+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Encrypt a USB Flash Drive in General; Hey Guys Do you know how to encrypt a USB flash drive, I've tried truecrypt and it just makes the ...

Thank Post

Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

Hey Guys

Do you know how to encrypt a USB flash drive, I've tried truecrypt and it just makes the drive unusable and windows asks you to format it? I need a way to encrypt the device so that it can be uncrypted on any machine without that programme having to be installed on that local computer. If you get what I mean!

Would really appreciate any help!

Alex

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Bitlocker to Go (Windows only) or TrueCrypt's Traveller Mode are probably your two best options.

Thank Post
    You can use TrueCrypt portable to decrypt on machines where TrueCrypt is not installed.

However, If there is a software restriction policy in place then this will need to allow the .exe to run also, otherwise no data. Apparently you also need to be a local admin to run TrueCrypt portable so may not be suitable for what you're looking for.

We have been using a batch of Kingston drives with encryption software pre-installed for a while here but still the problem of not being able to decrypt data in other schools. I think SkyDrive might be the best solution for us to do this going forward..

Thank Post
    Cheers guys for your help! Truecrypt won't work for us if you need any kind of Admin rights, I would have used Bitlocker but I can't as we only have Windows 7 Pro and not Windows 7 Ultimate so we don't have Bitlocker around the school which is frustrating. *Sigh* may have to ban memory sticks now!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    Cheers guys for your help! Truecrypt won't work for us if you need any kind of Admin rights, I would have used Bitlocker but I can't as we only have Windows 7 Pro and not Windows 7 Ultimate so we don't have Bitlocker around the school which is frustrating. *Sigh* may have to ban memory sticks now!
    Bitlocker portable should be OK with any version of Windows 7. The HDD encryption is only available with Enterprise / Ultimate.

Links: Enable BitLocker on USB Flash Drives to Protect Data

How to: BitLocker To Go Encrypts Portable Flash Drives in Windows 7

Compatibility: Read only in earlier versions of Windows. Nothing for Mac or Linux
    Last edited by jmak; 21st January 2014 at 11:24 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Non-Enterprise/Ultimate editions of Windows can read and write to Bitlocker encrypted flash drives so you would only need one PC running Enterprise/Ultimate to perform the initial encryption.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Non-Enterprise/Ultimate editions of Windows can read and write to Bitlocker encrypted flash drives so you would only need one PC running Enterprise/Ultimate to perform the initial encryption.
    My bad - incomplete information in my earlier post. You should be able to carry out the initial encryption using Server 2008 R2, although you have to install / enable the module. Just make sure you don't encrypt the whole server! An additional advantage of Bitlocker is that you can manage the recovery keys through AD and enforce it through GP.

8. Thanks to jmak from:

abillybob (21st January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thankyou problem resolved!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread