+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Sky Fibre Optic Broadband in General; Has anybody got it and if so, is it any good? I'm getting quoted an estimated speed of 15Mb/s, which ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts

Sky Fibre Optic Broadband

Has anybody got it and if so, is it any good?

I'm getting quoted an estimated speed of 15Mb/s, which is a drastic improvement on my current top speed of 3Mb/s, but I'm curious to hear from others how reliable these figures are.

I know there are much, much quicker fibre optic connections out there but unfortunately Sky are the only ones so far to say they can offer it in my area!

Also, I wondered if anyone who does have Sky Fibre BB also has to pay line rental? I don't want/need my land line and obviously it's not necessary for fibre optic BB, but there's no option to get rid of it online so I'm going to call them and see if they'll do it - would effectively make my BB upgrade cost me no extra per month if they cancel the land line!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Sky Fibre is basically BT Infinity re-branded. Generally Sky are pretty good these days, but people around the country will no doubt have their say. FTTC is a good compromise for people who require more bandwidth and it's relatively cheap for BT to do.

3. Thanks to Michael from:

LosOjos (15th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Sky Fibre is basically BT Infinity re-branded. Generally Sky are pretty good these days, but people around the country will no doubt have their say. FTTC is a good compromise for people who require more bandwidth and it's relatively cheap for BT to do.
    Is the Sky service FTTC then? That'll explain why they're telling me I need line rental still... although that worries me that I won't get near the 15Mb/s quoted - they quoted me 7Mb/s on my current connection and that peaks at around 3Mb/s

Thank Post
    Have been on it for over a year now, when I first had it I was getting 30Mbps up and 13Mbps down. It isn't quite as fast now in part due to other people taking it up and slowing down the exchange but I am still getting 18Mbps up and 9Mbps down. Much better than the 0.5Mbps I was getting through ADSL.

It is a BT infinity connection you even get a BT engineer installing it, Sky just take less money for the same service!

6. Thanks to foofighterjim from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post
    Have been on it for over a year now, when I first had it I was getting 30Mbps up and 13Mbps down. It isn't quite as fast now in part due to other people taking it up and slowing down the exchange but I am still getting 18Mbps up and 9Mbps down. Much better than the 0.5Mbps I was getting through ADSL.

It is a BT infinity connection you even get a BT engineer installing it, Sky just take less money for the same service!
    You get faster upload than download speeds? Weird

Either way, sounds like it's the best offer I'm going to get where I live and as most people on my little estate are OAPs, hopefully there won't be many tying up the exchange...

Think I'm gonna give it a go if I can get them to agree to withdraw and refund the activation fee if the speed I get is carp.

Thank Post
    I've had Sky Broadband in the past. It was terrible, constantly slow or dropping out. Their customer service was equally as terrible, however, this was a few years ago.

My friend currently has Sky Broadband (though, not fibre) and says their internet is still as poor as I described.

Would not recommend.

9. Thanks to Garacesh from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've just left Sky, found many stupid issues (including the last one which was blocking hundreds of innocent & good websites for the sake of their crap web filters). Service terrible, wanted me to pay 20 quid a month more for their FTTC offering when I could get better from Virgin. Lesser of 2 evils? Probably not, they're mostly as bad as eachother.

11. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

Thank Post
    I have a feeling that @elsiegee40 changed to Sky Fibre.

@LosOjos Surely if Sky can offer fibre, BT will be able to offer it...

I have looked at the Sky Fibre prices and when I go change to Fibre, I won't be having Sky. They want £30 for up to 78mb plus line rental!
    Last edited by Devontechie; 15th January 2014 at 12:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    I've had Sky Broadband in the past. It was terrible, constantly slow or dropping out. Their customer service was equally as terrible, however, this was a few years ago.

My friend currently has Sky Broadband (though, not fibre) and says their internet is still as poor as I described.

Would not recommend.
    I used to have a lot of trouble with dropped connections, until I bought a cheap TP-LINK router to replace Sky's own - been fine since! It is slow though.

Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I've just left Sky, found many stupid issues (including the last one which was blocking hundreds of innocent & good websites for the sake of their crap web filters). Service terrible, wanted me to pay 20 quid a month more for their FTTC offering when I could get better from Virgin. Lesser of 2 evils? Probably not, they're mostly as bad as eachother.
    I'd much rather go with Virgin, prefer their TV packages too, but can't get it where I am it looks as though FTTC is the best I'm going to get and it's a damn site cheaper from Sky than BT so it may be my only realistic option. BT want £23pcm or an extra £15.50, whereas it'll only cost me an extra £12.50pcm to get it from sky and whilst BT claim I'll get up to 38Mb/s, I strongly suspect that's over estimating it unless they fit an actual fibre to my property.

I was hoping someone would have come up with a decent home 4G package by now as we do get excellent 4G reception where I am, but they're all overpriced and hugely limited at the moment (unless anyone knows of a good one I don't?)
    Last edited by LosOjos; 15th January 2014 at 12:25 PM.

Thank Post
    We have it in our residential house and it's pretty rubbish. It's only running at 12mbps and 18 users and it's completely saturated.

15. Thanks to Oaktech from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,318 Times in 800 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You do still have to pay line rental.
    BT Openreach do the FTTC install although Sky have been trialling self install kit (dont do it, you get faster speeds from a real install)
    Although BT Openreach supply the FTTC once it gets back to the exchange its then through Sky so it is a Sky connection as such.
    If I were you I would move over to get the better speeds and I suspect you wont be far off that, my cab gets updated in the next few months and as soon as its done I will switch.

I recently moved (non virgin area) and looked at options for heavy use broadband and really you only have 2 choices, BT retail or Sky BB based on feedback. TalkTalk is better than it was but I would still avoid myself.
    BT costs more than sky and has an 18 month lock in as well as traffic management which basically leaves Sky as the only real unlimited unmanaged net connection.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 15th January 2014 at 12:27 PM.

17. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Bt do overestimate, you're right . we have BT too at home, it's about half of what they described to us.

19. Thanks to Tesla from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    BT costs more than sky and has an 18 month lock in as well as traffic management which basically leaves Sky as the only real unlimited unmanaged net connection.
    It's interesting you say that as they (BT) claim they don't employ any traffic management at all, in fact they use it as a selling point!

Thank Post
    I've got Sky Fibre Optic and its worked well for me, get about 30mb download speed. It's the only ISP i've had fibre with so can't give you any comparison. Their customer service isnt great though, it was really hard to get any sort of deal and spent a long time on the phone. I hate to think what their technical support line is like, but the Engineers are alright when you get one.
    Last edited by APMerry; 15th January 2014 at 12:37 PM.

22. Thanks to APMerry from:

Thank Post
    Girlfriend was on Sky all she had was issues and the support team where appalling! Really disappointed with them we cut all contracts including their television. She was on fibre optic and she was getting 1mbps maybe more than my ADSL broadband, ridiculous!

24. Thanks to abillybob from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast