+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Do I or Dont I? Breadmakers....... in General; Originally Posted by SYNACK Coeliac disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is getting more and more common Have you tried ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Have you tried spelt flour - its supposed to be gentler on the stomach - makes a lovely loaf too

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hemp seed (crush it first to release the oil, then grind the seedcake into a flour) makes the best bread I have ever had.

Thank Post
    Bread machines are great, I have one, but honestly I wouldn't use it to bake as the loaf comes out very dense. Also, little tip, add all the liquid ingredients first otherwise you don't get a good mix.

Personally I use mine to just prove and knead but to get a good rise I always need a second proving. It's good to set up and let it prove and knead while you do your own thing though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So been using mine a while now. Tried different recipes. I accept that it does go 'off' quicker than shop bought as doesn't have preservatives in. However I find that it is hot and miss getting it to fully rise, or ending up with a massive hole in the top half!!! Taste is great (although it does need butter not oil otherwise find it very corse). It also breaks up very easy.

Any tips? Or better yet exact recipes for soft yet strong (white) bread?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For a soft white bread, if you bake in the oven, add a full tray of ice cubes or very cold water to the bottom of the oven and put it in when you start the bread. It steams up eventually and makes the crust soft as it develops. You do not want to put warm or hot water in as it will steam up too soon and make the bread soggy.

In a bread machine, not a clue!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    Have you tried spelt flour - its supposed to be gentler on the stomach - makes a lovely loaf too
    I made some of my own (a local farmer grows spelt near me). Picked up a 10kg bag of spelt grains for £20. Crushed it first to see if there was any oil worth having (there isn't, it burns at too low a temperature). I ground up the remaining and got around 7kg of good flour out of it (the rest of the weight were the husks, which I ground up to add crunch in my loaves).

It is gentler on my stomach, but it still has a reasonable gluten content. I shall be using this flour for thickening sauces (as it is better than cornflour and adds a very good taste), and using it half and half with my hemp flour for my loaves.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,381 Times in 1,676 Posts
    I wouldnt waste spelt in bread - it make a lovely basis for vegetarian meals.

Thank Post
    Yeah - though I read recently that the demand for spelt was so great now that the price had doubled

Spelt flour 'wonder grain' set for a price hike as supplies run low | Money | The Guardian

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    Yeah - though I read recently that the demand for spelt was so great now that the price had doubled

Spelt flour 'wonder grain' set for a price hike as supplies run low | Money | The Guardian
    there is a shortage. A health food store I know has just got some in, and that warranted an announcement. Dove's Farm has none in stack.

PANIC!!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Good thing I try to deal directly with the source rather than the shops where possible. Demand has gone up but he isn't seeing the increase that the shops are putting on. I paid more per KG than he sells to shops, but I don't mind, as I still got it cheaper than if I were to go to the shops.

Will also speak to him about rapeseed as well when that gets harvested so I can make my own oil as well!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    So been using mine a while now. Tried different recipes. I accept that it does go 'off' quicker than shop bought as doesn't have preservatives in. However I find that it is hot and miss getting it to fully rise, or ending up with a massive hole in the top half!!! Taste is great (although it does need butter not oil otherwise find it very corse). It also breaks up very easy.

Any tips? Or better yet exact recipes for soft yet strong (white) bread?
    1 tsp fast acting yeast
    600g Strong Bread Flour
    1tblsp Milk Powder
    1tsb Salt
    1tblsp Sugar
    25g butter
    400ml Water

My breadmaker disagrees with @AMLightfoot and says to put the ingredients in in the order listed. That may be more important if the machine is programmed to delay the start, since you don't really want the yeast activating and breeding 5 hours before it starts to mix.

I generally get the machine to make the dough, decant into loaf tins and let it rise for an hour before putting them in the oven for 30 mins @ ~200c (fan oven).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    1 tsp fast acting yeast
    600g Strong Bread Flour
    1tblsp Milk Powder
    1tsb Salt
    1tblsp Sugar
    25g butter
    400ml Water

My breadmaker disagrees with @AMLightfoot and says to put the ingredients in in the order listed. That may be more important if the machine is programmed to delay the start, since you don't really want the yeast activating and breeding 5 hours before it starts to mix.

I generally get the machine to make the dough, decant into loaf tins and let it rise for an hour before putting them in the oven for 30 mins @ ~200c (fan oven).
    See mine says the same thing but lists the ingredients liquids first. Perhaps it varies by machine. Honestly I just use mine for the messy mixing and first kneading process. Once it's proved once I usually take it out and give it a bit more bashing to improve the gluten strand formation then let it second prove.

Thank Post
    I stopped using the dried milk powder and the sugar, and didn't have any problems, even think it tastes a bit nicer - not so sweet

Thank Post
    Aldi have bread makers from 29th May. At £30, that's a good price? https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuy...bread-maker-1/

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yer pretty good mine was 40 quid

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast