+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Parents to confront School governors over iPads in General; I put my foot down about this. We talked about this and had a presentation, but I said that I ...

Thank Post
    I put my foot down about this. We talked about this and had a presentation, but I said that I would not be responsible for them without training and that it would only be workable with a 10k investment in our wireless infrastructure. they said this wasn't going to happen - so it didn't happen.

Thank Post
    iPad 2's you having a laugh! I have had mine for two years now and since the upgrade to iOS7 it has slowed down so much and constantly crashes I hardly use it anymore. I think its Apple's secret way of making you think you need a new one, No thanks I'll wait for the new Nexus 10.

Thank Post
    This is utterly ridiculous.

Firstly, £10 per month towards a device that, by the sounds of it, will be mandatory. Even if it's not mandatory, it might as well be, because we know how nasty children can be, and anybody that doesn't contribute towards an iPad for their child.. Well, that child's going to have a pretty rough time. I know from experience, not having much money when I was growing up, I never had the latest phone, or the new trainers, or the cool clothes, and apparently that made me a sub-par human being. S'how it works, right? By all means, ask for a voluntary donation, I'd consider that fair, but if the school wants to give each child their own device, the school should be able to pay for it themselves. This, of course, doesn't even account for parents that have more than one child, which is more-and-more common these days.

Second, why iPads? Granted, I'm not a huge Apple fan, but I do try to refrain from pointless bashing where appropriate. If the school could offer an in-depth analysis of multiple possible devices (iPad, Surface, those ASUS Tablet/Notebook combo things, $genericAndoidTablet) and give factual evidence on why the settled for the iPad's, then I'll be okay with that. But I have a sinking feeling it's because 'ooh, shiny'. I think that laptops would be a much better purchase. Laptops are much more durable and infinitely better equipped for the actual creation of data. Tablets are mainly consumption devices, and if the whole class need to disseminate information, it can be handed out as worksheets or displayed on the whiteboard. Laptops are also to a degree repairable and upgradable.

Third, device safety. One device per student, but the parent 'contributes' to the cost? This strikes me that the School still owns the device. What about after 3 years? Does the student or parent own the device then? Who is liable for the device? What if the device is stolen outside of school? Or on the journey to-or-from school, a setting where the student would be expected to be in possession of the device? If the device is mandatory, surely the liability falls onto the school? Maybe the students will be prohibited from taking them home with them, in which case, where will they be stored overnight? What happens if one student steals or damages another students iPad? What if it's simply damaged accidentally, who foots the bill for a replacement? And that's not even getting started on e-safety/AV.

Fourth, educational benefits. I understand textbooks can probably be downloaded on tablets via e-book apps, but honestly - and this is purely my personal opinion - I cannot see a single instance where a tablet would contribute further to education than any other device. What about monitoring/controlling the devices? There's no educational benefit if it gets clogged up with games or movies. What about the inevitable occurrences where students will forget their tablet (or instances of aforementioned theft/damage). Will lessons be tailored towards tablet use?

All-in-all, if this were my hypothetical child's school, I'd be completely against it.

4. 4 Thanks to Garacesh:

AMLightfoot (16th January 2014), buzzard (17th January 2014), gmonks (17th January 2014), LosOjos (16th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You don't choose technology based on its price for schemes like this. You base it on functionality, availability and suitability. The iPad 2 is old tech, and therefore means it won't run 'new' apps designed for the higher resolution screens of newer models etc... Plus, the scheme they are using may not offer that model.

Next, there's spec. The 16GB iPad Air comes in at £320 base price. 16GB is pretty much useless, space wise - some apps are several gigabytes! So, you want at least 32GB, and that is another £150, base price.

Also, take into account extended warranty and insurance.
    Rubbish! We've got iPad2's and i've yet to find an app that won't run on them

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also the last generation ipad minis can be had for 200 quid at the moment.

Absolute Bargain!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    Rubbish! We've got iPad2's and i've yet to find an app that won't run on them
    Yet.

Key word there.

Some of the things @Garacesh says are why I'm still a fan of going Windows 8.1 devices. Yes, Win 8.1 is annoying but it can still have Impero installed. It can be well managed using systems that are tried and tested and work.

Thank Post
    Yet.

Key word there.

Some of the things @Garacesh says are why I'm still a fan of going Windows 8.1 devices. Yes, Win 8.1 is annoying but it can still have Impero installed. It can be well managed using systems that are tried and tested and work.
    What have you found that won't run on them? The higher resolution/more RAM etc is just rubbish, for a web surfing device it doesn't need that sort've hardware it's just marketing rubbish. Bigger numbers mean bigger profits because idiots buy the latest devices.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post

Firstly, £10 per month towards a device that, by the sounds of it, will be mandatory. Even if it's not mandatory, it might as well be, because we know how nasty children can be, and anybody that doesn't contribute towards an iPad for their child.. Well, that child's going to have a pretty rough time. I know from experience, not having much money when I was growing up, I never had the latest phone, or the new trainers, or the cool clothes, and apparently that made me a sub-par human being. S'how it works, right? By all means, ask for a voluntary donation, I'd consider that fair, but if the school wants to give each child their own device, the school should be able to pay for it themselves. This, of course, doesn't even account for parents that have more than one child, which is more-and-more common these days.

Second, why iPads? Granted, I'm not a huge Apple fan, but I do try to refrain from pointless bashing where appropriate. If the school could offer an in-depth analysis of multiple possible devices (iPad, Surface, those ASUS Tablet/Notebook combo things, $genericAndoidTablet) and give factual evidence on why the settled for the iPad's, then I'll be okay with that. But I have a sinking feeling it's because 'ooh, shiny'. I think that laptops would be a much better purchase. Laptops are much more durable and infinitely better equipped for the actual creation of data. Tablets are mainly consumption devices, and if the whole class need to disseminate information, it can be handed out as worksheets or displayed on the whiteboard. Laptops are also to a degree repairable and upgradable.

Third, device safety. One device per student, but the parent 'contributes' to the cost? This strikes me that the School still owns the device. What about after 3 years? Does the student or parent own the device then? Who is liable for the device? What if the device is stolen outside of school? Or on the journey to-or-from school, a setting where the student would be expected to be in possession of the device? If the device is mandatory, surely the liability falls onto the school? Maybe the students will be prohibited from taking them home with them, in which case, where will they be stored overnight? What happens if one student steals or damages another students iPad? What if it's simply damaged accidentally, who foots the bill for a replacement? And that's not even getting started on e-safety/AV.

Fourth, educational benefits. I understand textbooks can probably be downloaded on tablets via e-book apps, but honestly - and this is purely my personal opinion - I cannot see a single instance where a tablet would contribute further to education than any other device. What about monitoring/controlling the devices? There's no educational benefit if it gets clogged up with games or movies. What about the inevitable occurrences where students will forget their tablet (or instances of aforementioned theft/damage). Will lessons be tailored towards tablet use?

All-in-all, if this were my hypothetical child's school, I'd be completely against it.
    This. With bells on. The whole scheme is poorly thought out and rationalised and I think @Garacesh is right in that the choice of device isn't based at all on any usability or feature comparison (in which case an Android or Windows Surface tablet might come out on top - particularly Windows Surface where domain integration is concerned) but purely on 'oooh shiny' and those magic catchphrases and photos they can put in the prospectus to dupe people into believing they are progressive and 'cutting edge'.

I was the same as @Garacesh at school - we didn't have a lot of money and I never had the fashionable stationary brands or the latest shoe fad (Kickers for example) and I vividly remember spending my life on the outside because I just wasn't cool enough and whilst I wouldn't want my child to suffer the same fate, I can't afford to indulge these whims. The school should be funding this 100%.
    Last edited by AMLightfoot; 16th January 2014 at 03:27 PM.

10. Thanks to AMLightfoot from:

Garacesh (16th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    What have you found that won't run on them? The higher resolution/more RAM etc is just rubbish, for a web surfing device it doesn't need that sort've hardware it's just marketing rubbish. Bigger numbers mean bigger profits because idiots buy the latest devices.
    I personally haven't. But that's neither here nor there! The iPad One can't run iOS 6 or 7, so obviously can't run apps for those OS's. Its only a matter of time before the iPad 2 won't support iOS 8 or whatever.

Buying an iPad 2 now would be a terrible investment for a scheme set to last 3 years.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Me too....

