+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, IT Technician Apprentice - Anyone use them? Been one? Recommended? in General; Hello We are looking at options for extra staffing and one of the options is to get an apprentice in. ...

Thank Post

IT Technician Apprentice - Anyone use them? Been one? Recommended?

Hello

We are looking at options for extra staffing and one of the options is to get an apprentice in. I don't have any experience with how it works really. I was wondering how many schools have had apprentices and what you thought of the whole scheme? Worth it? Do they need time off for college within the working week?

If you have been an apprentice how did it work for you?

It is basically an apprentice full week or a part time (2-3 days) technician (If there would be much interest, wasn't a great turn out for the last full time role we offered)

Any information, advice and experience would be really useful thanks.

Thank Post
    I was one. Mine consisted of several months of training and getting qualifications and then 6 months full time in the school.

I now see a few apprentices in the schools I visit and they either do 1 or 2 days a week in college and work the rest, or work full time at the school and college will let them/the school know when they need to see the apprentice.

Jack

3. Thanks to JackCPickup from:

tj2419 (16th January 2014)

Thank Post
    I am Currently an apprentice and i work full time aswell as doing the work. i work 371/2 hours. im on 4.68 which is good

5. Thanks to JJames from:

Thank Post
    I have one working with me, one day a week for free

It's quite hard to find things for him to do without giving him any passwords but he keeps coming back

Thank Post
    Thanks guys. JJames If you don't mind me asking how long is your contract with your school?

Thank Post
    At our school, there is me, a senior technician and 2 placement students from the university. The school has been doing this for about 10 years and has a good relationship with the university.

1 of the placement students is in charge of managing our website but there is time for them to do IT Support as well. Works out well for us and we have them full time (37.5 hours per week) for 48 weeks of the year.

Thank Post
    1 year but hopefully keeping the job after.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    I have one working with me, one day a week for free

It's quite hard to find things for him to do without giving him any passwords but he keeps coming back
    LastPass enterprise allows you to share website logins without revealing passwords. This might give your guy more to do.
    Last edited by Demarcation; 16th January 2014 at 03:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 758 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JJames View Post
    i work 371/2 hours.
    that's a weird way to say 185.5 hours...

Thank Post
    having been an apprentice myself I can honestly say it gave me the platform I needed I was given the opportunity of real world experience and become an expert in my field with first rate training, willingness to learn and combined focus I am now a fully qualified Microsoft MCSA.

It really depends on the person though as other apprentices just haven't had the hunger that I had for one reason or another and have ended up getting their contracts terminated at the end of their course. If you are a good judge of character I recommend getting one.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    I had one, was an interesting idea, I was promised another TTO entry level technician but that turned into a free apprentice. It was great to have another pair of hands and the person was very keen and always happy to help however to say the idea was to reduce the workload IE reduce the existing techies workload so I could give them some off mine so I could actually work more the number of hours I was paid for rather than twice them. That never happened and the workload went up as we had to check what the apprentice was doing, train them as the course was good but not how we do things, so it didn't really help give more power to me which I needed to allow me to do some more management work and planning, documentation etc.. (all the jobs put to the back burner whilst sorting out priority things like dead PCs etc....).

If you get a good person who is very tech savy and have surplus capacity within your existing team I would think it could work but from my view I would be very wary if you realistically are working at full or nearly full capacity as a team.

I will add before anyone says how do people get a start etc... that is true and I was willing to give it a go but I don't think either party had a good experience in the situation I was involved in as both the existing team and the apprentice found it hard and got incredibly frustrated by the situation we were put in by the SLT who saw an offer of free hands over paid for hands which in my situation was what was really required.

14. Thanks to john from:

Thank Post
    I was one, 1 year contract doing CompTIA A+ on the side. Passed A+ and got a full time technician position out of it. I now support a high school with another technician and network manager and I also support a local primary school by myself for 2 half days a week.

Basically, best decision of my life, now I'm working towards a Windows 7 Microsoft exam 70-680 if memory serves me correctly.

Thank Post
    We employed an apprentice who was taking a Customer Service qualification and sat them on the helpdesk. We've had three so far, one of whom is now a network manager at a small school, and another who left us to go to university. He recently graduated with a degree in web development. The third is now working for PC World tech support, but they can't all work out well Obviously, they need an interest in IT before they start, but it was a good experience for us. There was an outlay on our part, and budget restriction mean we don't one at the moment, but I'd take another in a heartbeat.

Thank Post
    I was an Apprentice in an Upper school and spent one week there and one week at college. It was an 8 month course. I got CompTIA A+ and a few Microsoft qualifications out of it.

I now work in a Middle school as an IT Technician.

I will say though they have to have an interest in IT, had some people on my course who didn't and just wanted to get the qualifications, safe to say they didn't and they didn't last long.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I started as an apprentice, i have now been here for 3 and 1/2 years, and am currently doing a Network+ course, with a view to doing more courses as time goes on etc, When i started the only it support was someone visiting once a week, he still visits and deals with some things and generally helps me on that day, though in the future his visits may be less frequent.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast