+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
General Chat Thread, The Michael Gove BETT Speech in General; Originally Posted by tmcd35 I'm pretty sure this was it (haven't re-read): https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ammes-of-study And, no, as I said above, although ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I'm pretty sure this was it (haven't re-read): https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ammes-of-study

And, no, as I said above, although it does mention other areas, it looks far too coding focused to my eyes. There seems to be a myth that teaching coding will teach how computer work, and this panders to that myth.
    There is loads besides programming listed in the Key Stage summary page:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ammes-of-study

Key Stage 1
    - use technology purposefully to create, organise, store, manipulate and retrieve digital content
    - recognise common uses of information technology beyond school
    - use technology safely and respectfully, keeping personal information private; identify where to go for help and support when they have concerns about content or contact on the internet or other online technologies

Key Stage 2
    - understand computer networks, including the internet; how they can provide multiple services, such as the World Wide Web, and the opportunities they offer for communication and collaboration
    - use search technologies effectively, appreciate how results are selected and ranked, and be discerning in evaluating digital content
    -select, use and combine a variety of software (including internet services) on a range of digital devices to design and create a range of programs, systems and content that accomplish given goals, including collecting, analysing, evaluating and presenting data and information
    - use technology safely, respectfully and responsibly; recognise acceptable/unacceptable behaviour; identify a range of ways to report concerns about content and contact

Key Stage 3
    - understand the hardware and software components that make up computer systems, and how they communicate with one another and with other systems
    - undertake creative projects that involve selecting, using, and combining multiple applications, preferably across a range of devices, to achieve challenging goals, including collecting and analysing data and meeting the needs of known users
    - create, reuse, revise and repurpose digital artefacts for a given audience, with attention to trustworthiness, design and usability
    - understand a range of ways to use technology safely, respectfully, responsibly and securely, including protecting their online identity and privacy; recognise inappropriate content, contact and conduct, and know how to report concerns

Key Stage 4
    All pupils must have the opportunity to study aspects of information technology and computer science at sufficient depth to allow them to progress to higher levels of study or to a professional career.

All pupils should be taught to:

- develop their capability, creativity and knowledge in computer science, digital media and information technology
    - develop and apply their analytic, problem-solving, design, and computational thinking skills
    - understand how changes in technology affect safety, including new ways to protect their online privacy and identity, and how to report a range of concerns
    That's just picking out the parts that have nothing to do with programming.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    That's just picking out the parts that have nothing to do with programming.
    I've never suggested non programming parts don't exist. The interesting thing is to read the detail and see how heavily weighted towards programming topics it is. But as I say, that's just me reading of it...
    Last edited by tmcd35; 23rd January 2014 at 04:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    On a different note, considering this is a debate I've had over on TES as well, what do we think about languages? The general feeling over there from the teachers seemed to be that Python ought to be sufficient to satisfy the demands of the new curriculum, which I'd agree with.

Anyone else? Should we need things like C++ for example?
    Python is an OK language but I'm not sure why it is getting so popular for schools (in the sense of why is it seen as _so_ appropriate for education). Personally I would pick Processing (which is essentially Java in a wrapper) for the immediacy of the visual feedback. That feedback is what engages students - their sense of control over the machine. Processing also shares a lot in common with the Aurduino IDE - which is probably the easiest, cheapest entry into real time control of simple real world devices - motors, lights, sensors; robots. Again this feedback - students just seeing their program flash a light or make a 'toy' move, can awaken imagination and interest, both key elements which develop passion. I think that's pretty important because programming is about being able to manipulate the world, bend 'things' to your will. Most technology now and in the future is some pretty dumb electronics and ever more software. Even the veritable 555 timer chip is subsumed into an 8 pin microprocessor. Software is king and software *IS* the product of programming. I want kids to learn program because that is the single most common interface that will lie between their imagination and their ability to make that real.

C++ I don't see as a language really suited to education other than where one needs to teach C++ (I'd hope that anyone who is in a position where they *need* to learn C++, is already proficient in several other languages).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TomCollins View Post
    it would be hard to get 5 year olds to start coding as there are children who can't understand the co-ordination of how moving their finger on the trackpad moves the mouse on the screen, and that there are children who have never even seen a computer before they started.
    Yes they can code but not maybe in the sense you think, I've taught them to program a series of steps using BeeBots to follow the path the Goldilocks house on a mat, record the steps in symbols on paper, hey presto they have produced their first algorithm! A series of defined steps to solve a problem. Its all possible, just a little lateral thinking is required.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456