+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Parents to confront School governors over iPads in General; Exactly - I was under the impression that after they left they'd keep them. What good they'd be 4/5 years ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Exactly - I was under the impression that after they left they'd keep them. What good they'd be 4/5 years down the line I have no idea. As said, I think class sets are a better idea to supplement L&D. Issues like bullying, theft etc are easily taken care of then because they are not perceived as personal devices, school is more likely to keep a close eye on them, easier to manage. Frankly, as someone in the same boat as yourself I'd rather concentrate on making sure my kids, in their ever-growing state were kept in shoes and reasonable clothes first. That's expensive enough!

Thank Post
    I couldn't believe this either but you have to be careful as there as a lot of schemes out there and not all of them all good value.

We offer a BYOD solution like this where parents can pay us monthly for a tablet for the kids to use in school. With ours though:

It's not just iPads, it can be any tablet that the school choose

The payment terms can be whatever the parents want. EG 1,2 or 3 years

The child owns the tablet at the end of the term

0% interest

In our prices, we includes a rugged case, 3 years warranty and 3 years insurance which covers accidental damage

The repairs are all done by ourselves in our own repair centre.

We offer training days for staff FOC

We offer the school cashback etc

It's a very good solution and it seems to be the way that a lot of schools are going.

We're showing this on our Bett stand (F124) with a demo of the portal etc.

Let me know if you have any questions or you'd like a demo or quote

Luke

Thank Post
    Without commenting personally either way, let me play Devil's Advocate here.

The "Why Apple?" question: it's not Apple - it's iOS. There's far more malware out there for Android, for a start. Plus, free MDMs like Meraki are actually useful for iDevices because of the amount of configuration/management options you get... far fewer for Android or similar. Add in the iOS Configuration Utility - if you can work out how to use it! - and you're onto a winner. Considering how much the more decent non-iOS biased MDMs out there cost, I've not run the figures myself but if you add up the difference in price between say at least an iPad 3 and a decent Android tablet, per device, versus the per-device licensing costs for the MDM to manage Android properly... I don't know, it could be interesting.

Also, a local school here introduced this scheme in Year 7 last year and has produced a very comprehensive document with 42 FAQs that would seem to cover the issue in great detail - whether or not you agree with all of that school's answers, I think it's still an interesting read. I certainly wouldn't say they hadn't put much thought into it. Here it is:

http://www.upton-by-chester.cheshire...s_at_Upton.pdf
    Last edited by Ephelyon; 16th January 2014 at 07:08 PM.

4. Thanks to Ephelyon from:

Steven_Cleaver (16th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    From what I know of the scheme I'll clear up some details for you...

There is a suggested donation of £10 per child with optional discounts for multiple children, it has been stated hat no child will be left out for financial reasons.

A deposit of £40 is asked for up front. At the end of the 3 years the parents have the option to buy the iPad at current market value which is estimated to be £40.

The money covers an ipad2 case, apps and 3 years warranty and insurance.
    Last edited by Marshall_IT; 16th January 2014 at 07:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can certainly see school's attempts at becoming wholly electronic in this way (1:1 devices) being as much of a detriment to modern society and education as the lack of discipline we've had over the last several years.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall_IT View Post
    From what I know of the scheme I'll clear up some details for you...

There is a suggested donation of £10 per child with optional discounts for multiple children, it has been stated hat no child will be left out for financial reasons.

A deposit of £40 is asked for up front. At the end of the 3 years the parents have the option to buy the iPad at current market value which is estimated to be £40.

The money covers an ipad2 case, apps and 3 years warranty and insurance.
    So does that mean total cost to the parent is £400 ? Which is cheaper than them buying a new device outright themselves....

on the surface seems like a reasonable deal, and as it's about ensuring no child is left out, I don't see how claims it'd be a money maker for the school stand up to scrutiny. Can it even be said such schemes will allow schools to recover cost alone given you can't ensure some parents don't stop making the donations.

I

Thank Post
    In order to avoid that very allegation, sometimes a school will deliberately set a pot of their own money aside and e.g. charge parents £10/month of what is effectively a £12/month agreement in real terms.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    Also, a local school here introduced this scheme in Year 7 last year and has produced a very comprehensive document with 42 FAQs that would seem to cover the issue in great detail - whether or not you agree with all of that school's answers, I think it's still an interesting read. I certainly wouldn't say they hadn't put much thought into it. Here it is:

http://www.upton-by-chester.cheshire...s_at_Upton.pdf
    Q21) Is it possible to write essays on an iPad?
    Yes it is, this FAQ document was produced entirely on the iPad using Pages
    That would explain the spelling/grammatical mistakes and inconsistent formatting then.

Thank Post
    I can't argue, but I'd have thought that comes down to the user, surely?

Thank Post
    Your right @localzuk, it's like buying a pc based on the min spec of today without thinking about what it will be towards then end of the life of the pc then wondering why it won't be usable as long as the warranty. Question @Millgate, what happens if they agree to it, the take the device into say CEX and trade it in, then stop paying? Is the school liable? Surely school shouldn't be teaching bad money management let alone promoting.

Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    In that case I wish Google maps would follow suit... when I am out and about and need a map and wait an eternity to download the next section via 2G...
    Get proper phone mate. My Windows Phone - slate it if you will, allowed me to download Nokia maps and I've managed to navigate everywhere from London to Wisbech without any problems - signal or not.

PS: Great to hear all the "why Apple" comments, always nice to hear your not the only one running into the "it's the best because the nice ad told me so".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Your right @localzuk, it's like buying a pc based on the min spec of today without thinking about what it will be towards then end of the life of the pc then wondering why it won't be usable as long as the warranty. Question @Millgate, what happens if they agree to it, the take the device into say CEX and trade it in, then stop paying? Is the school liable? Surely school shouldn't be teaching bad money management let alone promoting.
    that's why a school would factor in contingency in their financial planning. I'd also consider setting aside money in the schools budget for the real terms cost of the scheme a form of contingency planning, is it reasonable for say a 600 pupil school to take on the full financial burden of spending 60k+ a year over three years to fund a 1:1 scheme (i'd even question how many schools have the luxury of setting aside that sum of money even if they wanted to) given the demands of funding new PC's, software, IT maintenance etc. You can't exactly ask for the funding of IT for whole school use to be met by parental contributions, but personal devices with the carrot that they are covered by insurance irrespective of where they be damaged or stolen and are owned outright at the end of the 3-years are a different matter.

Parents know the real cost of ownership of these schemes, and the added value of signing up to a school scheme, that's why the majority return their slips, and a minority either won't or can't contribute.

I also think the reason apple devices are overwhelmingly more popular is because of iOS and the app store, and the better depreciation compared against alternatives.

PS: Great to hear all the "why Apple" comments, always nice to hear your not the only one running into the "it's the best because the nice ad told me so".[/QUOTE]

Thank Post
    Sounds like a lot more work for hard-pressed IT Departments.

14. 2 Thanks to laserblazer:

Marshall_IT (17th January 2014), Miscbrah (17th January 2014)

Thank Post
    I suppose the argument for them is doing away with text books, paper books pens paper etc... if they are doing it full steam ahead then I imagine its paperless.

We save £80 buying 1 book for 20 Ipads on the Zindle apps for the Ipads... multiply that and you can see the financial benefit.... and they play angry birds

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alttab View Post
    So does that mean total cost to the parent is £400 ? Which is cheaper than them buying a new device outright themselves....

on the surface seems like a reasonable deal, and as it's about ensuring no child is left out, I don't see how claims it'd be a money maker for the school stand up to scrutiny. Can it even be said such schemes will allow schools to recover cost alone given you can't ensure some parents don't stop making the donations.

I
    A lot of people forget the considerable investment in new infrastructure that a scheme like this requires. Schools generally have make to be successful.
    MDM, robust wireless, larger internet feed, not to mention training.

And that last part is why a lot of schools are choosing apple for their 1 to 1 programmes. No other company offers the level of professional support and training that you get with apple.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @Marshall_IT - that part about support and training simply isn't true *at all*. Microsoft offers pro support and training that is either en par or above that offered by Apple. Google have an ecosystem of companies that provide such support and training also, though they aren't particularly good at advertising it.

No, a lot of schools are choosing because no-one ever got fired for choosing Apple (to steal that old saying). They are failing to do a proper cost benefit analysis in most cases I've seen, and some are even failing to go to tender properly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast