+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Couch To 5K in General; @ SiliconAlley_Sam , are you looking to start running or are you a runner looking to join a club? If ...

Thank Post
    @SiliconAlley_Sam, are you looking to start running or are you a runner looking to join a club? If it's the latter then have a look at the Parkrun website ... parkrun UK turn up to your local one and there will be plenty of folks there to point you in the right direction. If you're just starting off then you could do a lot worse that to work through the Couch to 5k program like I did.

2. Thanks to HarryMonkey from:

SiliconAlley_Sam (28th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by visioN View Post
    try England Athletics - England Athletics and use the club finder - type run. Not sure how good the finder is though as mine didn't come up :s
    But when you do join a running club they register you to England Athletics and you get an affiliation number so you get in to races for usually £2 cheaper
    Found one that starts just down the road and dropped them an email. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by HarryMonkey View Post
    @SiliconAlley_Sam, are you looking to start running or are you a runner looking to join a club? If it's the latter then have a look at the Parkrun website ... parkrun UK turn up to your local one and there will be plenty of folks there to point you in the right direction. If you're just starting off then you could do a lot worse that to work through the Couch to 5k program like I did.
    I've been treadmill running now for about a month though I'm not sure I'd call myself a runner! I would really like some chums to run with though especially after seeing so many groups out and about last week. I'll check out Parkrun, thank you!

4. Thanks to SiliconAlley_Sam from:

visioN (28th July 2014)

Thank Post
    My running club is quite large so on run nights we have about 5 different groups. Beginners doing about 3mile very slow. Then 12min mile'ing, 10, 9, 8, then 6-7 for the fast dudes. But always re-group etc so no one is left behind. So it caters for everyone, and they have socials throughout the year

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by visioN View Post
    My running club is quite large so on run nights we have about 5 different groups. Beginners doing about 3mile very slow. Then 12min mile'ing, 10, 9, 8, then 6-7 for the fast dudes. But always re-group etc so no one is left behind. So it caters for everyone, and they have socials throughout the year
    That sounds so ideal.

Thank Post
    Yeah, it's a really good setup. When you improve you can move up in the groups etc! Or if you had a heavy weekend you can go slower

Thank Post
    I'm hoping I can find one that suits me - some sort of beginners group would be ideal especially as I'm yet to do anything outside of the comfort (unbearable sauna like heat) of the garage. I'm confident there's one out there, saw so many of them last week, just need to hunt them down!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    I'm hoping I can find one that suits me - some sort of beginners group would be ideal especially as I'm yet to do anything outside of the comfort (unbearable sauna like heat) of the garage. I'm confident there's one out there, saw so many of them last week, just need to hunt them down!
    Try these links ...

CGC Maldon Fitness Club - CGC Maldon

Maldonprom parkrun | Maldonprom parkrun

http://www.tiptreeroadrunners.co.uk/

10. Thanks to HarryMonkey from:

SiliconAlley_Sam (28th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Unfortunately I actually live about a half an hour drive away from Maldon. Thanks a lot for looking though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,823 Posts
    You might find running outside very different to treadmill running - I think to replicate the lack of "give" outside you have to put your treadmill on an incline? I'm sure someone will tell me if I am right or not.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    You might find running outside very different to treadmill running - I think to replicate the lack of "give" outside you have to put your treadmill on an incline? I'm sure someone will tell me if I am right or not.
    Yeah, if you don't have the treadmill on at least a slight incline it's more or less like running downhill.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,823 Posts
    I used to love running downhill on a gentle slope - it was like flying! But going back the other way was a slog, and many a time I have been in tears when, on rounding the final corner, I realised that the hill continued UP

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I used to love running downhill on a gentle slope - it was like flying! But going back the other way was a slog, and many a time I have been in tears when, on rounding the final corner, I realised that the hill continued UP
    Hehe, I went for the first run I'd been on probably since school when I was living in Cornwall at Uni. Was amazed with how easy I found the jog to the beach, decent speed, not feeling overly tired, feeling pretty smug with my completely unexpected fitness finesse... then of course I had to turn round and was faced with the enormous, steep Cornish hills I'd just cruised down. Not quite so fun. I didn't venture out for a run any time soon after that one!

16. Thanks to SiliconAlley_Sam from:

witch (28th July 2014)

Thank Post
    I've hurt my knees so running is currently off the cards. So frustrated!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    I've hurt my knees so running is currently off the cards. So frustrated!
    Sounds like you've run too far/fast too soon (and/or trainers aren't suitable e.g. gait analysis). Back down a bit when you feel better, and build up back again 'gradually'.

Take small steps, only change one factor at a time (duration, pace or distance) and remember listen to your body, if something doesn't feel right, then rest (as long as you need too). Rest days are just as important, as the training/running days.

Follow @UKRunChat on Twitter, great running community for all! You'll get great support, tips and possible meet-ups!

Even I'm having a rest day today but I did run a marathon yesterday with Amy (Twitter @53Marathons) who is running 53 marathons in 53 days!

Enjoy your running!

Thank Post
    I really don't like rest days. They make me feel lazy and restless! But yes, I am trying to rest up, especially as it hurts to walk at the minute.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast