+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Parents to confront School governors over iPads in General; Originally Posted by bladedanny Cheaper, even if it's an iPad mini or Air I've just had quotes that came in ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    Cheaper, even if it's an iPad mini or Air I've just had quotes that came in less than 360.
    You don't choose technology based on its price for schemes like this. You base it on functionality, availability and suitability. The iPad 2 is old tech, and therefore means it won't run 'new' apps designed for the higher resolution screens of newer models etc... Plus, the scheme they are using may not offer that model.

Next, there's spec. The 16GB iPad Air comes in at 320 base price. 16GB is pretty much useless, space wise - some apps are several gigabytes! So, you want at least 32GB, and that is another 150, base price.

Also, take into account extended warranty and insurance.

Thank Post
    I dont understand why they need parents to pay for them? The school has a budget if it cannot fit them in, the school cannot afford them. We have had 1:1 ratio of ICT in Years 9,10 and 11 since 2009, it works really well and nobody in the school wants to go back to laptop trolleys and booking ICT rooms.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    some apps are several gigabytes!

Such as?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    if it cannot fit them in, the school cannot afford them.
    I have a suspicion this was the point.

Thank Post
    You don't choose technology based on its price for schemes like this. You base it on functionality, availability and suitability. The iPad 2 is old tech, and therefore means it won't run 'new' apps designed for the higher resolution screens of newer models etc... Plus, the scheme they are using may not offer that model.

Next, there's spec. The 16GB iPad Air comes in at 320 base price. 16GB is pretty much useless, space wise - some apps are several gigabytes! So, you want at least 32GB, and that is another 150, base price.

Also, take into account extended warranty and insurance.
    Fair points, I guess I should have worded it 'Could the parents be paying too much' depending on what specs they get.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post

Such as?
    OK. I'm referring to games... but still, if a mobile game can hit that size, there's no reason other apps can't! Tapped Out hits 1GB on my phone. The guidelines allow for apps to be up to 2GB in size.

If you look at programs that 'sync' videos or the like over, those can eat space in minutes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post

Such as?
    Mostly GPS apps with maps. There's a 2GB limit on iOS apps [unless it changed].

Thank Post
    OK. I'm referring to games... but still, if a mobile game can hit that size, there's no reason other apps can't! Tapped Out hits 1GB on my phone. The guidelines allow for apps to be up to 2GB in size.

If you look at programs that 'sync' videos or the like over, those can eat space in minutes.
    Referring to games might not be that daft though. If it is their iPad, surely they can put whatever games they like on it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Mostly GPS apps with maps. There's a 2GB limit on iOS apps [unless it changed].
    In that case I wish Google maps would follow suit... when I am out and about and need a map and wait an eternity to download the next section via 2G...

rad
    Thank Post
    And the little darlings won't be able to write their names soon if they only know a qwerty keyboard.

My handwriting is poor thanks to the lack of time spent writing with a pen

11. Thanks to rad from:

CHR1S (16th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    Referring to games might not be that daft though. If it is their iPad, surely they can put whatever games they like on it.
    And with schools using games in the classroom being all the rage... apparently... why not!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post
    When I were a lad, we had a pen and some paper if you were lucky! Any you try and tell the young people of today that.. and they won' believe you.
    Pen and paper... luxury... we had to cut of a finger and write in blood.

14. 2 Thanks to Simcfc73:

Fazza (17th January 2014), sparkeh (16th January 2014)

Thank Post
    My old school was at the forefront of the MS 'Anytime Anywhere Learning' scheme, with laptops (partly paid for by parents) bought in for one year group as a trial...it was an unmitigated disaster, with all kids of parental/school disputes, queues on a Monday morning to have fixed what they broke over the weekend, etc, etc. Few would dispute 1:1 learning as an ideal, but we don't live in an ideal world.

As for the 'pad' approach. Most of the whitepaper reports I've seen included all the wrong questions. Basically, they were pushing the notion that they had introduced pads, there was a positive response, ergo pads were the way forward. What they actually did was introduce IT into classrooms that previously had no IT, therefore the positive reaction was almost inevitable. What I've never seen is a review that introduced laptops or tablets where none existed, took them away, replaced them with pads, and then asked for opinions.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    We looked at this at my governor school along with BYOD... it raised more questions than it answered.

Exactly how would it improve the progress of the students and how would that be assured?
    What does the school do about the less affluent children?
    Does the school have secure storage for devices required for teaching in school so the devices are safe and secure during PE and at break times for example?
    What happens when said device is out of batteries because student forgot to charge it or the battery is incapable of lasting until the end of the school day?
    Who has to insure the item against theft, damage or loss?

We have a solicitor on our Governing Body, he told us that if the school requires students (or staff for that matter) to bring the devices in then the school cannot abdicate responsibility for their insurance.

There are a couple of BETT seminars that I am keen to attend: Implementing BYOD - a warts & all expose (Saturday 12.30pm)
    and BYOD – What you wish you had known (Friday 12.45pm)
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 16th January 2014 at 03:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by APMerry View Post
    I'm sick of iPads. 400 web browser.
    Me too....

The main problem with the iPad and other devices of its ilk is that it is designed as a personal entertainment device. The OS doesn't support rigorous security lockdowns, it doesn't support integration into a domain environment and it doesn't play nice with proxies - 3 things that make them poorly suited as business or educational tools. The iPad in particular is unlikely to be of extensive educational use without additional costly applications. There are many wonderful applications available in the store for learning languages, experimental analysis, books and literature, but they all COST MONEY for the good features - will parents be expected to fork out for the applications too?

Is it compulsory? Surely not?

If my child brought home a form for a school supplied iPad at 10 a month over 3 years it'd go straight into the bin. Too many shortcuts are taken in education already and we're fast churning out a generation of people who have very few formal communication skills - most can't write a letter or tell the difference between the use of 'Yours Sincerely' and 'Yours Faithfully'. If the school want children to use expensive tech then they need to find the budget for it, not expect already hard pressed parents to fund their castle in the sky...

When I did my PGCE I wrote one of my masters level essays on the topic of IT in education and my overwhelming feeling as a result of the work I did was that until a unequivocal benefit can be identified in using IT over other teaching methods, with empirical data to back it up, then we're simply using it for the sake of it. It's like NASA spending a fortune developing a 'Space pen' that works in 0 gravity when a pencil would do the same job.
    Last edited by AMLightfoot; 16th January 2014 at 02:57 PM.

18. 3 Thanks to AMLightfoot:

jumpinjamez (17th January 2014), laserblazer (17th January 2014), tonypenair (17th January 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast