+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Do I or Dont I? Breadmakers....... in General; I make it without (more work obviously, but is also more rewarding IMO). Anything not used is frozen, when I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I make it without (more work obviously, but is also more rewarding IMO). Anything not used is frozen, when I have enough, tear/break it up, put in a low oven for a few hours (80C ish), dry out for 4 hours. Wait until cooled, et voila, croutons or grind into breadcrumbs. They store in a cool larder for around 6 months.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    My Panasonic breadmaker has been going for years with regular use. I love it. I usually make to a 60-40 mix wholemeal-white flour (ish).

I also use the pizza dough setting frequently. It only takes 45 minutes and the dough is good for more than pizza

Thank Post
    got a Panasonic sd-2501. time a few mins to chuck stuff in pan. i usually load it up at night and set a timer so i wake up to fresh bread. you wont save cash no. the main problem i have is its a pita cutting it thin enough for sarnies so i just tend to eat buttered doorstops so can eat a loaf in a day as they go "bad" fairly quick and test best straight from the machine while almost too hot to eat. mums a celiac so has been doing gluten free bed in her breadmaker for years. tastes different not bad but gluten free bread needs to be eaten straight from the machine it tastes much better than when its cold. best thing though is fiddling with the recipe just to see what happens for instance ive had good results switching water for apple juice

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    i have is its a pita cutting it thin enough for sarnies s
    We do a loaf a day, but try to get it cooked the night before. That way you can slice it fairly thin. But true, it doesn't keep.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Best maker I have used is a cheapo cookworks one from Argos.
    Wouldn't change from making our own bread now, as said above, shop bread is made using an accelerated proving process which gives tasteless bread which is compensated for with sugar, salt etc.

There's nothing like homemade bread, if you have the time, make it by hand, it's even better... Gonna have some bread now, yum.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Best maker I have used is a cheapo cookworks one from Argos.
    Wouldn't change from making our own bread now, as said above, shop bread is made using an accelerated proving process which gives tasteless bread which is compensated for with sugar, salt etc.

There's nothing like homemade bread, if you have the time, make it by hand, it's even better... Gonna have some bread now, yum.
    I am deeply thinking about that Cookworks one

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,823 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    I suffer somewhat of a gut reaction to bread. I'd just put it down to "one of those things" and I like bread too much to give it up. My new lady has a bread maker, and it doesn't affect me anything like so much. A bit of research shows that shop bought bread is baked with someone' process. They use an accelerated proving, that seems to cause me lots of bubbles.
    @Andrew_C It is the Chorleywood process, and what it does is accelerate the fermentation which means that the yeast doesn't really get "used" and goes on fermenting which is why you get this issue with shop bread. If you buy proper "artisan" bread from a real baker that should be OK as well.

I have a breadmaker but I don't use it too often because I LOVE bread and it is fatal to have new bread in the house
    Last edited by witch; 18th January 2014 at 10:26 PM.

Thank Post
    I bought my Dad one a few years ago, was either a Kenwood or Russell Hobbs from a factory shop, uses still to this day a few times a week. The bread is soo much nicer, sure he worked it out as been far cheaper than shop bread, still get through a few loaves a week of normal shop stuff but must do 2 or 3 in the maker each week too.

Thank Post
    So that's a "Yes" then - I've got a Panasonic and its really good (makes better bread than most others I've seen) and is used pretty much every other day.

If you're making white bread - I'd recommend Lidl's bread flour - its only 78p for 1.5kg - enough for 3 large loaves
    I'd also recommend getting a big bag of Fermipan yeast - our local health sells it at about £3 a bag - put a little in a jar for using and the rest in the freezer - it lasts ages and is much cheaper than the little sachets

My everyday recipe is

500g flour
    1tsp yeast
    big glug of oil
    350ml water

Bear in mind that once its cooked - it needs an hour or two to cool before you can use it - so unless you get up very early - you can't have fresh bread for breakfast

I'd say get an electric bread knife too - they make cutting it a LOT easier

Let us know how you get on

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    Bear in mind that once its cooked - it needs an hour or two to cool before you can use it - so unless you get up very early - you can't have fresh bread for breakfast

Let us know how you get on
    no it dosent i eat it straight from the machine tip onto plate cut and eat

Thank Post
    I was always told that eating hot bread was not good for the tummy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    no it dosent i eat it straight from the machine tip onto plate cut and eat
    Each to their own - personally I find it very moist & squidgy until its cooled a bit - and I can't cut it neatly enough to make a sandwich

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hawc View Post
    Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a breadmaker. I have a couple of questions for people who have them:
    a)Are they cheaper in the long run than buying bread? I think that depends on how you use them and what kind of bread you buy. You are unlikely to be able to produce bread as cheaply as the basic 50p plastic-sliced-supermarket-loaf, which is a plus! You will be able to produce bread as good as an artisan loaf for less than you would pay in a shop.

b)How long do you take to make bread, as in loading the machine? A few minutes to measure the ingredients. Usually I finish the loaf off in an oven which takes a few more minutes - I like torpedo cibata loaves rather than bricks.

d)Any other comments. How big is your kitchen? Before I moved a couple of years ago, I used mine frequently. I think I've used it once or twice since moving, simply because the kitchen is so pushed for space. Fortunately that is now changing, but it's one of those things that needs to live on a worktop, not in a cupboard (IMO). Also, it's good to deviate from the programs particularly in allowing dough to prove. The machines tend to give it a few hours at most but you can get much better texture if you leave it longer.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Possibly a controversial question but why bother with the bread maker? Making your own bread isn't hard and I would think its a lot more satisfying to do something with your own hands than it is to put something into a machine and pressing a button.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    Possibly a controversial question but why bother with the bread maker? Making your own bread isn't hard and I would think its a lot more satisfying to do something with your own hands than it is to put something into a machine and pressing a button.
    Because the bread maker is willing to start earlier than I am to provide fresh bread for breakfast

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast