+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Sky Fibre Optic Broadband in General; Originally Posted by LosOjos It's interesting you say that as they (BT) claim they don't employ any traffic management at ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    It's interesting you say that as they (BT) claim they don't employ any traffic management at all, in fact they use it as a selling point!
    Yeah they did recently but I dont trust them to stick to it. I would actually avoid BT based on experiences with other peoples connections tbh although the ability to access ANY bt customers wifi connection when out and about is useful. I just dont want anyone else using MY bandwidth...

2. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

LosOjos (15th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Yeah they did recently but I dont trust them to stick to it. I would actually avoid BT based on experiences with other peoples connections tbh although the ability to access ANY bt customers wifi connection when out and about is useful. I just dont want anyone else using MY bandwidth...
    that sounds like it's open to massive amounts of abuse!

OK, time to roll the dice and give Sky a call then. Hopefully I can get them to cut me some kind of deal as it would actually work out cheaper with BT once you take the 3 months half price plus cheaper activation fee in to account. Not that I have any intention of going to BT now but it's always nice to have your gun loaded when you make these calls

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    that sounds like it's open to massive amounts of abuse!

OK, time to roll the dice and give Sky a call then. Hopefully I can get them to cut me some kind of deal as it would actually work out cheaper with BT once you take the 3 months half price plus cheaper activation fee in to account. Not that I have any intention of going to BT now but it's always nice to have your gun loaded when you make these calls
    Yeah its a *feature* of the homehub. You used to be able to turn it off but no longer, every homehub broadcasts an extra ssid called BT Wifi (couple of variations of name) which you sign onto using your bt details and then you can use their net capped at around 500kb a sec. BT will sell access to ANYONE with a credit card and you get no % of it either so you could be watching netflix buffer with a 5mb (connected) connection losing 500kb of the bandwidth because BT is reselling your net to someone else.
    I am sure BT log everything and they actively disable things like Googles HTTPS search as google will alert you to it to prevent abuse but when anyone can get a disposable credit card it will make the process slow.

Sky suffers from overloaded exchanges (my old one for example) but Virgin have a huge habit of doing the same thing but the actual connection ADSL/FTTC should be similar for any ISP. The speed difference usually comes from the exchange->net backhaul and how much money X isp spends on their bandwidth.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 15th January 2014 at 12:56 PM.

5. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

LosOjos (15th January 2014)

Thank Post
    To resolve this issue could you not just enable MAC filtering? But I agree this is really bad if this is the case, would this also give access to your internal network?
    Yeah its a *feature* of the homehub. You used to be able to turn it off but no longer, every homehub broadcasts an extra ssid called BT Wifi (couple of variations of name) which you sign onto using your bt details and then you can use their net capped at around 500kb a sec. BT will sell access to ANYONE with a credit card and you get no % of it either so you could be watching netflix buffer with a 5mb (connected) connection losing 500kb of the bandwidth because BT is reselling your net to someone else.
    I am sure BT log everything and they actively disable things like Googles HTTPS search as google will alert you to it to prevent abuse but when anyone can get a disposable credit card it will make the process slow.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    To resolve this issue could you not just enable MAC filtering? But I agree this is really bad if this is the case, would this also give access to your internal network?
    Its not an AP you configure. You cant turn it off but those logged on to it are isolated so they cant access your internal network. Basically its a guest network AP.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I've just left Sky, found many stupid issues (including the last one which was blocking hundreds of innocent & good websites for the sake of their crap web filters). Service terrible, wanted me to pay 20 quid a month more for their FTTC offering when I could get better from Virgin. Lesser of 2 evils? Probably not, they're mostly as bad as eachother.
    Can you get FTTC from Sky then - thought BT Infinity wasn't available where as VM is down that area ?

Thank Post
    What about just getting another router such as the Asus N66U! Surely then this feature can't still be enabled! I think this is really bad can't quite get my head around it!!!
    Its not an AP you configure. You cant turn it off but those logged on to it are isolated so they cant access your internal network. Basically its a guest network AP.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Can you get FTTC from Sky then - thought BT Infinity wasn't available where as VM is down that area ?
    I think thats what he was saying yes. If Sky can offer Fibre/FTTC, BT Retail will be able to offer it too.

Just to clarify for all Infinity is just a brand name for BT Retails FTTC offering, Sky offer Sky Fibre as their brand name for FTTC but both use exactly the same phone/wire/street cabinet. When your data gets to the exchange it then goes either via BT Retails backhaul or Sky Broadbands backhaul but up to that point both are identical and ran by a company called BT Openreach (part of BT but regulated which is why its seperate from BT Retail who sell broadband)
    Virgin offer fibre but that is seperate from BT Openreach FTTC and having Virgin in the area wont affect the possibility of having BT Openreach FTTC, the 2 things are not linked.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @mac_shinobi I'm buggering off to t'next town along in a fortnight! Can't wait to get out of this hole. Sky & BT offer their FTTC (infinity) but the price is just daft.

12. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

mac_shinobi (15th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    What about just getting another router such as the Asus N66U! Surely then this feature can't still be enabled! I think this is really bad can't quite get my head around it!!!
    Yeah you can replace the router fixing the issue I believe. Sky had/has a term preventing you using any other router then the one they provide but I dont think BT do.
    The guest AP is secure in the sense your internal network cant be hacked from it, its just annoying to think you could lose bandwidth to *guests*

Thank Post
    I believe the bt with fon and openzone can be turned off, but you have to use a form on the BT website, or call them and they turn it off.

However I'm not so sure that it then renders you unable to use the bt public wifi if you are out and about.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    I believe the bt with fon and openzone can be turned off, but you have to use a form on the BT website, or call them and they turn it off.

However I'm not so sure that it then renders you unable to use the bt public wifi if you are out and about.
    There used to be a setting in the homehubs as I had turned it off on my parents old homehub but I suspect BT updated the firmware to prevent that. Not sure if you lose access but it wouldnt suprise me if you did.

The problem is I think many of BT's customers dont know about the feature or how to use it or that BT resells their bandwidth. I literally had to use the BT Wifi AP of an unknown neighbour at christmas and paid for a day of access. The interesting thing was I could hear music/sound through the wall but when I started downloading the music/sound was cutting out then a few minutes later the AP's would disappear. I suspect that person was rebooting the router as they couldnt understand why the net was busy/slow but I am speculating. It did happen several times though while downloading updates though and the sound was stuttering/stopping regularly after I started the updates.

Thank Post
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I think the automatic attachment of another service freeloading off someone's possibly already pitiful connection is a pretty underhand way to do business and BT need to publicise the way it works far better. However, it CAN (and should) just be turned off.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehill06 View Post
    I have a feeling that @elsiegee40 changed to Sky Fibre.

@LosOjos Surely if Sky can offer fibre, BT will be able to offer it...

I have looked at the Sky Fibre prices and when I go change to Fibre, I won't be having Sky. They want 30 for up to 78mb plus line rental!
    We moved to Sky fibre having previously had Sky's standard service. Before that we were with BT and the service was terrible:0.75 Mb and kept dropping out

When we moved to Sky they took over the phone line as well. Overnight the line speed improved by 500%. We were very happy. The subsequent move to fibre has been hassle free too,

Our next door neighbour is still with BT and has moved to fibre with them. Based on his experience, I am glad we are with Sky
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 15th January 2014 at 04:57 PM.

18. 2 Thanks to elsiegee40:

LosOjos (15th January 2014), mac_shinobi (15th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Just an update - Sky FTTC went live yesterday, gone from 3 down 0.6 up to a non-too-shabby 20 down 6 up - I'm happy

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast