+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, LogMeIn Free shutting down January 21st 2014 in General; ...

Thank Post
    We are using splashtop here. I have a personal account with remote access subscription that the school pays for (it's £1.22 a month) and works really well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    TightVNC does all this stuff for free, but it requires considerably more configuration than LogMeIn does. Rather than having a nice web front end etc, you have to manually start the session by entering IP address of the server you want to connect to. It does let you start a VNC session on an unattended machine which is already running TightVNC server, though, which is what most of you guys seem to want.
    Does that need a public IP for the unattended machine though? The simplicity of LogMeIn was that it worked through the NAT on the firewall without complication, and I don't want to start educating staff on "TightVNC into this server, then MSTSC into your machine..."

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Does that need a public IP for the unattended machine though? The simplicity of LogMeIn was that it worked through the NAT on the firewall without complication, and I don't want to start educating staff on "TightVNC into this server, then MSTSC into your machine..."
    Unfortunately yes. You can set which port it listens on though, so I guess you could do some funky port forwarding from one of your public-facing gateways for each user instead of having each workstation have a public IP. Like I said, it's more work than LogMeIn but it is 100% free even for commercial use.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    We are using splashtop here. I have a personal account with remote access subscription that the school pays for (it's £1.22 a month) and works really well.
    Unfortunately the Personal plan says "for individual non-commercial use", and the Terms of Service state "Splashtop Personal is for non-commercial use only*, i.e. use it to access your personal computers for non-work related purposes." The footnote there states "* This only applies to users who registered for a Splashtop Account after October 31, 2013. If You registered for Your Splashtop Account on or before October 31, 2013, you are free to use the Splashtop Personal service for commercial purposes, with the exception of Windows and Mac Splashtop client apps." - so whilst you might be alright, the rest of us won't

Thank Post
    I am quite disgusted they have given such short notice and on such a busy week with BETT happening. Although have also noticed Logmein has recently been downloading an EXE client to remote in, rather than being purely web based like before.

Has anyone here tried Centrastage and thoughts? Looks like it is £1 per machine and includes a remote support client and other tools. Only problem seems to be you need to install a client to access other clients and you cannot remote in through a web browser.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Windows VM + SSL Cert + publishing rule: What is a Remote Desktop Gateway server?

control level of access by user or machine groups, allow/disallow folder mounting. No extra client software needed for windows, options for linux/mac.

Honestly, we've got 3 that have NEVER required attention aside from cert renewal. Just works.

7. 2 Thanks to Domino:

sparkeh (21st January 2014), speckytecky (31st January 2014)

Thank Post
    I use team viewer to access al the servers (not the free version) and I have remote desktop gateway for all the staff.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CommodoreS View Post
    I am quite disgusted they have given such short notice and on such a busy week with BETT happening. Although have also noticed Logmein has recently been downloading an EXE client to remote in, rather than being purely web based like before.

Has anyone here tried Centrastage and thoughts? Looks like it is £1 per machine and includes a remote support client and other tools. Only problem seems to be you need to install a client to access other clients and you cannot remote in through a web browser.
    yes ive used centra stage lln blocked log me in at one bit so we moved to that and every one of our company hated it. As often as not your remote window would start postage stamp sized and iirc wasnt just go to a web page had to have client installed on both ends. Wouldnt recomend it. Just trying teamviewer and it seemed to work via ict4 leeds but just looked again its gone red and now back to green again hmmmmmmmm

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Windows VM + SSL Cert + publishing rule: What is a Remote Desktop Gateway server?

control level of access by user or machine groups, allow/disallow folder mounting. No extra client software needed for windows, options for linux/mac.

Honestly, we've got 3 that have NEVER required attention aside from cert renewal. Just works.
    Does that require CALs? Do you know if they're included in EES licensing, if so? We have a spare public IP and it's easy enough to chuck a VM up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes it does, as for the EES question I can't really help there - anyone else know?

12. Thanks to Domino from:

sonofsanta (21st January 2014)

Thank Post
    Remote Desktop CALs are not part of EES, but we purchased 100 a few years back when we setup our VPN and Terminal Services on Windows 2003 boxes, so as long as I use a work laptop I can connect in to the servers from home as it's covered for the windows CAL's via EES, and the RD CAL.
    All our servers have Remote Desktop enabled since it's easier to use it during the working day from the comfort of our own desk instead of standing in the noisy (and chilly at times) server room.

14. Thanks to Boredguy from:

sonofsanta (21st January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post

Thanks!

Just set this up in about 5 mins and it works brilliantly

16. Thanks to sparkeh from:

Domino (21st January 2014)

Thank Post
    Here's some free alternatives to LogMeIn, looks like TeamViewer is the best choice:

http://mdssolutions.co.uk/blog/3-free-alternatives-to-logmein.aspx

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    Here's some free alternatives to LogMeIn, looks like TeamViewer is the best choice:

http://mdssolutions.co.uk/blog/3-free-alternatives-to-logmein.aspx
    Repeat: Teamviewer is not free for schools!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Repeat: Teamviewer is not free for schools!
    Given how many times this has been mentioned - we should probably lock these threads??

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast