+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Do I or Dont I? Breadmakers....... in General; Not only that, the breadmaker can mix and prove the dough rather well. The mrs makes bread with the breadmaker, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not only that, the breadmaker can mix and prove the dough rather well. The mrs makes bread with the breadmaker, I used too, but I enjoy by hand now. There isn't much difference between our loaves except for shape and size.

Thank Post
    Just purchased the Cook works one. Got it home and have greased it and letting it bake for 10 mins

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    Possibly a controversial question but why bother with the bread maker? Making your own bread isn't hard and I would think its a lot more satisfying to do something with your own hands than it is to put something into a machine and pressing a button.
    It isn't hard but it does take some time and it can be a bit messy. It's also the kind of thing you do time and time and time again in exactly the same way. That might qualify it as 'therapeutic' or boring, depending on your mood.

I'd rather put the time into what goes with the bread. This week I made some grapefruit marmalade for the first time - something I didn't realise was quite so easy :

2 large or 3 smaller Grapefruits.
    1 Kg Preserving Sugar (for high pectin fruits - if you have a choice)
    Juice of 2 lemons.

Put fruit in a pan, cover with water and boil for 2 hours, until the fruit is soft (it sort of implodes). Drain, Chop fruit into your desired consistency removing any pips, return to pan, add sugar and lemon juice and boil for 15 mins stirring often. Check for set point by putting a spoonful on a cold plate, it should sort of crease when you poke it.

Thank Post
    The first loaf has been on the go for the past 1 hour. We will get the final result in about 3 more hours

Thank Post
    We have a Panasonic breadmaker. It has a 'quick' recipe for a white loaf in 2 hours. We haven't bought a loaf in more than 10 years. My wife uses it at Christmas to make the dough for Panettone, my favourite bread.

It is so easy to use even I can make a loaf

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    It isn't hard but it does take some time and it can be a bit messy. It's also the kind of thing you do time and time and time again in exactly the same way. That might qualify it as 'therapeutic' or boring, depending on your mood.

I'd rather put the time into what goes with the bread. This week I made some grapefruit marmalade for the first time - something I didn't realise was quite so easy :

2 large or 3 smaller Grapefruits.
    1 Kg Preserving Sugar (for high pectin fruits - if you have a choice)
    Juice of 2 lemons.

Put fruit in a pan, cover with water and boil for 2 hours, until the fruit is soft (it sort of implodes). Drain, Chop fruit into your desired consistency removing any pips, return to pan, add sugar and lemon juice and boil for 15 mins stirring often. Check for set point by putting a spoonful on a cold plate, it should sort of crease when you poke it.
    Funny - just been doing Marmalade here today - so the house smells strongly of oranges - love it!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Trying this at home but without a breadmaker, all by tin and spoon! Unfortunately this has the side effect of the loaf of bread somehow transforming during the cooking process into a nice tasty cake.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I made a loaf this Saturday, still good today. Probably at the extreme end of its use though. Whatever isn't used by 6ish will be added to the frozen ends of my bread, which I will probably make into breadcrumbs this weekend.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hawc View Post
    The first loaf has been on the go for the past 1 hour. We will get the final result in about 3 more hours
    @hawc How did it go?!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    We have a Panasonic breadmaker. It has a 'quick' recipe for a white loaf in 2 hours. We haven't bought a loaf in more than 10 years. My wife uses it at Christmas to make the dough for Panettone, my favourite bread.

It is so easy to use even I can make a loaf
    i find the quick mode bread less nice than the full 4 and a bit program how do you find it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    i find the quick mode bread less nice than the full 4 and a bit program how do you find it?
    The 3 hour whole wheat is OK, difficult to tell apart from the 5, really.

rad
    Thank Post
    MiL has a Lakeland jobbie, was over £100 but the bread is so good it doesnt last that long, it gets eaten!

Thank Post
    It was fab! I picked up a packet mix today and it produced a dry hard brick. Make it using flour and yest etc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hawc View Post
    It was fab! I picked up a packet mix today and it produced a dry hard brick. Make it using flour and yest etc
    I find the packet mix is best made using the Pizza mode and then proving and cooking in the oven.

When its past its best - it still makes cracking toast and even better bread & butter pudding - yum!

Thank Post
    Hi,

I've had bread makers for many years but have recently taken to making bread fully by hand. It doesn't take that long and it's very therapeutic. It does create a bit of a mess though

Bread makers are a great way of making good tasting bread and you know exactly what's in it. Don't just stick with the booklet that comes with it though - get a decent bread making book. I've made just about every type of loaf in mine including a rather spectacular malt loaf.

If you like a cheesy loaf throw a handful of grated cheese in the mix on the first beep (do they all do this?). Add some near the end of the cycle for a cheese topping.

Enjoy

HBJB

The only annoying thing about bread makers is the hole left by the paddle(s)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast