+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Couch To 5K in General; I decided over Christmas that, having made some life changing decisions in 2103, I needed to take on a new ...

Thank Post

Couch To 5K

I decided over Christmas that, having made some life changing decisions in 2103, I needed to take on a new project in 2014. I've been threatening for a while now to do some running and was chatting to my daughter about it. She suggested the Couch to 5k program. It takes you from being a couch potato (me) to running a 30 minute 5k in 9 structured weeks.

I was a bit cynical at first but I had a look on the website ... Get running with Couch to 5K - Live Well - NHS Choices

Now bear in mind the last time I did any serious running was when I was at school nearly 40 years ago and it was with no small amount of trepidation that I downloaded the podcasts, put my trainers on and got out there on the 4th of Jan for my first session.

It was awesome. I completed the 30 minute session and arrived back at home absolutely buzzing and raring to go on the second session.

The podcasts are structured, telling you when to run, when to walk etc with music as well to help and each week builds on the previous week and ramps it up just that little bit.

There's a 5k race in Milton Keynes on the 9th of March and that's my target, to complete that. I never thought that at the age of 55 that I would be entering a road race again but I'm really looking forward to it.

I just thought I'd start this in case there was anyone else out there who had made a similar decision but was not sure how to go about it. If you are looking to do a bit more exercise e and want something structured with a target to aim for then I can't recommend this highly enough. There's loads of support on the website and in the forum.

Is there anyone else doing this? If so, how are you finding it?

2. 5 Thanks to HarryMonkey:

ButterflyMoon (14th January 2014), elsiegee40 (14th January 2014), JOrdan01070 (14th January 2014), LosOjos (14th January 2014), tmcd35 (14th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,256 Times in 1,661 Posts
    Well done you!

I haven't tried it personally, but having taken up gojng to the gym as I rapidly approach becoming elsiegee50, I can recommend the exercise thing.

Thank Post
    Thanks @elsiegee40 The hardest part was that initial motivation ... getting myself out of the door but now I get frustrated when I can't go out.

Thank Post
    I hike and had been out for a while in the last 18 months with the treatments etc and after effects but am getting back to it now. Had a few good hikes over the New Year trip away and was dead chuffed. I hit the big 60 week after next and am aiming to get back to my drumming in the band!! Well done Harry Monkey!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,716 Posts
    Well done! It sounds like a really good program. Let us know how you get on

Thank Post
    Well it must be good if your going to be around in 2103 to make some pretty big decisions!

8. Thanks to Arcath from:

Greenbeast (14th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Ooops!

Thank Post
    I dodnt follow the plan but I did take up running a while back to lose weight.

Its a great thing to do and like you said when you do it you feel a buzz and sometimes you want to do even more. I can bet that in a few months time you will be doing 10k's then after you will be considerjng doing a marathon. Good luck and most importantly make sure you stick to it

Thank Post
    My Missus rates it... she's done quite a lot of it (up to the 3k mark) but she's been put off by the weather at the moment.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Good call! Think I might give this a go to regain some fitness after I stopped cycling back around September time. Can't seem to get motivated to get back on the bike for some reason. Maybe 9 weeks of this will sort me out?

Thank Post
    I've heard quite a few people talk about the couch to 5k program - all of them have been positive about it. I downloaded it, but I'm not sure I'm built for running.

My wife and I joined the gym in early December and I received a fitbit flex for Christmas. With the fitbit app and the monthly gym direct debit I'm feeling motivated to get active. Last week I even might have started enjoying it...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    I've heard quite a few people talk about the couch to 5k program - all of them have been positive about it. I downloaded it, but I'm not sure I'm built for running.

My wife and I joined the gym in early December and I received a fitbit flex for Christmas. With the fitbit app and the monthly gym direct debit I'm feeling motivated to get active. Last week I even might have started enjoying it...
    You may be surprised. I couldn't run for 2min before but in Oct 2012 I did a Half Marathon.

Try taking up running for a while and see what happens even if you only run 5mins a day until you get use to it.

Thank Post
    I'm actively going down the gym now. I still have days where I feel I CBA but they've recently replaced their gym kit. All the new stuff has full on in-built in Android tablets, iPod docks etc so the geek in my finds it fun to browse reddit on a cycling machine!

If you find you need a distraction, or motivation, while doing your running, I can highly recommend the Zombies! Run! app and the Zombies! 5k! apps. You run and have an audio story along side it. Zombie hordes trigger you to run faster, and you get items at the end of your run to reinforce your home base! It's awesome!

Available on Android and iOS: https://www.zombiesrungame.com/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisateen View Post
    You may be surprised. I couldn't run for 2min before but in Oct 2012 I did a Half Marathon.

Try taking up running for a while and see what happens even if you only run 5mins a day until you get use to it.
    How long did it take you to get to 'half marathon' stage?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 762 Posts
    Used to go to the gym but found my knees and calves not up to it so decided to take up "Pilates" twice a week, really struggled at first as I'm not the most flexible person on the planet but as the weeks went by I get stronger and more supple, really get a buzz and feelgood factor from it.

I also maintain a healthy eating habit during the week, fresh produce always, my only downfall is my sweet tooth but I am working on it and now drink black coffee no sugar and white T just 1 sugar, also keeping my alcohol intake down to a couple of glasses red wine over the weekend and nothing during the week.

I did go a little overboard during Christmas n New Year and gained over a stone but since I have gone back to my healthy regime I have lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks hehe!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast