+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Sky Fibre Optic Broadband in General; Originally Posted by LosOjos It's interesting you say that as they (BT) claim they don't employ any traffic management at ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    It's interesting you say that as they (BT) claim they don't employ any traffic management at all, in fact they use it as a selling point!

I had to change to BT after Virgin when I moved last August. It sucks, to be perfectly blunt.

No traffic management? What do they call a maximum of three connections on their Usenet servers and a speed limit of 100k per connection.....that might be a total of 100k over three connections. I can't remember, I only used it once.

When I signed-up, they promised me 56meg download and even when I phoned them one time to complain that I wasn't getting that, their helpful operator greeted me with my name and told me '...and you're getting 56Meg download broadband'. In actuality, I get about 36Meg. I'm currently phoning them every month with that month's average speed over four different speed testers and demanding to be released from my contract as they're not supplying what they promised. I might as well talk to the wall.

My daughter was on Sky and eventually changed to VM after months of new routers, excuses, technical bulls**t that they knew she couldn't contradict and no internet four days out of seven.

All in all, I'm convinced that if you can't get Virginmedia, then all you can get is highly-variable ADSL from a bunch of highly-variable providers.

If the government was serious about providing high-speed BB across the country, they'd throw money at Virginmedia to do it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    If the government was serious about providing high-speed BB across the country, they'd throw money at FTTP to do it.
    Fixed that, virgin is good because of the fibre link. If fibre was the standard install and multiple isps could access it then we would all win.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Virgin is poor here. They offer speeds for customers up to 200mb in luton. The 1 person I know who has it, doesn't get more than 30mb at off peak times, and no more than 20mb during peak. Fine its still a good speed, but my sky line (copper) gets me more during peak times than he does at off peak (I hit 38mb-40mb with sky)

Thank Post
    I used to have a lot of trouble with dropped connections, until I bought a cheap TP-LINK router to replace Sky's own - been fine since! It is slow though.
    I've been with SKY for a few months on ADSL but I thought they only allow you to use their Hub? I've certainly tried getting my TP-LINK to work and it just won't.

The problem I find with the Sky hub is that you can't change the DNS which means I can't use OpenDNS for example. Real pain as it was a convenient way to have web logs as well as decent filtering.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    I've been with SKY for a few months on ADSL but I thought they only allow you to use their Hub? I've certainly tried getting my TP-LINK to work and it just won't.

The problem I find with the Sky hub is that you can't change the DNS which means I can't use OpenDNS for example. Real pain as it was a convenient way to have web logs as well as decent filtering.
    You're not supposed to and they won't support you (haha, support!) with it but you can use this tool to find out your Sky login details: https://www.cm9.net/skypass/

I don't know if that works with their new routers but I imagine it would as they are interchangeable. Basically, the MAC address and default password are actually a kind of key for your login details, and that site will decrypt them for you. Pop those details in to your new modem and away you go

6. Thanks to LosOjos from:

JJonas (31st January 2014)

Thank Post
    You're not supposed to and they won't support you (haha, support!) with it but you can use this tool to find out your Sky login details: https://www.cm9.net/skypass/

I don't know if that works with their new routers but I imagine it would as they are interchangeable. Basically, the MAC address and default password are actually a kind of key for your login details, and that site will decrypt them for you. Pop those details in to your new modem and away you go
    I just asked them for the adsl login details so I could use different router and they just gave them to me!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Yeah they did recently but I dont trust them to stick to it. I would actually avoid BT based on experiences with other peoples connections tbh although the ability to access ANY bt customers wifi connection when out and about is useful. I just dont want anyone else using MY bandwidth...
    This is one of the reasons I switched out the homehub to my own router as soon as the BT engineer left after he did his installation work! That and the homehub sucked.

I've been on the BT FTTC product for the past year now and so far I've had no complaints. Speeds vary between 40-70mbps depending on the time of day. Sky isn't an option, I do my best not to give any money to Rupert. I could have gone with Virgin but I've been bitten by their traffic shaping before and data caps before and BT said that they didn't have any.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    No traffic management? What do they call a maximum of three connections on their Usenet servers and a speed limit of 100k per connection.....that might be a total of 100k over three connections. I can't remember, I only used it once.
    I call that a bandwidth throttle on their usenet servers, not necessarily traffic management on your connection. I use Astraweb for my usenet access and I always max out my connection when I download from it. I have it set to six connections, works fine.
    Last edited by Norphy; 31st January 2014 at 03:50 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123