The main problem with the iPad and other devices of its ilk is that it is designed as a personal entertainment device. The OS doesn't support rigorous security lockdowns, it doesn't support integration into a domain environment and it doesn't play nice with proxies - 3 things that make them poorly suited as business or educational tools. The iPad in particular is unlikely to be of extensive educational use without additional costly applications. There are many wonderful applications available in the store for learning languages, experimental analysis, books and literature, but they all COST MONEY for the good features - will parents be expected to fork out for the applications too?

Is it compulsory? Surely not?

If my child brought home a form for a school supplied iPad at £10 a month over 3 years it'd go straight into the bin. Too many shortcuts are taken in education already and we're fast churning out a generation of people who have very few formal communication skills - most can't write a letter or tell the difference between the use of 'Yours Sincerely' and 'Yours Faithfully'. If the school want children to use expensive tech then they need to find the budget for it, not expect already hard pressed parents to fund their castle in the sky...

When I did my PGCE I wrote one of my masters level essays on the topic of IT in education and my overwhelming feeling as a result of the work I did was that until a unequivocal benefit can be identified in using IT over other teaching methods, with empirical data to back it up, then we're simply using it for the sake of it. It's like NASA spending a fortune developing a 'Space pen' that works in 0 gravity when a pencil would do the same job.
    ^^^ What she said......with knobs on.

Sick of hearing about iPads. Sick of hearing 'I'll be able to teach better if I had <insert fashionable shiny gadget here>'.

13. 3 Thanks to Earthling:

AMLightfoot (16th January 2014), jumpinjamez (17th January 2014), sted (17th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Ha try telling my line manager this we've got loads of ipad 2's and he keeps buying them even though they will be obsolete in a year, no one listens! :/
    Why would it be the iPad 2 now, with that being several year old technology?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post

<SNIP>

Second, why iPads? Granted, I'm not a huge Apple fan, but I do try to refrain from pointless bashing where appropriate. If the school could offer an in-depth analysis of multiple possible devices (iPad, Surface, those ASUS Tablet/Notebook combo things, $genericAndoidTablet) and give factual evidence on why the settled for the iPad's, then I'll be okay with that. But I have a sinking feeling it's because 'ooh, shiny'. <SNIP>
    I was tasked with evaluating tablets and their domain integration, home folder access, internet access etc, for one of my PMI's last year. I bought an iPad, a Nexus 7 and I wanted a Surface Pro to complete the evaluation. My leaning was towards the Surface or an alternative 8 or 8.1 tablet, for the domain integration, lockdown etc. Before the Surface Pro was released, before I'd even completed a proper classroom evaluation, I was told to order 16 iPads, a Macbook and a cabinet to keep them all in.

Obviously, the evaluation was supposed to be 'Oh, Apple make them, we'll have those then.'

Silly me.

Thank Post
    This about sums it up just going to slip this in here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parents to confront School governors over iPads-willy-wonka-meme-apple-announced-another-ipad-gosh-they-must-such-innovators_thumb.jpg  

17. Thanks to abillybob from:

AMLightfoot (16th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,036 Times in 794 Posts
    Blog Entries
    iPad this, iPad that. They are not the solution to education's problems. They're not even an answer to many questions, in too many cases they are answers to questions people at the school have yet to ask.
    It doesn't make it all bad. For instance, I think having a couple of class sets for primary schools can be an awesome additional asset to the learning and development of children. Likewise, they can be invaluable teaching tools in the right hands. I don't agree with 1:1 provision of any hardware full stop, regardless of who's paying for it, for various reasons. They are tools, they should not be seen as essential by anyone.
    Separately though, I can imagine the high apparent cost would cover the device & the relevant insurance whilst they are still a school asset.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    iPad this, iPad that. They are not the solution to education's problems. They're not even an answer to many questions, in too many cases they are answers to questions people at the school have yet to ask.
    It doesn't make it all bad. For instance, I think having a couple of class sets for primary schools can be an awesome additional asset to the learning and development of children. Likewise, they can be invaluable teaching tools in the right hands. I don't agree with 1:1 provision of any hardware full stop, regardless of who's paying for it, for various reasons. They are tools, they should not be seen as essential by anyone.
    Separately though, I can imagine the high apparent cost would cover the device & the relevant insurance whilst they are still a school asset.
    As someone who will eventually have children and will be hard pressed financially, if I found out that this £10 a month I'm paying per child, per device DIDN'T result in my child getting to keep said device, I'd be chucking the letter in the bin and buying something more sensible with the money. Like Lottery tickets or shares in Minidiscs...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast