+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Do I or Dont I? Breadmakers....... in General; Hi all, I am thinking of getting a breadmaker. I have a couple of questions for people who have them: ...
    Thank Post

Question Do I or Dont I? Breadmakers.......

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a breadmaker. I have a couple of questions for people who have them:

a)Are they cheaper in the long run than buying bread?
    b)How long do you take to make bread, as in loading the machine?
    c)Anything else I should watch for
    d)Any other comments

Thanks
    Harry

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Go for it - we have a Kenwood. As well as bread you can make pasta dough and jam in it.

Takes a couple of minutes to prepare the ingredients and set it off.

Has paid for itself many times over. We use it every other day.

Thank Post
    a - probably. I guess a loaf costs about 30-60p (depending on the type of flour), but it's so much nicer than bought bread.
    b - not even 1 min. Stick the tin on the scales and pour in water; reset scales and pour in flour; then put in some yeast. Put tin in machine and set timer for the morning.
    c - Some machines have funny shaped tins which result in funny shaped slices of bread.
    d - get one! There's nothing like coming down to the smell of fresh bread in the morning.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Our Kenwood is a couple of years old now.

Here's the latest version:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-BM45...ood+breadmaker

And watch out - a common mistake is losing the paddle - that mixes the dough. It is embedded in the loaf when you take it out. Amazon do sell spares for the Kenwood though.

5. Thanks to tech_guy from:

dhicks (18th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hawc View Post
    a)Are they cheaper in the long run than buying bread?
    Not sure - the flour is probably cheaper (and you can get all-in-one breadmaker flour from Sainsbury's these days), I'm not sure how much the electricity costs. I'd have a vauge guess at about the same, maybe a bit less.

b)How long do you take to make bread, as in loading the machine?
    A few minutes - you just turf everything in and press "go". You can set a timer, too, so you can load the machine up the night before or whenever and have it cook your bread at the best time. The bread that comes out of a breadmaker doesn't last very long at all - it's best eaten the same day, next day at most. If your household isn't going to get through a loaf of bread per day or two you might end up wasting a bit. It might take some practice to get the exact mix you prefer, and getting bread that cuts properly into nice slices might take a bit of tinkering with ingredients. Most people seem to use the breadmaker for making bread to cut into chunks for eating with soup or whatever, you don't see it so much made in to sandwiches. I guess it's a habbit to get into - remembering to load and set up the breadmaker (which doesn't take long).

The humble breadmaker strikes me as the next thing due for a "smart" makeover, after the thermostat and the smoke alarm. Google and Apple are probably both working on versions now...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    And watch out - a common mistake is losing the paddle - that mixes the dough. It is embedded in the loaf when you take it out. Amazon do sell spares for the Kenwood though.
    Good point - it might be worth getting spares (or even two breadmakers) to start with, then you can be washing one set while the other is being used. Also worth pointing out that they do take a bit of kitchen worktop space - if you have it packed away somewhere, you'll never bother getting it out to use, it needs to be sat ready for you to use.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't know what the current Russell Hobbs range is like but our first machine was one of theirs and it lasted 9 months before it died. Hence the Kenwood - expensive at twice the price - but still going strong after two years.
    Last edited by tech_guy; 18th January 2014 at 06:20 PM.

Thank Post
    I suffer somewhat of a gut reaction to bread. I'd just put it down to "one of those things" and I like bread too much to give it up. My new lady has a bread maker, and it doesn't affect me anything like so much. A bit of research shows that shop bought bread is baked with someone' process. They use an accelerated proving, that seems to cause me lots of bubbles.

a) We worked out that the bread is marginally cheaper (but you won't pay for the maker) but MUCH nicer. We do 1/3 white to 2/3 wholemeal.
    b) Minutes. Check the beater is in the pan! Pan on the scales, 200g white flour, 400g whole meal, teaspoon yeast, tablespoon sugar, grind salt, THEN add 2 glugs olive oil, and 430ml water.
    c) The beater still being on the bench when all the gloop is in the pan. We have bought a Panasonic after a bit of grief with an admittedly second-hand cheap one.
    d) Go for it; for the taste alone.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    I suffer somewhat of a gut reaction to bread. I'd just put it down to "one of those things" and I like bread too much to give it up. My new lady has a bread maker, and it doesn't affect me anything like so much. A bit of research shows that shop bought bread is baked with someone' process. They use an accelerated proving, that seems to cause me lots of bubbles.

a) We worked out that the bread is marginally cheaper (but you won't pay for the maker) but MUCH nicer. We do 1/3 white to 2/3 wholemeal.
    b) Minutes. Check the beater is in the pan! Pan on the scales, 200g white flour, 400g whole meal, teaspoon yeast, tablespoon sugar, grind salt, THEN add 2 glugs olive oil, and 430ml water.
    c) The beater still being on the bench when all the gloop is in the pan. We have bought a Panasonic after a bit of grief with an admittedly second-hand cheap one.
    d) Go for it; for the taste alone.
    Sounds like you might have either a wheat allergy or gluten intolerance.

I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance in the summer. A pita to begin with but now I'm so much better - no bloating, headaches, joint/muscle pain or irritability. Gluten free since July last year and it's going well. Easy to replace gluten containing stuff with alternatives. We use gluten free flour, pasta, etc.

Many people go undiagnosed regarding wheat allergy / gluten intolerance. Severe gluten intolerance can lead to damage of the small intestine.

Might be worth getting checked out.
    Last edited by tech_guy; 18th January 2014 at 06:42 PM.

Thank Post
    It takes around three hours in the one we have, which we've had for some years. It makes a lovely smell in the kitchen.

Thank Post
    Not bad enough to suffer the gluten free stuff. As I said, SO much better with proper "proved" bread.

3 or 5 hour cycle for whole-wheat.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Shop bought bread does have so much crap in it.

Thank Post
    Alright. I feel a trip to Argos coming on tomorrow.

Thank Post
    I used to set mine up in the morning and set the timer so that it finished just as I got home from work. Unfortunately after a few years of use mine has suffered from spindle failure* (the bit that holds the paddle). It still works well but I can't leave it full of ingredients all day anymore as it will leak. I now surround the spindle with marg before I put the water in, shove in the ingredients and put it on straight away. Mine does a dough cycle (doesn't cook it at the end) so often I use that and turn out the dough, shape it and cook the bread in the oven when I have it on for other stuff.

We have a flour mill close by so there is no shortage of different kinds of flour to try - I never bake the same kind of loaf twice in a row.

*Spindle failure is not uncommon - you can buy a new pan but they are almost the same price as a new machine.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast