+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, LogMeIn Free shutting down January 21st 2014 in General; Something I'd really like to do, but I don't have the skill level... Also, buying CAL's and the time spent ...
    Thank Post
    Something I'd really like to do, but I don't have the skill level...

Also, buying CAL's and the time spent getting it all up and running versus something like LogMeIn for one or two users... is it even viable/worth it?

Kol.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koldov View Post
    Something I'd really like to do, but I don't have the skill level...

Also, buying CAL's and the time spent getting it all up and running versus something like LogMeIn for one or two users... is it even viable/worth it?

Kol.
    for 2 people imo no be easier to set up 2 win7/8 vms with fixed ip and some other remote software.

imo rdp isn't worth it for <10 probably <20

having said that the 1 I did wasn't hard granted I cheated and users need a local certificate and their host file altering but it works
    Last edited by sted; 22nd January 2014 at 01:35 PM.

Thank Post
    The hardest bit is getting a certificate.

1 request cert
    2 install cert
    3 install rds role
    4 install rds gateway
    5 install rds licensing service

Or something like that...

It takes me about 30mins or so and once its done is very reliable.

I will try and find time to put together a basic step by step.

4. 4 Thanks to edutech4schools:

Koldov (22nd January 2014), sonofsanta (22nd January 2014), speckytecky (27th January 2014), StevieM (22nd January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Chucking a new VM up won't take long (I assume it doesn't need much in the way of spec - single core, 2GB RAM?) and I can get the cert sorted as there's space for another SAN on our UCC cert, though that means reimporting it to the other web servers that use it. It's just the question of licensing really, as it may well be cheaper than LogMeIn.

Thank Post
    Two weeks ago, our bursar asked me if it would be possible for her to have access to SIMS/FMS from home. I said I would set up a free LogMeIn account for her. Fantastic.
    Last week, our head forwarded to me an email from the LEA advising that they would be introducing secure remote access later in the year as part of our SLA. Brilliant!
    Yesterday, I got the email from LogMeIn saying that the free service was being (had already been!) withdrawn. Oh, poo!

For the sake of simplicity, I'm tempted to pay the 29 for the first year but that would be rewarding them for the scandalous way they pulled the plug without ANY prior warning.
    Last edited by StevieM; 22nd January 2014 at 01:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Direct Access is relatively easy to configure. (if you already have a server 2012 anyway)

Server 2012 running DA (it has as wizard) a single external ipv4 address (yes it works behind a NAT now) with port 443 enabled.

A Windows 8 or 8.1 Enterprise PC (client)- From here you could RDP to the correct PC or install all the software they need and enjoy full access.

or use GoToMyPC and pay.

8. Thanks to chazzy2501 from:

speckytecky (27th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just going to throw Meraki into the list, this can do basic remoting via a website...also does more than LogMeIn
    Last edited by mmoseley; 22nd January 2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Added URL

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieM View Post
    Two weeks ago, our bursar asked me if it would be possible for her to have access to SIMS/FMS from home. I said I would set up a free LogMeIn account for her. Fantastic.
    Last week, our head forwarded to me an email from the LEA advising that they would be introducing secure remote access later in the year as part of our SLA. Brilliant!
    Yesterday, I got the email from LogMeIn saying that the free service was being (had already been!) withdrawn. Oh, poo!

For the sake of simplicity, I'm tempted to pay the 29 for the first year but that would be rewarding them for the scandalous way they pulled the plug without ANY prior warning.
    Take a look at centrastage. But it kinda assumes that the person connecting is the Tecchie and not an end user. Still free though for 5 managed stations (unattended connection) and 100s of attended connections.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    Direct Access is relatively easy to configure. (if you already have a server 2012 anyway)

Server 2012 running DA (it has as wizard) a single external ipv4 address (yes it works behind a NAT now) with port 443 enabled.

A Windows 8 or 8.1 Enterprise PC (client)- From here you could RDP to the correct PC or install all the software they need and enjoy full access.

or use GoToMyPC and pay.
    you say that about dive spent i dont know how long tearing my hair out with that it just hates me

Thank Post
    This is a pain... but they are a business. Over the last couple of years I've met lots of people who use LogMeIn but I've only ever met one person who was paying for it.

I think we will probably buy into it for a year but spend the next year looking for an alternative. At the moment with a 50% price reduction I can just about swing it with finance. I doubt I'll be able to do that next year when the price doubles.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnPugwash View Post
    This is a pain... but they are a business. Over the last couple of years I've met lots of people who use LogMeIn but I've only ever met one person who was paying for it.
    Totally agree. However, I think the main complaint is the fact that they sent out the email telling people that they were stopping the free service on the day that they stopped it. No advance warning, it was just gone. If they had sent an email 2 months ago saying it was ending on 21 Jan, people would have had the option to either buy in before hand or find an alternative provider. I probably would have bought in then, but not now.

Thank Post
    I can see Teamviewer going the same way. Loads are going to jump to that program now and click "personal" and use it for free without giving it a moment's thought.

Thank Post
    We did pay for Logmein Pro - we actually have a mixture of free and pro accounts, managed through Logmein Central. Having just checked my account, apparently Central customers are not affected by this change, and I am still able to deploy free clients if I want to.

Thank Post
    Of course they weren't going to give much notice... They didn't want to give anybody time to research an alternative! Good job we have EDUGEEK to advise us eh?

Teamviewer already have a cheeky FAQ on what people need to do to move from LogMeIn Free lol!

Yeah, sure it's a business and they have obviously reached a point where they have captured enough market share to cash in on making it pay only, I too wonder where the likes of Teamviewer, AVG and such will eventually go.

In the LogMeIn statement they have said that the 'free' version was only seen to be used by 'home users' accessing files at home and that those users now utilise the vast array of cloud storage options. Therefore in their business model they will not see any continuing profit or return from free users converting to paid. Guess they didn't consider all the 'home user' IT bods using it for remote support to friends and family, not that any 'home user' accessing a few files would need the 'pro' advantages...

Surely +95% of users would actually be tech savvy and would have actually been using for 'business' purposes and therefore should be paying for it?

I was a bit miffed with the limited notice period and all, but I can see the logic and I'm not entirely sure if I don't agree with them.

Kol.

Thank Post
    I just used LogMeIn to log into home and install Teamviewer.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast