+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Couch To 5K in General; Hi all, just resurrecting this thread to ask how all the New Years resolution C25Kers are getting on? Did you ...

Thank Post
    Hi all, just resurrecting this thread to ask how all the New Years resolution C25Kers are getting on? Did you graduate? Are you still running?

I had to stop for a month as I managed to damage my ankle, but got back to it and graduated about a month ago. I've been running three times a week since then - gradually working my distances up. Considering whether to push towards 10K - time is my main problem with that as between work, my kids and a husband who works long hours, I struggle to find the time to run as it is. Thinking maybe one long run a week is the way to go, and see where it leads me.

I think I must be a proper runner now, I have some stupidly expensive trainers (a necessity as my old ones were responsible for trashing my ankle), and am getting a Garmin watch for my birthday. It seems that runners are uber-geeks and they love a bit of kit!

Thank Post
    My Missus gave up on hers at 3k because of recurring knee pain. She's now doing the Davina workout and a weekly circuits class.

Thank Post
    Well, after a while of having an injury that stopped me running and then moving house, I've finally taken to the road again (or to the park to be precise). I've done a few 5k runs over the last few weeks and have now started to run 6k. Following the success to of the "Couch to 5k" programme, I've decided to embark on the "Bridge To 10k". This is a similar schedule of podcasts to take you from running 5k to being able to run 10k in just 6 weeks. The plan is to start that next week and hopefully being able to do a 10k run by the time I hit 56 in August. It's quite a daunting prospect, but IIRC, so was the 5k before I started it. Anyway, nothing ventured etc etc.

Thank Post
    Oh, that sounds good, @HarryMonkey. Let me know how the 10K podcasts go. I've bust my ankle at the moment so am having some time off (and physio next week, yay) but was up to around 6-6.5k before I stopped. Depending on how the physio goes, I would like to do 10K this Autumn (there is a good one along the sea front down here and apparently it has a fabulous goody bag).

I am even (*whisper*) wondering whether next year I might train up for a HM before I turn 40. Haven't told anyone IRL about that yet.

Thank Post
    Ouch. I broke mine a few years ago so I know what you're going through.

I don't foresee me getting to half marathon running. I will count myself lucky if I can do the 10k tbh.

Thank Post
    I'm struggling with w6d2 right now. I think the break in the middle throws me off, think i'd prefer just to keep running!

Thank Post
    I found that too but it's worth sticking with the plan. It does work.

Thank Post
    I found once I'd gotten 5k under my belt and found a pace I was comfortable with it wasn't that big a push to up it to 10k. I remember it taking me about 3 months to get from 0 to 5k and feeling comfortable doing it and then only about 2 weeks to go from 5k to 10k.

If you think you can do it then go for it. No point arbitrarily restricting yourself just because some app tells you to. Even now after running for a few years I find it difficult to get going again once I've stopped for a pee or quick rest. Give it a go and if you can't make it then go back to the app the next time you go out.

Thank Post
    Absolutely nailed week 7 day 1 yesterday, averaged 6min/mile apparently! Was well chuffed

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tommej View Post
    Absolutely nailed week 7 day 1 yesterday, averaged 6min/mile apparently! Was well chuffed
    Week 7 - For the runs in Week 7, you will begin with a brisk 5-minute warm-up walk then 25 minutes of running.

6min/mile is a very good speed, so you did about 4 miles in 25 minutes, which is well over a 5k already!

Thank Post
    I started the "bridge to 10k" program last night ... W1R1. Covered 7k in total in 47 mins (although I extended my run a bit to push myself to finish the 7k). It was a fair bit harder than I thought it would be and looking at my stats on the Endomondo app, I slowed down quite a bit as the run progressed. Having said that it was hot last night, even at 7pm so that may have had something to do with it, have a rest tonight (or maybe take the bike out) and hit the park again tomorrow. I'm determined to get to the end but I suspect it may be a lot harder than he C25K program was.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by visioN View Post
    Week 7 - For the runs in Week 7, you will begin with a brisk 5-minute warm-up walk then 25 minutes of running.

6min/mile is a very good speed, so you did about 4 miles in 25 minutes, which is well over a 5k already!
    I'm not convinced by the accuracy of the google my tracks app, I'll have to give endomondo app a try on Friday.

Thank Post
    started running again last May with Swindon Shin Splints (stopped football/running due to a knee problem) beginners programme. Did 5k run last night (second in a series of 3 called Back in a Flash) but have done a number of 5 mile, 5k and 10k races over the year. Longest run so far was 13miles but the last 2 miles were dreadful. Like running in the rain; don't do so good in the heat.

Started swimming in September and managed to do 100m front crawl and 200m breaststroke on Monday. Hoping to do Highworth Tri-athlon in September and Swindon Half Marathon in October providing I stay injury free.

Thank Post
    Did a nice run in the rain on Friday, I'd forgotten how enjoyable wet weather running was. Not sure it was any easier but was certainly cooler and then finished off Week 1 on Sunday with a run on the treadmill. I'm not over impressed with treadmill running, at least outside there are things to see, you can create yourself a bit of breeze. Pros ... easier to maintain a constant speed, can have a towel and water to hand, useful stats available at a glance. Cons ... harder to speed up/slow down at the run/walk changeover, boring. Just as hot as running outside, no natural gradients so it's easier to do the whole run on the flat (yes, I know I can introduce gradients but that's just an extra task to perform and what percentage incline and for how long?).

Start week 2 tonight, extending the run interval to 15 minutes (x3) with a 1 minute walk .. more running but in fewer bursts.

- - - Updated - - -

Did a nice run in the rain on Friday, I'd forgotten how enjoyable wet weather running was. Not sure it was any easier but was certainly cooler and then finished off Week 1 on Sunday with a run on the treadmill. I'm not over impressed with treadmill running, at least outside there are things to see, you can create yourself a bit of breeze. Pros ... easier to maintain a constant speed, can have a towel and water to hand, useful stats available at a glance. Cons ... harder to speed up/slow down at the run/walk changeover, boring. Just as hot as running outside, no natural gradients so it's easier to do the whole run on the flat (yes, I know I can introduce gradients but that's just an extra task to perform and what percentage incline and for how long?).

Start week 2 tonight, extending the run interval to 15 minutes (x3) with a 1 minute walk .. more running but in fewer bursts.

Thank Post
    As suspected my tracks was massively inaccurate! Closer to 10min/mile with endomondo. Haven't been able to run much this week pain in calf/shins .

I also prefer to run in the rain Harry, although I did almost get caught in a thunderstorm which almost made me cack my pants .
    Last edited by tommej; 4th July 2014 at 03:43 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast