+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, God help us - UKIP councillor blames storms and floods on gay marriage.... in General; Originally Posted by E_G_R2 Does that make it normal though or just a behavior caused by other environmental pressures? It ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 853 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by E_G_R2 View Post
    Does that make it normal though or just a behavior caused by other environmental pressures?
    It makes it remarkably bloody tenacious given that on the face of it, it shouldn't be passed down and should be selected against. But as @gmonks says, it's evident in a great many species, so there's obviously some reason it keeps cropping up. I'll not theorise so I don't offend.

My favourite response to "the Bible says it's wrong, we must follow the word of God" is this classic rebuttal:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/drlaura.asp
    Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev 24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

2. 14 Thanks to sonofsanta:

3s-gtech (20th January 2014), achedgy (20th January 2014), Arcath (20th January 2014), CHR1S (20th January 2014), FishCustard (20th January 2014), Gatt (20th January 2014), gmonks (20th January 2014), Greenbeast (20th January 2014), Hefferzzzz (20th January 2014), LosOjos (20th January 2014), pcstru (20th January 2014), Rawns (20th January 2014), sparkeh (20th January 2014), synaesthesia (20th January 2014)

Thank Post
    You can still shoot Welsh People with Arrows after dark in Cheshire as well?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    This doesn't actually say that gays should be put to death, it says that men who have sexual intercourse with other men should be put to death. Do you need to have sex to have a healthy relationship? Christians would largely have you believe that no, you don't.
    I don't think it's possible to say "Christians believe that". There is a vast range of belief, some of it mutually exclusive yet people with those mutually exclusive beliefs will call themselves Christians. It's always interesting when you get two of them together in the same room.
    That being said, hypocrisy from christianity is hardly suprising.
    While I know what you mean, I think it is important to recognise that it is people who retain the capability for hypocrisy, not abstract things like 'religion'. That might seem pedantic but as a recently ordained Pastafarian minister, I think it's quite important. The paradox (and irony) at the core of the issue is perhaps summed up by the question "should I be tolerant of intolerance?".

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can still shoot Welsh People with Arrows after dark in Cheshire as well?
    Urban myth I'm afraid.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    So, who do we have to hate to get some snow around here??
    IIRC, Ginger dwarves [the mining variety]

There's a list. It's how these people know exactly who to blame for each natural disaster.

7. Thanks to X-13 from:

CHR1S (20th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    Urban myth I'm afraid.
    Trouble is, it is illegal to have an offensive weapon... Bit of a shame really.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    Urban myth I'm afraid.
    You've just ruined my day, was going to nip out tonight with a sheep, bow and quiver of arrows

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Trouble is, it is illegal to have an offensive weapon... Bit of a shame really.
    At what point does a weapon become offensive? To that end, at what point does it become a weapon?

Thinking their are a few UKIP/BNP councillors we could have arrested for carrying their offensive weapons around with them - their gobs!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    At what point does a weapon become offensive? To that end, at what point does it become a weapon?
    Everything is a weapon.

If you can't weaponize something, you aren't trying hard enough.

Thank Post
    Any object can be turned into a weapon.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You've just ruined my day, was going to nip out tonight with a sheep, bow and quiver of arrows
    Probably best not to say that out loud. You'll be the first suspect now of some nut decided to go and cleanse the area of Welsh people.

Thank Post
    I've got an alabi, was out walking my sheep

15. Thanks to E_G_R2 from:

CHR1S (20th January 2014)

Thank Post
    I've got an alabi, was out walking my sheep
    And you are Manchesters number one Robin Hood impersonator too... right?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    And you are Manchesters number one Robin Hood impersonator too... right?
    Indeed he is.

He steals from the rich to give to the needy. He takes a wee percentage, but he's not greedy.
    Last edited by X-13; 20th January 2014 at 12:06 PM.

Thank Post
    And I wear Green Tights

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast