+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, School Governors Policies in General; Hello folks, I keep getting requests to put more and more policies on the school website, currently divided into two ...

Thank Post

School Governors Policies

Hello folks,

I keep getting requests to put more and more policies on the school website, currently divided into two areas, one page with all the main policies (about 50 of them) and one more for internal type issues eg staff discipline etc (some 30 odd policies) under the Governors page, at present this page is tucked away but not password protected/sign on. The governors are planning on putting more docs in this area. I was wondering firstly do other schools have this many policies on their website ie 80+ and do you have a special password protected / sign on page for governors policies/documentation ?

Any info gratefully received

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,711 Posts
    All school policies are in the public domain so there is no need to worry about them being on the website. My governor school has them all there, my employing school only has the statutory ones.

There is a very small list of stautory policies that MUST appear on the website. You can find it here: Statutory policies for schools - Schools

Speaking from experience as both a governor of a state school and a school employee, policies seem to breed and from time to time a cull is a good idea. The governors will love it if SLT were minded to go through them and remove a few as every single one needs regular review and approval by the Governing Body!

Policies are the responsibility of the school, the GB only adopts those put forward by the school. Personally, I think all of them should be available on the website. It makes handling complaints and appeals much easier.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 15th January 2014 at 05:22 PM.

3. 2 Thanks to elsiegee40:

sloughman (15th January 2014), speckytecky (15th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,506 Posts
    We use Governorhub for sharing of info minutes etc...

Ben

5. 2 Thanks to plexer:

sloughman (15th January 2014), speckytecky (15th January 2014)

Thank Post
    We use Joomla, the non-statutory policies which the governors need to see to approve are within the password protected section of the site (along with any governor specific docs).

7. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

sloughman (15th January 2014)

Thank Post
    At my employing school, where we have Google Apps for education, we are looking at putting all the adopted policies into a public Google Drive folder that we link to from the website. It will save messing about uploading things on a regular basis. It also means it becomes the problem of the staff maintaining the policies to make sure it's updated and not the problem of the IT technician!

Thank Post
    Have you thought of becoming a Staff Governor when the post next comes up for election? (every 4 years) Maybe you could have some influence, the experience I have gained from being a governor is amazing and looks brilliant on my cv ... in fact my current, more managerial, role is based on that experience

For those not aware a Staff Governor is a representative OF staff on the Governing Body, not a representative FOR staff; it is not like being a Trades Union Rep.

The same applies to Parent Governors. They are elected for a 4 year term as a representative OF parents, not a representative FOR parents.

Governors are not paid; they are all volunteers.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 15th January 2014 at 06:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,758 Posts
    Neither of my employer schools, nor my governor school, have all their policies on the website, just the statutory ones with a note stating that all policies are available from the school office. Having said that, if the governors do need to see the staff discipline type policies, I think it doesn't hurt to put them in a password protected area. Also this is very useful to have anyway for governors to exchange information

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I can vouch for the value of being a governor I was a Staff one at my last job and found it very rewarding and an interesting experience and was involved in a range of things with them including a major refurbishment of the buildings, merger of two other local schools into ours, and the appointment of a new head.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    representative OF parents, not a representative FOR
    Hijack time! Aren't they the same thing?
    I'm going to assume not, since you took the time to clarify one, not the other, but they seem like the same thing..? What's the difference?

Thank Post
    Not quite:
    "of" is used to indicate relation
    "for" is used to indicate attempting to obtain, gain, or acquire

14. Thanks to witch from:

elsiegee40 (16th January 2014)

Thank Post
    If you are a representative of a body of people, you are a person who happens to be... a member of staff... a parent of a current pupil... working for the LA... working in the community (aka Staff Governor, Parent Governor, LA Governor, Community Governor) Your job is to govern the school, challenging its leadership team to ensure the students make best progress and that public money is spent effectively.

You are not there to bring staff/parent gripes to the Governing Body (GB). There are procedures and policies which define how those must be made which will bring them to the GB, but in a regulated fashion. The GB should be seeking the views of the school's stakeholders, but not by governors just going out and asking opinion. You are not a representative FOR a group of people in the way that a lobbyist may be for example.

Becoming a governor is a great way of finding out what is going on in a school and having influence, but governors should not be bringing personal agendas to meetings. Hopefully, most don't.

As a Parent Governor, I am always careful to make sure that school staff understand when I am being a parent and when I am being a governor. (Staff usually switch calling me Mrs G........ instead of using my forename which helps them to separate my different identities.) I am now Chair of the GB; my son commented that he hadn't realised that I was going to be the most important person in the school (which I suppose I am because the Head is answerable to me, but I am really first among equals on the GB and not able to act alone) He reckons that staff are more careful about what they say to him now though
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 16th January 2014 at 10:49 AM.

16. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Garacesh (16th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Ah, makes sense now Thanks.

Thank Post
    What she said^
    Sorry my response was a bit basic - I got the "Witch, you must come and sort this out NOW" call....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    my son commented that he hadn't realised that I was going to be the most important person in the school (which I suppose I am
    lol !

Thank Post
    Important note... you only get to be a Chair/Vice Chair if you are not a Staff Governor. Those employed by the school, including the Headteacher, cannot Chair or Vice Chair committees or the GB

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast