+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Results 121 to 134 of 134
General Chat Thread, Couch To 5K in General; Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam I really don't like rest days. They make me feel lazy and restless! But yes, I ...
  1. #121

    HarryMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedford
    Posts
    1,134
    Thank Post
    56
    Thanked 217 Times in 164 Posts
    Rep Power
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    I really don't like rest days. They make me feel lazy and restless! But yes, I am trying to rest up, especially as it hurts to walk at the minute.
    I know what you mean but you really need to take care of those knees. I had a problem with mine back in Jan/Feb when doing the Couch To 5k and I found a generous application of Volterol, a support bandage and an ice pack after a run helped, even running in a tubigrip helped but the best thing I did was get a pair of proper running shoes, from that moment on the pain subsided and running became a pleasure again. Like others have said, listen to your body, if it starts to hurt then stop and let it get over the damage before you do even more damage to it. Rest days are frustrating but essential.

  2. #122
    SiliconAlley_Sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    584
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 117 Times in 92 Posts
    Rep Power
    53
    Thanks for the advice @HarryMonkey! Do you think it's worth going to one of those running shops where they get you on the treadmill and look at how you run before picking you some trainers (pretty sure that's the technical description of the process ).

    Mid way through week 4 of Couch to 5k now and starting to find it more challenging and fun! Find that using the 5k app combined with "Run, Zombies!" for entertainment and Fitbit for steps/calories is a pretty good combination.

    Went on a long country walk with some friends I don't get to see very often at the weekend and they all noticed a difference in fitness and shape. There was some leg groping too, they're feeling pretty solid! Now I just need to turn my attention to all the other jibbly bits.

  3. #123

    HarryMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedford
    Posts
    1,134
    Thank Post
    56
    Thanked 217 Times in 164 Posts
    Rep Power
    173
    Yes, I would go along to a running shop (even though I didn't ... I wasn't in a position to spend a lot on shoes so I just went to Sports Direct). The process is called Gait Analysis and they will match shoes to how you run and can often pick up on things you might be doing wrong.

    I took a bit of a (enforced) break from running and have now started the Bridge To 10k ... it's hard work but worth the effort. I'm also doing the occasional Parkrun as well and have found my 5k times getting quicker.

    I've also noticed a huge difference in fitness, I sleep better, feel healthier and happier (although that might be also due to me new relationship lol), I've dropped a size in clothes, I've also found myself looking at food labels now, and my alcohol consumption has plummeted, not wanting to undo all the good work I'm doing. I just need to remove the "middle age spread" now and I'll be happy

  4. #124
    SiliconAlley_Sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    584
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 117 Times in 92 Posts
    Rep Power
    53
    Yeah, I can't really justify expensive trainers just yet especially as I didn't long since buy a pair as my previous ones didn't fit very well and destroyed my big toe (made the nail all ingrown, ergh). I might hold out until near-Christmas and see if the boyfriend fancies getting them for me.

    There's a Park Run very near my house, I just haven't quite worked up the courage to try it yet . I'm hoping another few weeks of the Couch to 5k and I might start feeling ready to run where other people can see me!

    It's bizarre isn't it? If someone told me 3/4 months ago that I'd be enjoying running or that it'd be having such a positive impact on my life I'd have laughed let alone that I'd be absolutely miserable having to take a few weeks off to let my knees recover!

  5. #125

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    872
    Thank Post
    90
    Thanked 165 Times in 140 Posts
    Rep Power
    49
    You don't need expensive trainers, just trainers that suit you and your feet!

    Yes, I admit that I have many (6+) pairs of trainers!! many are expensive. But I've never paid full price, at most half the normal price by just shopping around or buying last season's models.

    In fairness, my first 2 pairs of New Balance Trainers were only £35 each, which took me through ~1000miles of running/training including GNR and 2 marathons... and the most I've paid is £64 for £129.99 New Balance Trainers; so there are bargains to be had! (As you will note, all my are New Balance, as they just work for me, but everyone is different). Even how you lace your trainers up can affect your feet (e.g. wide/broad, crumpled toes etc).

    As far as going to your local ParkRun....just do it! Or even volunteer to be a marshal. Its a great way to meet people, and there's no reason at all to be apprehensive about it. It's suited for everyone, no matter size, age, or speed. It's a very social event, and I can guarantee that when you go, you will wish you went sooner!
    Last edited by MYK-IT; 3rd September 2014 at 10:22 AM.

  6. #126
    SiliconAlley_Sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    584
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 117 Times in 92 Posts
    Rep Power
    53
    It's more that I just want someone to have a look at my run and tell me what sort of trainers I ought to be going for although I'd happily pay a bit extra if it meant I wasn't hobbling round like an OAP! That said, since I've stopped massively over-doing it my knees have felt fine so it might be that my current trainers are perfectly fine. They are pretty comfy.

  7. #127

    HarryMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedford
    Posts
    1,134
    Thank Post
    56
    Thanked 217 Times in 164 Posts
    Rep Power
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    There's a Park Run very near my house, I just haven't quite worked up the courage to try it yet . I'm hoping another few weeks of the Couch to 5k and I might start feeling ready to run where other people can see me!

    It's bizarre isn't it? If someone told me 3/4 months ago that I'd be enjoying running or that it'd be having such a positive impact on my life I'd have laughed let alone that I'd be absolutely miserable having to take a few weeks off to let my knees recover!
    My graduation run for my C25K was a 5k race in Milton Keynes, the first competitive running I'd done for 40 years ... since I was at school, I was so pleased to finish under the 30 minute mark (In fact I was just pleased to finish), the Parkruns are really good, everyone is there just for a bit of fun but it's amazing how competitive yo become, even with yourself. I've put the Endomondo App on my iphone and that gives me some good feedback on laptimes, fastest 1k etc as well as being able to go onto the website and plan runs on their interactive map.

    I too can't believe the impact that running has made and I just wish I'd started earlier rather than waiting until I was 55 lol

  8. #128
    SiliconAlley_Sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    584
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 117 Times in 92 Posts
    Rep Power
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryMonkey View Post
    My graduation run for my C25K was a 5k race in Milton Keynes, the first competitive running I'd done for 40 years ... since I was at school, I was so pleased to finish under the 30 minute mark (In fact I was just pleased to finish), the Parkruns are really good, everyone is there just for a bit of fun but it's amazing how competitive yo become, even with yourself. I've put the Endomondo App on my iphone and that gives me some good feedback on laptimes, fastest 1k etc as well as being able to go onto the website and plan runs on their interactive map.

    I too can't believe the impact that running has made and I just wish I'd started earlier rather than waiting until I was 55 lol
    Competitive, eh? For someone who has never been particularly good at sports I am unbelievably competitive! I think you'd like a Fitbit. The main appeal for me is being able to constantly compete with myself and other people.

  9. #129

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    872
    Thank Post
    90
    Thanked 165 Times in 140 Posts
    Rep Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    It's more that I just want someone to have a look at my run and tell me what sort of trainers I ought to be going for although I'd happily pay a bit extra if it meant I wasn't hobbling round like an OAP! That said, since I've stopped massively over-doing it my knees have felt fine so it might be that my current trainers are perfectly fine. They are pretty comfy.
    Sore knees are (amongst other things) a clear sign of doing too much, too soon. Either running too far, too long or too quick (or a combination). As I said in earlier posts, rest days are just as important (if not more) as your running/training days. If you have an ache, pain etc. its your body telling you you have done too much, or something is not right. Continuing running, whilst aching or in pain just because you don't like rest days is not really beneficial to anyone, or your body.

    so yes, your trainers may be fine, and it may had been just a case of you doing too much, too soon...but there is no harm in a getting a gait analysis. Usually free, go and find your local SweatShop.

  10. #130
    Tesla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    892
    Thank Post
    125
    Thanked 160 Times in 125 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    63
    I am hoping to start running again soon, had a car accident back in July, and did some ligament damage to my right knee, will build it up, and hope my shins dont flare up!

  11. #131

    HarryMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedford
    Posts
    1,134
    Thank Post
    56
    Thanked 217 Times in 164 Posts
    Rep Power
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    Competitive, eh? For someone who has never been particularly good at sports I am unbelievably competitive! I think you'd like a Fitbit. The main appeal for me is being able to constantly compete with myself and other people.
    I'll have a look at Fitbit.

    I have the Endomondo Life app too (only for iPhone 5) which counts your steps and tells you how many calories you've burned. It runs in the background and doesn't need me to remember to switch it on or anything (appears to have no effect on battery life either). So far today I've done 708 steps and burned 32 calories. Mind you, my phone has been sat on my desk most of the morning lol)

  12. #132
    tommej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    705
    Thank Post
    38
    Thanked 136 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    It's more that I just want someone to have a look at my run and tell me what sort of trainers I ought to be going for although I'd happily pay a bit extra if it meant I wasn't hobbling round like an OAP! That said, since I've stopped massively over-doing it my knees have felt fine so it might be that my current trainers are perfectly fine. They are pretty comfy.
    I had a lot of trouble with my knees around week 4/5. I took a week off to recover and used the time to look at running technique. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo

  13. #133

    HarryMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedford
    Posts
    1,134
    Thank Post
    56
    Thanked 217 Times in 164 Posts
    Rep Power
    173
    Did my first proper outdoor 10k last night. I was doing week 4 Run 1 as part of the Bridge to 10k program and finished my final 18 minute run at around 9k so thought I may as well continue to get the full 10 k in. Completed it on 61 minutes which I was well pleased with, (especially as that included 2 minutes of walking as part of the program).

    What I'm not so well pleased with is the soreness in my achilles afterwards and this morning but hopefully a few days of not running will clear that up.

  14. #134
    SiliconAlley_Sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    584
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 117 Times in 92 Posts
    Rep Power
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryMonkey View Post
    Did my first proper outdoor 10k last night. I was doing week 4 Run 1 as part of the Bridge to 10k program and finished my final 18 minute run at around 9k so thought I may as well continue to get the full 10 k in. Completed it on 61 minutes which I was well pleased with, (especially as that included 2 minutes of walking as part of the program).

    What I'm not so well pleased with is the soreness in my achilles afterwards and this morning but hopefully a few days of not running will clear that up.
    Well done!

  15. Thanks to SiliconAlley_Sam from:

    HarryMonkey (9th September 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23rd June 2010, 10:34 AM
  2. Adding shortcuts to Sims.net
    By eejit in forum Windows
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 22nd June 2005, 03:35 PM
  3. Head on over to surveys
    By Ric_ in forum General EduGeek News/Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20th June 2005, 08:33 AM
  4. Adding you links to the downloads section.
    By edugeekadmin in forum Downloads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th June 2005, 07:44 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •