+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Home server specification in General; Hi folks. Im hoping to build / buy a server for home that I can host for online games. These ...
    Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post

Home server specification

Hi folks.

Im hoping to build / buy a server for home that I can host for online games.
    These games include:-
    -7daystodie
    -dayz
    -minecraft
    -castlestory

I was wondering if anyone has any experience in this field? Im thinking along the lines of a xeon processor and 16gb of ram. Unsure...... help? I have a 75down and 15up fibre connection.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    Im hoping to build / buy a server for home that I can host for online games.
    The HP Micro Server seems to be most people's home server of choice - affordable, quite exapandable and very capable for its size. The newest version even has ILO capabilities included on the network card (I think you need to buy a license to enable it, worth checking). I'm not sure how much noise they put out these days - I imagine they aren't the loudest of servers, but might be worth checking if you're planning on having this in your front room or something.

Thank Post
    I was thinking more round the like of dell poweredge? Or the tower versions?

The hp micros dont stack a big punch ie ram or processor. Budget is 500 quid.

Thank Post
    Have you looked at the i3 or i5 NUCs? You won't get raid or anything, but if all you care about is grunt they might do the job.

5. Thanks to pete from:

Sunnyknight (23rd January 2014)

Thank Post
    I was thinking more round the like of dell poweredge? Or the tower versions?
    We used the Dell PowerEdge tower servers (T100 series, I think) at my last school, 5 years or so ago - they were good machines, quiet enough to be placed in the corner of a classroom. I see Dell now do the PowerEdge T110 II, which looks like the latest model in the series. You can specify the RAM and processor your want. They also do the PwerEdge T20, which looks like their answer to the HP Miniserver, but (by the looks of it) capable of taking a few more drives and expansion slots. Again, you can specify the RAM and processor you want right from Dell's website. The T100 series servers were certainly very good when I last used them, and the T1100 is currently on PC Pro's A-List so it looks as though the quality is still good a few years on.

7. Thanks to dhicks from:

Thank Post
    personally I have 2 servers running at home, 1 is a Dell PowerEdge III (cant remember the model off hand) and the other is a HP ProLiant DL385p Gen8 Server, The Dell server is running 2 FTB Minecraft servers though multicraft along with a few plugins to allow it to use multiple cores running with 2 dulecore AMD CPU's running at 3ghz.

The HP server is running with Vsphere hypervisor on it running 1 Ubuntu server and 1 Windows 2008 server, The Ubuntu server is running 8 Minecraft servers (housing 60-80 players at any time) the windows side is running a Dayz server, 7days to die server, No more room in hell, 2 TF2 servers and 2 Man vs Machine servers. it has 6 500gb drives running in raid 5 with a hot spare (due to the age of the server didn't trust the Hard drives but couldn't afford to replace them). The HP server was second hand brought from a user on edugeek. All these things run the cpu's at 75% across the board, uses roughly 28GB of ram (most of which is in the minecraft side).

If you like when I get home tonight ill pull the specs off for you.

9. Thanks to notalot from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by notalot View Post
    personally I have 2 servers running at home, 1 is a Dell PowerEdge III (cant remember the model off hand) and the other is a HP ProLiant DL385p Gen8 Server, The Dell server is running 2 FTB Minecraft servers though multicraft along with a few plugins to allow it to use multiple cores running with 2 dulecore AMD CPU's running at 3ghz.

The HP server is running with Vsphere hypervisor on it running 1 Ubuntu server and 1 Windows 2008 server, The Ubuntu server is running 8 Minecraft servers (housing 60-80 players at any time) the windows side is running a Dayz server, 7days to die server, No more room in hell, 2 TF2 servers and 2 Man vs Machine servers. it has 6 500gb drives running in raid 5 with a hot spare (due to the age of the server didn't trust the Hard drives but couldn't afford to replace them). The HP server was second hand brought from a user on edugeek. All these things run the cpu's at 75% across the board, uses roughly 28GB of ram (most of which is in the minecraft side).

If you like when I get home tonight ill pull the specs off for you.
    Im visiting you tonight. Lol

Yes please spec me up!
    @dhicks the dell t320 looks promising.... if I could get one second hand
    @pete spec meeeeer
    Last edited by Sunnyknight; 23rd January 2014 at 01:22 PM.

Thank Post
    You need to work out exactly how much CPU power you need to host those games. No point in buying a quad CPU monster if they would all run fine off a HP microserver?

Second hand HP DLxxx Gen 5 or 6? Should be able to pick up a dual CPU 24+GB ram couple of SAS drives jobbie for under £500.

Your electricity bill won't be pretty with one of those tho!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can you afford the extra £100-£200 a month electric bill this will bring with hosting all the time?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Can you afford the extra £100-£200 a month electric bill this will bring with hosting all the time?
    That seems a tad high - I have two servers running at home, and we haven't noticed a huge increase in electricity bills. If average electric costs in the UK are £0.172 per kWh, a server drawing a constant 100W (0.1kW) would cost:

£0.172 * 0.1kWh = £0.0172 per hour -> £0.0172 * 24 = £0.4128 per day -> £0.4128 * 30 = £12.384 per month (ish).

Edit: just done a quick check, seemingly the "average" server (maybe a 2U rackmount, probably with some disks in) consumes (maybe) 472W, which works out at around £60 per month using the pricing above. I'm guessing that figure is for something like you'd find in a data centre, running a constant load all day (being an always-on webserver or whatever), but Nephilim has a point - if people are going to be using your server all through the day and there's some kind of load on it, it is going to take some money in electricity.
    Last edited by dhicks; 23rd January 2014 at 03:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    typo...should have been £10-£20

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Unless you're using something which needs ECC RAM, using a Xeon in a single CPU configuration is pretty pointless. If I were you, I'd spec a mid-range i5 or i7 PC in a case with room for a decent amount of hard drives and just chuck a load of RAM in it.

IMO using server class hardware for something like this would be chucking money away for no good reason.

16. Thanks to Norphy from:

nephilim (23rd January 2014)

Thank Post
    from my days with CoD and CoD2 servers, it doesn't need to be THAT beefy as all heavy stuff is done on peoples PC's.... what are the dedi server specs for the games?? It IS a few years since my kids made time for me to turn my gaming PC on though

Thank Post
    @pete spec meeeeer
    I'm using one of these: NUC Core i3-3217U with 16GB and a mSATA SSD to host ~10 thin-provisioned vms in a ESXi lab setup. It's been running since I bought it (August 2013?) and it's barely idling.

Spec sheet here:Intel® NUC Kit DC3217IYE

Upside is it's quiet, tiny and doesn't suck a lot of power. Downside is there's no expansion unless you want to go all @dhicks with a mSATA > SATA breakout.

The newer versions support 2.5" drives.

Intel® NUC
    Last edited by pete; 23rd January 2014 at 04:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Downside is there's no expansion unless you want to go all @dhicks with a mSATA > SATA breakout.
    The original thread where me and Pete discuss this is here:

Amazon EC2

I bought one of Tranquil PC's NUC casings, which turns the NUC into a solid chunk of passivly-cooled computing power:

NUC

As described in that thread linked to above, I managed to bodge connecting 10 SATA drives via a mini-PCIe card and a couple of SATA expander cards - I wanted to try and see if I could create a Backblaze-style server for home use. It's not the cheapest way of going about setting up a home server - I live in a open-plan flat, and my girlfriend wouldn't stand for a rackmount server sat under the TV. If you don't mind a bit of fan noise (and those smaller Dell servers were very quiet in operation) then you can probably get something with a bit more expansion space for the same money.

If you do want silent and still want expansion space, I also have one of Tranquil PC's "media centre" machines that's been running as a server for good 3 years with no problems. Streacom now do very similar cases, some to fit larger motherboards, too, if you want to build your own and save a bit of money.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast