi. Ydych chi'n siarad Cymraeg? Dw i ddim yn siarad Saesneg, ydych chi'n siarad Cymraeg?!?!
    Nos da... *Click*

(Poorly translated with autocorrect interfering, not that the intent is for them to understand you anyway .... Good morning! I'm CAM. I'm sorry, I don't understand you. Do you speak Welsh? I don't speak English, do you speak Welsh?!?! Good night...)
    Last edited by CAM; 24th January 2014 at 02:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,883 Times in 1,399 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I stand by my previous statements...Welsh is nothing but code!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast