+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Couch To 5K in General; Originally Posted by tommej As suspected my tracks was massively inaccurate! Closer to 10min/mile with endomondo. Haven't been able to ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tommej View Post
    As suspected my tracks was massively inaccurate! Closer to 10min/mile with endomondo. Haven't been able to run much this week pain in calf/shins .

I also prefer to run in the rain Harry, although I did almost get caught in a thunderstorm which almost made me cack my pants .
    About the shins and pains. Whatever you do don't push yourself. Especially if it's pain and not an ache. Better to take two weeks out and get back into it quickly than push yourself for a few extra sessions and end up putting yourself out for a few months. I learnt that the hard way.

Thank Post
    I'd say it's more of an ache. Managed week 8 day 1 on Friday without it being anymore painful. We'll see how it goes!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tommej View Post
    I'd say it's more of an ache. Managed week 8 day 1 on Friday without it being anymore painful. We'll see how it goes!
    Good luck with week 8. I found that whilst it got that bit harder towards the end, I was actually enjoying it more as the weeks went by.

Thank Post
    I did my first Parkrun on Saturday in Bedford Park. had a really good run. It was nice to do a group run rather than just a training schedule. There were 250 of us doing a 5k, I came in a creditable (I think) 176th. I'm not too sure about the timings. My Endomondo tracker had me do the 5k in 29:25 whereas the course that they had marked. Endomondo had as 5.17k which I did in 29:59.

I still enjoyed it though and plan to make it a regular feature.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There's quitee a few park runs dotted around the area, MK, Bedford, Aylesbury, Northampton, Buckingham. Bucks one is new but my old man says it's a very good route.

Congratulations @HarryMonkey I might do one or two again in the summer if my shins feel up to it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    There's quitee a few park runs dotted around the area, MK, Bedford, Aylesbury, Northampton, Buckingham. Bucks one is new but my old man says it's a very good route.

Congratulations @HarryMonkey I might do one or two again in the summer if my shins feel up to it.
    The good thing about the Bedford one is that the start line is a 5 minute warm up walk away from my front door

Fingers crossed for the shins.

Thank Post
    Managed my first 10k last night ... admittedly it was on the treadmill, came in at around 64 minutes. Was hot and drenched but well chuffed at running that far

8. Thanks to HarryMonkey from:

Tesla (18th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Another Parkrun completed on Saturday, 5k in 28:04, knocked nearly two minutes off my previous best so well chuffed with that, especially considering how hot it was on Saturday morning

Thank Post
    I really need to get back on this. I've started running again so many times only to be hit with knee or ankle injuries. I'm starting to lose hope and think running isn't for me

Thank Post
    I did a parkrun on Sat too - they're really good! The heat definitely slows you down so I expect you to get 27:xx next time @HarryMonkey

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Brown View Post
    I really need to get back on this. I've started running again so many times only to be hit with knee or ankle injuries. I'm starting to lose hope and think running isn't for me
    Get some decent running shoes - this helped me as my knees would hurt running on road until I changed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by visioN View Post
    Get some decent running shoes - this helped me as my knees would hurt running on road until I changed.
    Got some a few years back and they definitely made a huge difference. Was managing 10k three times a week last summer with the new shoes. I think I just keep on trying to do too much too soon whenever I start again but I'm almost convinced the world is against me when it comes to running.

Thank Post
    Kept coming across running groups last week after work during my evening jaunt to Tesco to pick up dinner. How do you go about joining one of these things? Had a Google and couldn't find anything on there about groups in my area. Do I just start marauding about the place after work during the week and collar someone?

The treadmill is getting tiresome.

Thank Post
    Start off gradually and work up. Don't go straight in expecting to do 10k straight off. Do some interval training to build up (15-1-15-1-15) running and walking to build up, if you feel that your pushing too hard then slow down a wee bit, gradually extend the 15 min run by a couple of minutes and your legs will start to get used to it again. Make sure you warm up with a 5 min brisk walk rather than going straight into the run. We can become our own worst enemies by trying to do too much too quickly and it's just counter productive.

16. Thanks to HarryMonkey from:

SiliconAlley_Sam (28th July 2014)

Thank Post
    try England Athletics - England Athletics and use the club finder - type run. Not sure how good the finder is though as mine didn't come up :s
    But when you do join a running club they register you to England Athletics and you get an affiliation number so you get in to races for usually £2 cheaper

18. Thanks to visioN from:

SiliconAlley_Sam (28th July 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast